Boston Bruins Rebranding

GFB

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I think you found something for the B's better the spoked wheel crest. Your bear is so good it's just not fair.

That said, my biggest complaint is the relative lack of brown in the concept. I know what you mean about black and brown not going well together, and I could not agree more. However, the addition of brown into the spoked B is prominent enough that the uniform looks like it could use a little bit of brown.

Fortunately, I think there is an easy solution that would work all the way across this concept. By virtue of their name, bruins are always brown (any elementary French teacher can tell you why). So I've never quite understood how a team that should wear brown somehow wound up with black instead. And as much as the Bruins' black and gold look is timeless and iconic, brown is really a more fitting option. So why not two-tone the brown, and get rid of black entirely? Make a brown that is dark enough to serve in place of black - not so light that it's the milk chocolate color in your concept alt, because that isn't dark enough to replace black. Maybe somewhere between the milk chocolate color and black. Just brown enough to know that it isn't black - about as brown as the Yankees' midnight blue is blue and not black.

Then, use the milk chocolate brown (or go a little lighter if you wanted to sharpen the contrast between the two browns) for the bear, and for the shadowing effects in the spoked B. The brown would be dark enough that you could go with white or gold numbers and trim effects, and it would all work fine.

Beyond that, this is another ridiculously strong concept. I am really liking this whole project, and look forward to all the rest! Bravo.

Pretty much took the words right off my fingertips.

I will add this, though: that bear, awesome as it is, just seems a tadbit at a weird angle. Maybe it's the top plane of the head that looks like it's not exactly parallel to the horizontal axis of the wordmark...but still an absolutely AMAZING BEAR NONETHELESS.

I think a two-tome brown would work, too...a dreally dark, Milky Way-type brown, like D said (somewhere in the neighborhood of PMS 469 or 504), complement that with the current yellow, and accent it with a taupe or something along that line, which is pretty much what you have now, and then BAM!

I'll third that motion. I think a black-brown could really drive this concept home.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump, for 2 reasons. One, I have loved the first 2 concepts in this set, I think this more than deserves some more discussion. The Isles and Bruins look better by far, which is saying something, given that neither team looked bad to begin with. Two, I took your original concept for this thread and tried out by idea of going with dual browns.

The lighter shade of brown that you used as the accent color in the spoked "B" is unchanged. The black from your original concept has been replaced by the darkest brown I could come up with that looked brown. The difference in the two shades is such that I didn't have to alter your brown accent color; in fact, when I tried to lighten it up, it actually wound up looking worse. So I left it alone. The darker shade did what I thought it would: serve as a very good substitute for black as the uniform's definitive dark color, thus eliminating the need for black in the Bruins look. However, it's light enough that you can tell it's not black. This way, you are freed up to use either shade of brown.

My biggest knock on the original concept was that this concept needed more brown, which was problematic given the tendency not to pair black with brown. Going double brown may have solved this problem.

The only place I went back and added some black was on your bear head. The mouth is black, as are the nose and the areas around the eyes. I figured with the bear's face now being brown - especially the part that is in shadow - there needed to be something darker to accentuate the open mouth and the nose apart from the darker brown that I used for the dark areas of the bear.

For the record, the original is on the left; my changes are on the right side of the bright blue line. My brown is darker than the milk chocolate color from the original alternate version of the alternate. I hope this isn't out of line, and I am not trying to threadjack; I was hoping this would better demonstrate what I was driving at.

BOSbruinsbrown2.png

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Really solid job here. The bear head is absolutely fantastic and would be perfect image for Memphis, a much better solution than this:

793.gif

The B is ok, I just dont think the current spoked B will ever change, and will always be their primary logo. The typeface of the B doesnt really match the franchise. Neither does the wordmark, but it's so damn good I dont care. Great work.

SnapHookSig_435x108.jpg

Bump, for 2 reasons. One, I have loved the first 2 concepts in this set, I think this more than deserves some more discussion. The Isles and Bruins look better by far, which is saying something, given that neither team looked bad to begin with. Two, I took your original concept for this thread and tried out by idea of going with dual browns.

The lighter shade of brown that you used as the accent color in the spoked "B" is unchanged. The black from your original concept has been replaced by the darkest brown I could come up with that looked brown. The difference in the two shades is such that I didn't have to alter your brown accent color; in fact, when I tried to lighten it up, it actually wound up looking worse. So I left it alone. The darker shade did what I thought it would: serve as a very good substitute for black as the uniform's definitive dark color, thus eliminating the need for black in the Bruins look. However, it's light enough that you can tell it's not black. This way, you are freed up to use either shade of brown.

My biggest knock on the original concept was that this concept needed more brown, which was problematic given the tendency not to pair black with brown. Going double brown may have solved this problem.

The only place I went back and added some black was on your bear head. The mouth is black, as are the nose and the areas around the eyes. I figured with the bear's face now being brown - especially the part that is in shadow - there needed to be something darker to accentuate the open mouth and the nose apart from the darker brown that I used for the dark areas of the bear.

For the record, the original is on the left; my changes are on the right side of the bright blue line. My brown is darker than the milk chocolate color from the original alternate version of the alternate. I hope this isn't out of line, and I am not trying to threadjack; I was hoping this would better demonstrate what I was driving at.

BOSbruinsbrown2.png

No problems here.

I actually like the double-brown look. It gives it an almost UPS feel, which is completely fine in my book.

My only question would be are the Bruins fans out there ready for a yellow/brown color scheme? By the response so far, it would seem so...

GFB

BOSbruinsbrown2.png

Very nice edit. I think the double brown should be the way the bruins should go. Also I cant wait to find out what team you are doing next. So far this is imo one of the best series on CCSLC ever!!

"Cat Eyes" - Josh

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Also I cant wait to find out what team you are doing next.

Sorry man, but you really need to read the first post...

My next team will be the Ottawa Senators

Thanks for the praise though....

GFB

• 3 weeks later...

Archived