They're trying to put an "NJ" in the Rutgers logo

Bobby

SUNY Buffalo (aka Univ. at Buffalo) is usually referred to UB or just Buffalo possibly to pretend to be private, but it's formal name is The State University of New York at Buffalo, I believe it is the largest state univ. in NY, but the state doesn't designate just one university they have a whole system, SUNY (State Universities of New York)

saBS.png

Glassboro State ---> Rowan College (somebody correct me if I have this one wrong)

It's actually been upgraded to Rowan University. But in this case, the name change was prompted by a $10 million donation by the Rowan family. Once the name became Rowan, there was little reason to keep the "State" around.

It's similar to happened down your way, when Western Maryland College became McDaniel College.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Glassboro State ---> Rowan College (somebody correct me if I have this one wrong)

It's actually been upgraded to Rowan University. But in this case, the name change was prompted by a $10 million donation by the Rowan family. Once the name became Rowan, there was little reason to keep the "State" around.

It's similar to happened down your way, when Western Maryland College became McDaniel College.

One slight difference, doctor -- Western Maryland/McDaniel is was a private college. It was named after the Western Maryland Railroad, whose most famous engine, the Green Terror, provided the inspiration for the school's nickname -- the Green Terror.

The name change came about because (1) many prospective students assumed it was a state school and (2) thought it was located in the wilds of western Maryland, when it is really in central Maryland (the Baltimore exurbs now, more or less, since Westminster has become more of a bedroom community). As for how the McDaniel name was chosen, it was based on longtime contributions to the school.

From the college website:

On July 1, 2002, the name officially changed to McDaniel College in honor of William Roberts McDaniel, whose 65-year association with the College as student, professor, administrator, trustee, parent, and grandparent helped shape its destiny and today personifies its mission.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

One slight difference, doctor -- Western Maryland/McDaniel is a private college. It was named after the Western Maryland Railroad, whose most famous engine, the Green Terror, provided the inspiration for the school's nickname -- the Green Terror.

The name change came about because (1) many prospective students assumed it was a state school and (2) thought it was located in the wilds of western Maryland, when it is really in central Maryland (the Baltimore exurbs now, more or less, since Westminster has become more of a bedroom community). As for how the McDaniel name was chosen, it was based on longtime contributions to the school.

Ah, you're right. And I should've known better - my cousin graduated from McDaniel a year after the name was changed. He, like many, was not happy with the decision.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

ALL the Pennsylvania state schools have dropped "State" (i.e., Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg and so on)

Yes, but most (if not all) include the suffix "of Pennsylvania" at the end (most notably my alma-mater, Indiana University of Pennsylvania.) It still seems like non-local media refers to the schools as Kutztown State, Indiana (PA) State, West Chester State, etc.

Also, Mike (I love it when people use each other's real names in public posts - it's kind of like we have some kind of inside thing going on... or not.)

You'd be surprised how many people in Pennsylvania don't know that Rutgers is basically the SU of NJ. If I didn't ask some questions back in the day when they had "New Jersey" as part of their logo (back when it actually read "Rutgers" on their helmets) I'm not sure when it would have been made apparent to me. I know that outside of my friends who are well-versed in academia, not many would be able to identify NJ's top state school.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, Mike (I love it when people use each other's real names in public posts - it's kind of like we have some kind of inside thing going on... or not.)

You'd be surprised how many people in Pennsylvania don't know that Rutgers is basically the SU of NJ. If I didn't ask some questions back in the day when they had "New Jersey" as part of their logo (back when it actually read "Rutgers" on their helmets) I'm not sure when it would have been made apparent to me. I know that outside of my friends who are well-versed in academia, not many would be able to identify NJ's top state school.

That's interesting, Bjørn (I love when people make up names in public posts... don't you, Bjørn Andy? :D CCSLC PhillyMob is teh roxxors!!1!one!!ein!1!!11!!uno!!). I never realized how many people didn't get the Rutgers/SUNJ connection; on this side of the river, you just take it for granted. Then again, how many Pennsylvanians don't know that the University of Pennsylvania isn't a public university?

2007nleastchamps.png

Then again, how many Pennsylvanians don't know that the University of Pennsylvania isn't a public university?

Reminds me of one of my favo(u)rite shirts I used to occasionally see in U.C.:

(I couldn't find a pic, so I'm gonna' do my best here. Shirt is navy. Replace red letters with white. Replace navy letters with red outlined with white. Font is varsity block.)

NOT

PENN

STATE

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's interesting, Bjørn (I love when people make up names in public posts... don't you, Bjørn Andy? :D CCSLC PhillyMob is teh roxxors!!1!one!!ein!1!!11!!uno!!). I never realized how many people didn't get the Rutgers/SUNJ connection; on this side of the river, you just take it for granted. Then again, how many Pennsylvanians don't know that the University of Pennsylvania isn't a public university?

Or that California University is in...California, PA?

Its not as common knowledge as one would like to think...there are a few other schools with this problem and outside of their state/region/conference people don't really realize they are state schools or even where they are located.

Similar schools:

Purdue (Indiana)

Auburn (Alabama)

Clemson (South Carolina)

I'm not sure every school would see that as a problem. There has been a mad rush in recent years by state schools trying to sound like private schools, either by dropping the "State" from the name or changing the name completely.

Examples --

Towson State ---> Towson Univ.

Salisbury State ---> Salisbury Univ.

ALL the Pennsylvania state schools have dropped "State" (i.e., Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg and so on)

St. Mary's College of Maryland just never took the "State" name in the first place.

SUNY Albany ---> The University at Albany

You forgot one, a GLARING omission (for those in the know)...

Troy State University ---> Troy University

Troy State just SOUNDS better, imo.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For whatever reason, they are still refered to as TSU in the Columbus area.

For whatever reason, they are still refered to as TSU in the Columbus area.

Probably because they haven't heard of the change yet. That's just my guess.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived