2007 Summer Transfer Window (Soccer)

MrAsterisk

I love how that purchase completely ignores the fact that John Arne Riise is still one of their top wingers....and Rafa's ignoring that Zenden started the Champion's League final....

harperdc.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit surprised that no one's mentioned the transfer of Fernando Torres from Atletico Madrid to Liverpool for 26.5 million pounds and midfielder Luis Garcia (I think Garcia's transfer will reduce the cost, IIRC). A rather risky move, if you ask me. For all of the hype, he's never scored more than 15 goals in a season in a system that's more open than the one employed by Rafa. Esta es Anfield and all that, I guess...

Another of Rafa's failure signings, i'm sure of it.

Jeez, what is this guy's track record with the purchases? For every Xabi, he gets three other stiffs. And it doesn't seem like he's gotten many Xabis, looking at his tenure overall...

Im surprised many Euro Soccer Stars dont try to become kickers in the NFL I bet theyd be great at it.

They can't afford the pay cut...

Many European (or international) soccer leagues are much bigger than the NFL. For almost every soccer player going to the NFL would be a HUGE step down. That seems to be something most Americans can't grasp. Not to pick on you Tank because I thought the same thing before I got into soccer after the World Cup last year. Basically its like saying why don't more NFL Stars go play Rugby.

Also soccer is their passion, why should they do something else just because they are good at it? Its like saying a MLB pitcher should give up baseball and play professional handball because he has good accuracy.

Carlos Tevez has reportedly agreed to a move to Man United,but last i read the Premier League will block it,until they are sure where the transfer fee is going...its supposed to be a 12 month loan,with a permanent move in 08.

Bayern are gonna be pretty scary this year....Klose and Luca Toni should score buckets of goals together.

Carlos Tevez has reportedly agreed to a move to Man United,but last i read the Premier League will block it,until they are sure where the transfer fee is going...its supposed to be a 12 month loan,with a permanent move in 08.

Bayern are gonna be pretty scary this year....Klose and Luca Toni should score buckets of goals together.

Guess I should read the latest news before i post lol

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...721&cc=5901

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

the 'ownership' situation of Tevez alone would put me off from Arsenal getting involved, though it appears he is headed to Old Trafford. The Prem are going to keep this transfer airtight though for sure.

I wonder what striker(s) is/are going to leave...perhaps the rumored Alan Smith move to Newcastle?

harperdc.gif

I love how that purchase completely ignores the fact that John Arne Riise is still one of their top wingers....and Rafa's ignoring that Zenden started the Champion's League final....

Liverpool have got more money still to spend, and also signed a new left winger from Argentina (Sebastian Leto) to platoon with the returning Harry Kewell.

Expect another winger/versatile attacking type player before the transfer window closes.

Striker was a major weakpoint of the existing squad in the opinion of pretty much all the fans. Watching the team dominate games, then create too few chances, and fail to convert those when they arose became damn frustrating.

Luis Garcia would have walked on a Bosman after this season as his family never settled in Liverpool and he wanted a return to Spain, so cashing in wasn't that silly.

liverpool-1.png

oh, I don't doubt that a top-shelf striker was needed - we're in the same boat. but still...

and trust me, I understand the sentiment of controlling than not putting the chances away - I'm an Arsenal fan, remember? Nobody built up prettier to only then work too hard for a bad shot like us last year.

harperdc.gif

Bayern's going to implode when this edition of Galacticos-German Style! finds themselves still behind Stuttgart, Werder, and Schalke come February.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Bayern's going to implode when this edition of Galacticos-German Style! finds themselves still behind Stuttgart, Werder, and Schalke come February.

Not to mention Dortmund too if they've learned that the season doesn't begin in late March

UWMpanthers.gifgold_14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

You see, you pay for enough Masses at your local church, and you'll spring out of Purgatory sooner or later! :D

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsid...to_benfica.html

Urgent: Freddy to Benfica Very Close

Freddy Adu and Benfica have reached a tentative deal on a contract and the teenage star will head to Portugal on Sunday with hopes of finalizing it.

"It's 99 percent done -- the deal is very good," a source close to the 18-year-old midfielder said this evening.

Adu told the Insider that on Saturday he will fly from Salt Lake City to Washington to rejoin his family instead of playing for Real Salt Lake against visiting New England. Adu, his agent, Richard Motzkin, and his mother will then depart for Lisbon the following day, the source said.

MLS and Benfica have already agreed to a $2 million fee for his rights.

Adu declined to discuss the status of the negotiations, but told the Insider, "I found out about everything today and my head is just spinning right now. I don't want to say anything else."

Motzkin said he did not want to comment.

If and when the deal is finalized, RSL will receive at least $400,000 in allocation money from MLS to acquire a player. However, $150,000 of it, as well as RSL's third-round draft choice next year, will go to D.C. United as part of the complicated trade last winter that sent Adu to Utah.

Good move for Freddy? Your thoughts?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The selfish side of me wishes that he would have went to the English Premier League instead. But, this is good for Freddy as it will put him with a great team with a great track record. Hopefully this will lead to better things for him (especially when he represents the U.S. men's team).

And as for Real Salt Lake...they are getting more and more unwatchable. I was going to watch the game tonight, but maybe I'll watch the SuperLiga on my computer instead. LA Galaxy/Chivas anyone?

The selfish side of me wishes that he would have went to the English Premier League instead. But, this is good for Freddy as it will put him with a great team with a great track record. Hopefully this will lead to better things for him (especially when he represents the U.S. men's team).

And as for Real Salt Lake...they are getting more and more unwatchable. I was going to watch the game tonight, but maybe I'll watch the SuperLiga on my computer instead. LA Galaxy/Chivas anyone?

I'll take the replay of the Emirates Cup matches on Setanta Broadband. ^_^

As for Adu going to a Premiership side, that just wouldn't have worked. First off, the English Premiership sides deal with young talent only if they're really good (See: Fabregas, Anderson) or they're uber-hyped Englishmen (See: Theo Walcott, Wayne Rooney). Secondly, who in the Premiership was he going to play for? Manchester United was unimpressed with him, and most of the other high-end clubs would just plop him on the bench. Of the lower end of the spectrum, Fulham has enough Americans, Manchester City has Rolando Bianchi, Wigan is content to be Wigan, Roy Keane is in no mood to take on moody players, Birmingham City is silly, and Derby plan on playing 11 men behind the ball all season.

Frankly, Portugal is a great place for him, though some of the lower-end Bundesliga sides and especially Dutch sides would have worked out well for him.

So like every summer Lyon loses most of its best players, but like every summer we bring up some youngsters and sign some under-rated players, and have a great pre-season. 2 Trophies already for les Gones.

Now the wait begins to see what players the European giants will steal from us. Note to all clubs: Hands Off Juninho!

1zqy8ok.gif

So like every summer Lyon loses most of its best players, but like every summer we bring up some youngsters and sign some under-rated players, and have a great pre-season. 2 Trophies already for les Gones.

Now the wait begins to see what players the European giants will steal from us. Note to all clubs: Hands Off Juninho!

Well, it isn't that hard to win everything in France when no one bothers to score any goals except Pauleta. :P

Benfica and the Portugese league have produced a lot of good young players as of late too. Benfica IIRC play a pretty up-tempo style, which should suit Adu's game. I think he can use this as a two-year stepping stone up to a bigger club. I think this is just as good as a move to the Eredivisie, with just as big a club that is (I'm pretty sure) in the Champion's League next year, to boot.

harperdc.gif

Can you blame him on the latter?

Speaking of you, you may need to sneak on board a plane for Leeds. Your club needs you!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ted/6915926.stm

Leeds Utd face goalkeeping crisis

By Chris Bevan

Leeds United will have to start the season without a goalkeeper unless their transfer embargo is lifted.

Deals have been lined up for Brondby keeper Casper Ankergren and Watford's Scott Loach but they cannot sign while Leeds remain in limbo.

The club is relying on the Football League giving them special dispensation to bolster their squad.

And assistant boss Gus Poyet told BBC Sport: "I hope we can sign someone - if not I am not sure who will play there."

Each member club has a share in the Football League but the League's board has withheld the transfer of Leeds' share to Ken Bates after he struck a deal to buy back the club from administrators KPMG on 11 July.

It means Leeds - who did not pay their players for June - are still unable to add to their threadbare squad ahead of the start of the new season on 11 August.

However, the Football League's transfer embargo rules for clubs in administration are flexible in regard to the number of professionals they have registered.

If that number falls below 20, as in the case of Leeds, then clubs can apply to the League for permission to bring players in.

United manager Dennis Wise has confirmed he hopes to strike a permanent deal for Ankergren, 27, who had a spell on loan at Elland Road last season.

And a loan is expected to be agreed with the Hornets for 19-year-old Loach who, along with former Chelsea trainee Nick Hamman, travelled on Leeds' pre-season tour of Germany, but cannot sign formally yet.

"As everyone knows, one of our problems is that our players have not been paid, although it looks like they are going to be paid very soon," added Poyet.

"The other is that we cannot sign players and that is a problem. We want to add to our squad and we don't have a goalkeeper attached to the club.

"Normally we would have a plan. When you look to sign a keeper you have a first, second and third choice so if you don't get one player you can try for another one.

"But at the moment we are still waiting. We have Scott training with us but he cannot sign yet and everything could change.

"Of course, you want to have your players attached to the club. You need to know he is going to play so you can train with him and the back four together so they can get to know each other.

"Let's hope it can be worked out."

Leeds took a 20-man squad to Germany that included several academy graduates, three other trialists - David Prutton, Leon Constantine and Curtis Weston - and three out-of-contract players seeking a new deal - Alan Thompson, Matt Heath and Rui Marques.

Veteran striker Tore-Andre Flo, 34, is to be offered a new contract despite missing the tour as he recovers from the broken foot that has kept him out since January.

Dennis Wise's side lost all three of their games, against Union Berlin, FC Slovan Liberec and Energie Cottbus.

Jon Douglas and Rob Bayley did travel but will miss Leeds' opening day League One game against Tranmere through suspension.

Poyet admits he and Wise have few options to work with but says they are determined not to let their heads drop.

"We are trying to cope and really pleased with the lads who have been with us - training, travelling and playing - in our circumstances," the Uruguayan explained.

"In a few positions we are missing a few players but we will keep working really hard with the players we have got just in case this situation continues.

"If we can add a few players that would be great but if that does not happen we need to make sure we have a team ready for the beginning of the season."

And Poyet remains hopeful that the turmoil at Elland Road will soon be over.

"The only thing we want is to be free as a club to act as we want as soon as possible," he said.

"Every day I wake up and I think it's going to be the day. I can't wait for that phone call that says we are back to normal and back in business."

Jose Antonio Reyes gets his wish: No more Arsenal.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...rike+Reyes+deal

Atletico strike Reyes deal

By Alex Dunn - Created on 30 Jul 2007

Atletico Madrid have confirmed that they have completed an agreement to sign Jose Antonio Reyes from Arsenal.

The Spanish forward has made no secret of his desire to remain in his homeland, having spent last season on-loan at Real Madrid, but it is with their city rivals that he will pitch up next term.

Reyes has been in discussion with Atletico officials over the past few days and following successful negotiations, an accord has been struck between the two clubs.

The 23-year-old has signed a four-year deal with the capital club, having made it clear he has no desire to return to England, where he endured mixed fortunes since arriving in North London from Sevilla.

It is thought the deal is worth in the region of ?12million (£8.1million), with Reyes to be paraded before the press on Tuesday morning.

Also on his out of Emirates Stadium is young defender Kerrea Gilbert, who has decided to join Southend on a six-month loan deal.

Speaking of Atletico, I'm shocked that no one here mentioned their signing of Simao. They look to be pretty formidable heading into the new season. I'm curious how they'll find a way to lose themselves into the Intertoto Cup this time around.

Soccer-related but not transfer-related: Nantes today made an effective apology to their fans for their first-ever relegation from the French Ligue 1 with a 5-0 home win against Reims in the first match of the Ligue 2 season.

Speaking of Atletico, I'm shocked that no one here mentioned their signing of Simao. They look to be pretty formidable heading into the new season. I'm curious how they'll find a way to lose themselves into the Intertoto Cup this time around.

Soccer-related but not transfer-related: Nantes today made an effective apology to their fans for their first-ever relegation from the French Ligue 1 with a 5-0 home win against Reims in the first match of the Ligue 2 season.

Poor Nantes. I'm really indifferent to their club, but their setup is truely world class. One of the best youth systems in the world. Even their u-8 squads act professional. I was really sad to see them drop (but that's what happens when you have Barthez as your keeper!). Hopefully they return next season, so Lyon can kick their ass :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived