AA Minor Leagues -- Two for the price of one

officeglenn

OK, so I'm a member of the American Association, a fantasy baseball league here on the boards. This season, the league decided to start up a minor league sim. I wasn't big on the idea at first, but once I started picking cities and nicknames for my affiliates, I thought, why not try and make some logos and uniforms for these teams? If nothing else, it would be good practice.

So anyway, here are the first two:

Fredericton (N.B.) Millers - Short A Northeastern League

fredericton-millers-sheet.gif

Panama City (Fla.) Herons - Advanced A Sunshine State League

panama-city-herons-sheet.gif

Still to come:

? Ottawa (Ont.) Towers - AAA East Coast League

? Columbia (S.C.) Canalmen - AA Deep South League

? Rockville (Md.) Express - A Mid-Atlantic League

? Tupelo (Miss.) Kings - Rookie Gulfside League

Okay, so what do y'all think?

I like the Millers, but it doesnt feel quite right. It may be a little too minimal. I'd like to see a ball or a bat or maybe a Miller (theres a great concept somewhere of a Millers high school, I think)

I think what I said above can be for Panama City as well. Isnt there a similar logo right now somewhere in FL?

I'd adjust the black background on the wordmark. you have it dropping in at the top of the M and between the R and S, but yet completely fillled in around the Ls. Alls i see are 2 huge black squares in the middle of the wordmark and it takes away from the word itself.

I'd adjust the black background on the wordmark. you have it dropping in at the top of the M and between the R and S, but yet completely fillled in around the Ls. Alls i see are 2 huge black squares in the middle of the wordmark and it takes away from the word itself.

Agreed. I also think the F on the Fredericton road jersey is a little too big. Otherwise, very nice work.

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Β Β πŸ™ƒ

Just a friendly bump ...

I see what you guys are saying about the black outline on the Millers' wordmark. I can't remember why I filled that in the first place; maybe to make drawing the mill building in behind the primary logo easier? Either way, yeah, that needs to be fixed.

And no, I'm not from Rockville. If you check under my avatar, it says I'm from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I picked the name 'Express' because the Wikipedia entry on Rockville mentioned a fair bit about trains.

Both are very well rendered. Kudos. Two minorish points. Something feels off about the Millers primary. It's not too minimalist for me, but it just doesn't look right with the stack disappearing into the "M". And on the Herons wordmark, the dual color, almost gradient effect is distracting. I'd pick one blue.

Fredricton Millers - I love the font choice. It has that old-timey feel and I think it works well with a factory style identity. The "Millers" wordmark needs to be tweeked though. One of two things must be done. Either have "Millers on a solid black background or eliminate the fill-in between the L's. I'd go with the second option.

Regarding the primary, I think it's very close to virtual perfection. It seems that you're going for a silhouette of a factory (more or less). The alignment of the building doesn't mesh with the angle of the smokestacks. I think that the building portion of the logo needs to be adjusted.

On the homes, fix the wordmark and you're golden. On the aways, perhaps shrink the F. It seems a bit overpowering. I would also shrink the number on the back just a smidge. I do like the choice of the vest for this team. It's like a pseudo-overalls style.

Panama City Herons - I like the color choice. Two-tones of blue with yellow accents is a superb set for a tropical locale. Given that, the "water" within the wordmarks are iffy. To me it doesn't add much, if anything, to the design. Picking one tone of blue with the the secondary tone as an outline would serve just as well and give some continuity with the back numbers. With the wave-wordmarks the home and away jerseys look fine, but you lose the contrast with the alternate jersey and the hats. The bottom portion of the word/logo blends in with the rest. If you're set with using the waves, outline the hat logo/alternate wordmark (maybe all wordmarks) with yellow to make it standout from the dark blue background.

Overall, both these sets are solid and well rendered. I'm looking forward to the rest of your minor league organization.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Archived