Portland City

Krona

With the Seattle MLS news, it looks like Portland missed their opportunity for a club, but i felt inspired to finish an old project anyways, which led me to scrapping it and starting all over, getting two crests in the end. i wanted to pay homage to the Timbers without forcing the name, thus "Timber", very small at the bottom. The round crest started as a secondary, but grew into its own primary. The thin lines around the crest are a subtle reference to rings of a tree and are a nod to the lines in the original Timbers crest. It does resemble something from a 80s camp movie, however. C & C appreciated:

PCFC.jpg

Well Gordie, I don't know if they totally kick your concept's butt, but yes, they are better.

I am not too fond of the font either. However, it does seem very "woodsy" or "timber-like", so it still fits very well. Really torn on which one I like better, but I am leaning towards the one on the right. I like the inclusion of the evergreen.

Very nice job.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Crest on the right is tops. Really great work with the axes, ball, and tree in the crest.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The one on the left, but PTFC instead of PCFC. I get what you're going for, but they use PTFC a lot already.

In either case, the "Timber" looks out of place. Otherwise, I love it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

PCFC.jpg

These are brilliant. I love the font, and I love the incorporation of the "Timber" motto. Ultimately, I think the round version is thematically stronger, but the crest on the left is an exceptionally strong composition. (Though the "Timber" motto isn't as well integrated in the crest.) I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two. But why choose? Use the crest for the jerseys, and the round one for all other purposes. If I did have to choose, I'd go for the round version.

Let's see some kit!

20082614447.png

I say keep them as the Portland Timbers. By U.S. standards, there's a lot of history behind that name and it makes no sense to ditch something that actually is historical for something that just sounds historical.

Great job on both badges though. Just change "PCFC" to "PTFC" and "Timber" to "Timbers" and you've nailed it IMO.

And FWIW, if the Sonics weren't all but gone to Oklahoma by now, I'm sure Portland would've been the more viable city for the Pacific Northwest's club.

Let's see some kit!

As you wish:

pcfc-kits.jpg

im not crazy about the monochromes, but i love yellow kits, and the yellow shorts looked odd with the green shirts. i did try a white collar on the green, with white trim and shorts, maybe i'll post that later

*whistle* Foul!

Ok, maybe it's just me, but when a team has a striping pattern in its crest (in this case, the vertical stripes), it seems like it should go on the shirts. I know that while the Timbers used the stripes/trees logo (superior to the axe logo, but not nearly as good as your concept), which had vertical green/white stripes on part of it... they wore something very similar to Celtic hoops. No!

Hoops != stripes.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant all over you, but that'd be my suggestion. That and not ending the stripes or hoops at the sides.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Columbia Sportswear for the sponsor, with Nike as the manufacturer? Not the greatest combo. We have other companies in Portland that would be better, like Intel.

Duh! i dont know why i didnt catch that. i think it looks great as a sponsor and its a portland-born company, but youre right. theres a conflict. columbia could make uniforms (sportswear companies in europe will do it from time to time), but i'll try it with a new sponsor. hewlett packard has a big plant in corvallis. i was back and forth with the stripe orientation. i'm not crazy about repeating stripes, but i'll try another take on the pattern, this time vertically. thanks for the help guys.

PCFC.jpg

These are brilliant. I love the font, and I love the incorporation of the "Timber" motto. Ultimately, I think the round version is thematically stronger, but the crest on the left is an exceptionally strong composition. (Though the "Timber" motto isn't as well integrated in the crest.) I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two. But why choose? Use the crest for the jerseys, and the round one for all other purposes. If I did have to choose, I'd go for the round version.

Let's see some kit!

I agree the round crest is defintely stronger in terms of the timbers theme. The first thing I saw were the rings on the outside, and these really popped as growth rings like you would find in disk from a fallen tree.

Archived