General question to Chris and/or board

Fjm

I had an idea. It would be really cool if there was a repository/directory built where people's concepts could go so that they could be easily accessed. I know there is a search feature, but that sometimes doesn't find exactly what you're looking for, or conversely sometimes it has too many threads.

My thought is that it could start with a directory established for all teams in the major sports. Under each team there could be a few categories: logo, uniforms, other. Then, for instance, someone posts a uniform concept about the Boston Red Sox, and they reference it correctly (somehow) so that it goes in the right place.

Then if someone is browsing 2 years later, and wants to see all concepts for the Boston Red Sox, they can just navigate through the team directory. I would suggest that only the final version be saved, and not the entire thread with all comments and versions, to keep it simple. Maybe this can be administrated to an extent to remove terrible concepts after a certain number of days, but ones with good ratings can stay forever (or until the server runs out of room). Ok, now I'm making it complicated.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this idea and see if anyone liked it. I know it would be useful to me, as sometimes I have concept ideas but I think they might have already been done and I don't want to be redundant. Or sometimes I want to browse concepts for my favorite teams to see what was done in the past.

C&C?

Eh, bad idea.

In a way, I like it. But given some history, putting them all in an easily-found place seems like a bad idea.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I like the idea, but there would need to be a lot of work and some security implemented, for reasons mockba has implied.

I'd like something like this for templates regardless of how good they are or not. searching for them is a pain in the ass.

I dunno about putting all the concepts in one place, but i agree strongly on the idea about doing it for the templates, i agree trying to find templates can sometimes want me to pull my hair out. I know there is a stickied thread, but it is old and is never updated. Either we need to start updating that with new templates or do something so that there is a place where we can find all the new templates for everyone to use.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I dunno about putting all the concepts in one place, but i agree strongly on the idea about doing it for the templates, i agree trying to find templates can sometimes want me to pull my hair out. I know there is a stickied thread, but it is old and is never updated. Either we need to start updating that with new templates or do something so that there is a place where we can find all the new templates for everyone to use.

As I stated above, these are my thoughts exactly. And the search function at the moment isn't working properly for me for some reason and its driving me even more cRaZy.

Echoing the general sentiment, this isn't that great of an idea for a few reasons.

• Even if all the concepts were put into one place a search would still have to be made. Since the main reasoning for implementing this change is the apparent inadequacy of the search feature, the only real change is all the concepts have their own forum. (Which they already do.)
  • The majority of concepts are done on existing teams and the majority of those are Flames concepts (a little hyperbole, but you get the idea). People would still need to wade through many threads to find the one they are looking for
  • You propose a remedy to this problem by having some sort of "concept overlord" that decides if a thread is worth to be saved for posterity. This is overly arbitrary and really not that fair

Ultimately, I think the search feature works adequately enough as you can restrict your search to within the Concept forum. When it comes to message board searching, patience is a virtue.

On the template issue, isn't there a sticky at the top of this forum with all the templates?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

On the template issue, isn't there a sticky at the top of this forum with all the templates?

I'll just quote kewp on this one...

I know there is a stickied thread, but it is old and is never updated.

Which is true. It was last updated on february 6th, but, some templates have come out since then (specifically Edge ones), and there are ones that were never in there in the first place. Also, some links are dead. the only reason I have the Edge template I do is because I jumped on it as soon as it was released.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

It seems to me that the stickied thread works well, it just needs updating. The last request is dated Feb. 22 with the last update Feb 6. There is a little discrepancy, but if you guys want the thread updated, somebody (or bodies) need to get on Zero to update the thing. At the very least if there is a template that you would like you could PM the person who submitted the concept for it.

Ultimately, I think any problems with this issue are minor and can be easily resolved.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

It seems to me that the stickied thread works well, it just needs updating. The last request is dated Feb. 22 with the last update Feb 6. There is a little discrepancy, but if you guys want the thread updated, somebody (or bodies) need to get on Zero to update the thing. At the very least if there is a template that you would like you could PM the person who submitted the concept for it.

Ultimately, I think any problems with this issue are minor and can be easily resolved.

Maybe so, I know I've gotten some PMs asking for templates I use before, I'm just stating that we cant solely rely on that thread, and some people are just too lazy not to.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Archived