2007 Summer Transfer Window (Soccer)

MrAsterisk

Speaking of Atletico, I'm shocked that no one here mentioned their signing of Simao. They look to be pretty formidable heading into the new season. I'm curious how they'll find a way to lose themselves into the Intertoto Cup this time around.

yeah, I was going to say, too bad soccer matches aren't played on notepads, because Atletico always look good on paper. Also, don't they have Diego Forlan, too? Good grief, I would make "couldn't finish a glass of water" jokes but he's turned out alright since moving to Spain.

Reyes: good riddance to bad rubbish.

harperdc.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, I was going to say, too bad soccer matches aren't played on notepads, because Atletico always look good on paper. Also, don't they have Diego Forlan, too?

And Maniche. And Maxi Rodriguez. And Luis Garcia. And they recently acquired 21-year-old Raul Garcia from Osasuna who is going to be totally sick by the time his contract is up in Madrid. Still, I remember watching Barcelona's 5-0 demolition of Atletico earlier this year and thinking "what a poor, poor club."

Atletico is like a poor, creative man's version of the Real Madrid galacticos. I note how there's no defenders listed there, either, which furthers the similarities.

let's all keep in mind how much the Galacticos won too. Ronaldo, Figo, Raul, Beckham, Zidane, Roberto Carlos...how many trophies together?

harperdc.gif

Fresh off of Soccernet. The biggest move of the Transfer Period... about to be eclipsed by another one!

The biggest move so far...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...946&cc=3888

£2m Hammers deal paves way for Tevez move

LONDON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - West Ham United have reached a £2million ($4.07 million) settlement with Carlos Tevez's representatives that will allow the Argentina striker to leave the club, West Ham announced on Friday.

The deal paves the way for Tevez to join Premier League champions Manchester United and ends a long transfer saga which centred on who owned the striker.

West Ham hold his registration but his agent Kia Joorabchian said he and his companies owned his economic rights. On July 24, Joorabchian's firms served a High Court writ on West Ham to try and resolve the matter.

'The settlement ends the current litigation taking place between the respective parties and provides for a £2 million fee to be paid to West Ham United,' the club said on their website.

'The agreement confirms that West Ham United do have a valid player's contract with Carlos Tevez and hold the registration of the player. This will be released once the agreed fee has been paid to the club.'

The Premier League cleared the settlement. 'This will lead to the cancellation of Tevez's registration, thereby releasing him to join another club in due course,' it said in a statement.

West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson said: 'I am obviously pleased that we have finally reached the end of this saga through agreement and common sense.

'I wish Carlos Tevez well for the next stage of his playing career. He is a fine player and I am sure he will be successful wherever he plays football.'

The settlement was welcomed by Manchester United's website with the comment: 'Reds transfer target Carlos Tevez has been given the all-clear to join United.'

Tevez made an impact at Old Trafford on the final day of last season, scoring the winner as West Ham beat United 1-0.

Off the pitch, the 23-year-old striker's contract with West Ham has long been a source of controversy.

The east London club avoided a points deduction but were fined £5.5 million in April for breaking Premier League rules which outlaw third-party ownership when they signed Tevez last August.

They were only allowed to continue playing him after satisfying the Premier League that the third-party agreement with Joorabchian had been torn up.

Tevez and his contract also played a key role in last season's battles against relegation. His six goals in the closing nine games of the season proved decisive as West Ham avoided the drop.

Sheffield United, who were relegated, argued the Hammers should have been docked points - which would have kept the Yorkshire club up - over the Tevez contract affair.

The Blades took their case to arbitration, only to have the original fine upheld by a tribunal.

...and a move that may make the Tevez move pale in comparison (money-wise, at lesat)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...182&cc=3888

Real 'make £27m offer for Ballack, Robben

MADRID, Aug 4 (Reuters) - Real Madrid have offered Chelsea a combined bid of up to £27million for Germany captain Michael Ballack and Dutch winger Arjen Robben, Spanish media reported on Saturday.

The Spanish champions have been negotiating for Robben for a number of weeks, but the sudden inclusion of midfielder Ballack in the deal comes as something of a surprise.

Media said Real were lining up a five-year deal for Robben, 23, and one of three years for Ballack.

The Germany captain, who turns 31 next month, has struggled to adapt to life in the Premier League after moving from Bayern Munich on a free transfer in May 2006.

Real's new coach Bernd Schuster, a former Germany international, said he wanted a player of Ballack's characteristics a week ago.

Robben has been stalling over signing a contract extension at Chelsea, though his current deal has two years left to run.

The pacy, left-footed winger joined the Londoners from PSV Eindhoven for £15million in 2004 but has struggled with inconsistency and injury in his three years at the club.

Real have made no secret of their desire to sign Robben since president Ramon Calderon promised to bring him to the Bernabeu when he took office last year.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I can't see Chelsea accepting that deal. Robben is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million pounds on his own.

Not to mention, Tevez hasn't been the biggest move. Perhaps the one that will have the greatest effect, but the all-around "biggest" was Henry, no doubt.

I can't see Chelsea accepting that deal. Robben is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million pounds on his own.

Dunno, it may be £20 million for Robben and £7 million for Ballack's bum ankle. :P

Not to mention, Tevez hasn't been the biggest move. Perhaps the one that will have the greatest effect, but the all-around "biggest" was Henry, no doubt.

Definitely from the on-field view, but the Tevez affair dwarfs the Henry deal in terms of words typed and courtroom shenanigans. :D

I still don't understand United going after Tevez. After all, they already have a hideous-looking midget playing as support striker: Wayne Rooney. ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Real Madrid are appearently now trying to get Kim Kallstrom from Lyon after their attempt at Kaka failed. Methinks they are just trying to weaken Lyon so we don't kick their asses 3 years in a row in the Champions League.

OK Mr. "We got smoked by Roma before we knew it" :P

Real Madrid are appearently now trying to get Kim Kallstrom from Lyon after their attempt at Kaka failed. Methinks they are just trying to weaken Lyon so we don't kick their asses 3 years in a row in the Champions League.

OK Mr. "We got smoked by Roma before we knew it" :P

That was back in the days of Houlier. This is the Perrin dynasty now. Hell Lyon's already won 2 trophies this season, and Ligue only starts today. (bow)

1zqy8ok.gif

I love how that purchase completely ignores the fact that John Arne Riise is still one of their top wingers....and Rafa's ignoring that Zenden started the Champion's League final....

Can you blame him on the latter?

Speaking of you, you may need to sneak on board a plane for Leeds. Your club needs you!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ted/6915926.stm

Leeds Utd face goalkeeping crisis

By Chris Bevan

Leeds United will have to start the season without a goalkeeper unless their transfer embargo is lifted.

Deals have been lined up for Brondby keeper Casper Ankergren and Watford's Scott Loach but they cannot sign while Leeds remain in limbo.

The club is relying on the Football League giving them special dispensation to bolster their squad.

And assistant boss Gus Poyet told BBC Sport: "I hope we can sign someone - if not I am not sure who will play there."

Each member club has a share in the Football League but the League's board has withheld the transfer of Leeds' share to Ken Bates after he struck a deal to buy back the club from administrators KPMG on 11 July.

It means Leeds - who did not pay their players for June - are still unable to add to their threadbare squad ahead of the start of the new season on 11 August.

However, the Football League's transfer embargo rules for clubs in administration are flexible in regard to the number of professionals they have registered.

If that number falls below 20, as in the case of Leeds, then clubs can apply to the League for permission to bring players in.

United manager Dennis Wise has confirmed he hopes to strike a permanent deal for Ankergren, 27, who had a spell on loan at Elland Road last season.

And a loan is expected to be agreed with the Hornets for 19-year-old Loach who, along with former Chelsea trainee Nick Hamman, travelled on Leeds' pre-season tour of Germany, but cannot sign formally yet.

"As everyone knows, one of our problems is that our players have not been paid, although it looks like they are going to be paid very soon," added Poyet.

"The other is that we cannot sign players and that is a problem. We want to add to our squad and we don't have a goalkeeper attached to the club.

"Normally we would have a plan. When you look to sign a keeper you have a first, second and third choice so if you don't get one player you can try for another one.

"But at the moment we are still waiting. We have Scott training with us but he cannot sign yet and everything could change.

"Of course, you want to have your players attached to the club. You need to know he is going to play so you can train with him and the back four together so they can get to know each other.

"Let's hope it can be worked out."

Leeds took a 20-man squad to Germany that included several academy graduates, three other trialists - David Prutton, Leon Constantine and Curtis Weston - and three out-of-contract players seeking a new deal - Alan Thompson, Matt Heath and Rui Marques.

Veteran striker Tore-Andre Flo, 34, is to be offered a new contract despite missing the tour as he recovers from the broken foot that has kept him out since January.

Dennis Wise's side lost all three of their games, against Union Berlin, FC Slovan Liberec and Energie Cottbus.

Jon Douglas and Rob Bayley did travel but will miss Leeds' opening day League One game against Tranmere through suspension.

Poyet admits he and Wise have few options to work with but says they are determined not to let their heads drop.

"We are trying to cope and really pleased with the lads who have been with us - training, travelling and playing - in our circumstances," the Uruguayan explained.

"In a few positions we are missing a few players but we will keep working really hard with the players we have got just in case this situation continues.

"If we can add a few players that would be great but if that does not happen we need to make sure we have a team ready for the beginning of the season."

And Poyet remains hopeful that the turmoil at Elland Road will soon be over.

"The only thing we want is to be free as a club to act as we want as soon as possible," he said.

"Every day I wake up and I think it's going to be the day. I can't wait for that phone call that says we are back to normal and back in business."

Good sir, there's not enough space on this board to fully describe all of LUFC's woes at the moment. As it stands, we have a 15 pt deduction, thanks squarely to KPMG and Generalissimo Ken Bates. Wonderful.

Good sir, there's not enough space on this board to fully describe all of LUFC's woes at the moment. As it stands, we have a 15 pt deduction, thanks squarely to KPMG and Generalissimo Ken Bates. Wonderful.

Get ready for the West Yorkshire derby with Bradford United in League Two!

Archived