2007 Summer Transfer Window (Soccer)

MrAsterisk

I know this forum doesn't have many soccer fans, but those that do exist seem to have a wide knowledge of the game (I'm lookin' at you, Fred T. Jane, among others of course.), so I've started this little thread to discuss all the players switching teams as the transfer window heats up.

The biggest move this summer for me involves one of my favorite players (Franck Ribery) leaving my favorite club (Olympique de Marseille) for Bavarian powerhouse Bayern Munich. This is yet another move by Bayern this summer to bolster their attack after a disappointing season, and despite the departures of Ali Karimi, Mehmet Scholl, and Hasan Slihamidzic from the attacking midfield, they have made themselves the team to watch for me next season.

32-year-old left winger Ze Roberto returns to the Allianz Arena, partly as a replacement for Juventus-bound Salihamidzic, and productive Italian Luca Toni, Claudio Pizzaro's replacement, joins an already formidable front line including Roy Makaay and Lukas Podolski. Miroslav Klose will make it a foursome in 2008, if not by summer's end, and the young, exciting Bastian Schweinsteiger remains in the center of midfield.

Add to that Mark van Bommel in a slightly more defensive role and the formidable Martin Demichelis in front of the back four, and this is a very strong front two-thirds of the pitch. And speaking of the back four -- it gets better -- Bayern have four outstanding defenders who are all very capable of making productive forward runs in Philip Lahm, Lucio, Daniel van Buyten, and Willy Sagnol. And that's just a rough overview of the top outfield players, not to mention the many promising young German players Bayern have in their ranks. I have to say I can't wait to watch Bayern next season.

In other news: Viduka to Newcastle, Robben to Madrid(?), and more! Let the chit-chat begin!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this forum doesn't have many soccer fans, but those that do exist seem to have a wide knowledge of the game (I'm lookin' at you, Fred T. Jane, among others of course.), so I've started this little thread to discuss all the players switching teams as the transfer window heats up.

What's with me being called out in every other thread these days? Geez! :D

Yes, the silly season really got going this past week, initially because of the Ribery-to-Arsenal rumours, but too bad that fell through. I'm no fan of Bayern, but I wonder how much of this remodeling will work with them. On paper it should work well, but I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to that. At least they can work their kinks out in the UEFA Cup!

For me, Manchester United is getting scarier and scarier, as yes they're spending money, but they're also getting younger and better for that cash. Hargreaves was going to be a lot of money, but getting Anderson and Nani was pretty surprising, at least to me. Looks like Sir Alex took a page from Wenger's notebook.

And speaking of Arsenal, this whole Henry to anywhere-except-perhaps-Grasshoppers FC is getting beyond silly. I know it's standard fare for the summer, but Henry leaving brings all sorts of questions to Arsenal, like...

(1) If they let Henry go, should they get a player in return? (The "Henry for Eto'o and $30 million" option)

(2) ... or should they let him go for a boatload of cash? (The "Henry for a boatload of cash to buy someone, anyone!" option)

(3) ...or should they just keep him and watch his value perhaps slip with age and injury (The "Henry to the Red Bulls in 2009!" option)

I'd personally go for option 3, because option 1 just won't happen, and option 2 has disaster written all over it. After all, if Arsenal can keep Henry, they can always pull off the Reyes and Flamini for Fernando Torres rumour, to give them a pretty potent stable of first-rate strikers (Adebayor, Henry, Torres, and van Persie) for next season... then sell Henry for a boatload of cash to steal Rafael van der Vaart and Miroslav Klose from Germany to make me happy! :D

The other big Arsenal rumour is the impending signing (within the week) of Malouda from Lyon. I really like this move, because it makes Alexander Hleb surplus to requirements as well as giving Arsenal a true winger that's young, unlike Freddie.

And I saw this on Arseblog: It seems that Arsene may pull off another gem, with the possible signing of Angel di Maria from the Argentinan side Rosario Central. He's seems to be an attacking midfielder/forward that's in the mold of Gilberto Silva. He 3 goals in the Clausura (Football Lineups stats on him) It would be interesting if he would be a Tevez-esque player in the end, but we'll see.

*phew* That'll take me a week or so to ingest enough info to make another post like that on this topic!

*edit* Well, not that long, because I forgot to post this site: http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/ Seriously outrageous rumours that in all reality have 0% credibility. Like this gem:

Eto'o and Alves enquiries are just smokescreens from Rafa the Gaffa! Expect a German assualt form Benitez. In will be Miroslav Klose and Phillip Lahm. Same thing with Malouda. Liverpool will bring in Rafael Van Der Vaart who can play anywhere in the midfield. Riise will leave as part of the Lahm deal. Simao is still a legitimate tartget and will be announced shortly. Only other striker coming in will be Tevez or Torres. Team next Season; Reina/ Almunia, Finnan/ Arbeloa, Carragher/ Milito, Agger/ Hyypia, Lahm/ Aurelio, Simao/ Pennant/ Garcia, Gerrard/ Leiva/ Mascherano/ Sissoko/ Alonso, Van Der Vaart/ Kewell, Klose/ Voronin/ Crouch/ Kuyt/ Tevez or Torres. +MB+

Sounds like my FIFA 07 moves for Arsenal: Sell off most of the youth and Henry for Peter Cech, Joe Cole, Vicente (Rodriguez), and David Villa to give a lineup of Cech, Senderos, Eboue, Toure, Vicente, Fabregas, Cole, Rosicky, Walcott, Adebayor, and Villa. If only... ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

You know, I'm not satisfied with Arsenal's back four, Toure/Eboue/Gallas I'm fine with, but Cliche as the left back isn't cutting it, and Senderos, although he plays well for Switzerland, is far too slow for the EPL. Furthermore anyone know the status of Julio Baptista?

As for the Reds of Liverpool FC, I'm disappointed that Fowler is moving on again (not surprised though) and I can understand Dudek not wanting to be a back up keeper.

As for the new guys, I'm not sure Lucas Leiva's worth it when Alonso and super Stevie G are signed through 2012. As for Voronin, Ukrainian strikers named Andriy haven't exactly set the EPL alight.

I am excited about Leto though, as tall pacy wingers are pretty rare in footy.

You know, I'm not satisfied with Arsenal's back four, Toure/Eboue/Gallas I'm fine with, but Cliche as the left back isn't cutting it, and Senderos, although he plays well for Switzerland, is far too slow for the EPL. Furthermore anyone know the status of Julio Baptista?

He is in all likelihood heading back to Real Madrid, and Arsenal will get Jose Antionio Reyes back.

The rumours of Reyes heading to Athletico along with either Flamini or cash...possibly from an Henry transfer, are getting louder and louder, as are the Malouda to Arsenal rumours. Hmm...

More great Rumours...

Too much Nonsense is getting written about who Liverpool are going to sign ? I work in a solicitors that deal with Liverpool's in's and out's, they are as follows: ?

Henry next week will sign for 15 Million ? that is deffo, Simao is Undisc fee, also next week...

:D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's just about official! :(

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...k+of+Barca+move

Henry on brink of Barca move

By Lewis Rutledge - Created on 22 Jun 2007

Barcelona claim they have agreed a £16million fee for Thierry Henry.

Reports in Spain have emerged suggesting the Arsenal striker has signed a four-year deal with Barcelona.

Cadena Ser radio, the station that broke the news of David Beckham and Zinedine Zidane's moves to Real Madrid, have stated that Barcelona will pay ?24million (£16million) for the Arsenal forward.

The station, which quotes Barcelona officials, says Henry has already put pen-to-paper on a contract spanning until 2011.

Spanish newspapers have also reported the story, but a spokesman from Barcelona has told Sky Sports News that the deal is not yet finalised.

The spokesman claims Henry's move is 'not totally done and dusted' and has insisted that discussions are still ongoing between Arsene Wenger and his Barcelona counterparts.

Barcelona have been tracking Henry for over 12 months, despite the Frenchman signing a long-term deal with The Gunners last summer.

The Catalan giants are looking to strengthen this summer after losing out to Real Madrid in the Spanish title race.

And after Arsenal's disappointing season in the Premiership it appears Henry has made the decision to continue his career at Camp Nou.

Speculation about his future has continued to mount in recent weeks, especially since the departure of David Dein.

Like your posts, eh? :P

Thierry Henry costing less than Darren Bent! Love the silly season.

Strong rumours now linking Liverpool with Fernando Torres but who knows really. He's "strongly linked target" #5 these past 3 weeks alone.

liverpool-1.png

Henry going to Barca... All I can say is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Henry's been my favorite player (with Zidane until that headbutting incident) since '98. While I can say that I've only really gotten into soccer (though not as much as other sports I like) specifically Arsenal since the 2006-07 season, I'm sad to see him leave a team I like. The reason I like Arsenal is basically because of Henry, though I do like some of their other players. I'll have to watch some Barca action to see how my man does.

-E.A.R.

Well, for those of you that don't follow soccer, Henry to Barca is equivalent to...hmm

Jeter to the White Sox

Crosby to the Avalanche

Lebron to the Spurs

Tom Brady to the Raiders

What he means to say is add all those trades together, then multiply it by 10, then you get the magnitude if this transfer. :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Well, for those of you that don't follow soccer, Henry to Barca is equivalent to...hmm

Jeter to the White Sox

Crosby to the Avalanche

Lebron to the Spurs

Tom Brady to the Raiders

What he means to say is add all those trades together, then multiply it by 10, then you get the magnitude if this transfer. :P

I don't know... Tom Brady to the Raiders? Doesn't that negate all of the other trades? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I'd love to see what happens to Shevchenko, who apparently wants to go back to Serie A after he couldn't hold his own with Chelsea this season.

Nani to Man U is Portuguese Liga's loss and EPL's gain...you guys will like him alot. Very entertaining player to watch.

Nani to Man U is Portuguese Liga's loss and EPL's gain...you guys will like him alot. Very entertaining player to watch.

Oh yes. Having watched him in Euro qualifiers and the recent U21 championships for Portugal, he is certainly ready to contribute on the Premiership level.

As a fan of Ligue 1, I'm just wondering what is taking Lyon so long to wrap up all their proposed out transfers. The door for Eric Abidal is supposedly shut, but Sylvain Wiltord and 30-million man Florent Malouda were supposed to have been gone by now.

Archived