Colorado Rockies' black vests

GeorgesL

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why should the Rockies have practically the same jerseys when their primary color is (or should be), purple? As I said before, if the pinstripes are purple on the home jerseys, you can't tell on tv. It doesn't matter whether the White Sox had established a national identity with their jerseys yet. The Rockies shouldn't have used the same exact jerseys, especially when they have a much more distinctive primary color which is completely absent from the jerseys. The hats are fine, the home jerseys aren't.

I'm just not following you on this. A lot of people think the Yankees wear black ("on TV" or otherwise), so by your logic the White Sox should not have been allowed to adopt their home jerseys because they are Yankees ripoffs?

I agree that the black vest (with black sleeves) and the sleeveless home jersey bring them much closer to a Sox-like identity, but neither of those were around at the start. And you allow that the pinstripes might be different colors while stating that the two are the "same exact jerseys"? Not to mention the wordmark across the chest rather than on one side.

I agree that the Rockies would be better off playing up the purple, but I don't think I'm understanding you completely.

Actually they have been worn over a purple shirt and it had to be one of the worst looks ever. I'll try and find the pictures.

edit: Maybe not one of the worst looks ever, but worse than black on black for sure...

horrible_rockies_vest.jpg

I still like this better. :)

The home CR vest is the same exact thing as the White Sox home vest. They Sox started wearing it in 99, the Rox in 05. There is no excuse for that, aside from the regular home jerseys. And there are many more differences between the Sox and Yankees and Sox and Rockies. The Yankees have thicker pinstripes than most other teams (or so it appears), they have raglan sleeves, a thick, football-type block font in one color, and no numbers on the front. The Sox and Rox both have normal sleeves, MLB block font in black outlined in silver, and a black hat. If you see the back of a Sox jersey and the back of a Rockies jersey, they are exactly the same (other than maybe the colors of the MLB patch). Can you think of two other teams that use the same exact font in the same colors? If the Rockies looked terrific at home, it would be one thing. They don't, though. As I said before, the silver in the letters of Rockies makes them look much lighter, and practically washes them out against the jersey. This is made much worse by big thick numbers on the front, in solid black with the outline. The Rockies need to redo their home jerseys, so aside from adding more purple, they should make sure that whatever they decided on isn't the same jersey another team uses, only with a different crest sewn on. I am not saying that the Rockies "stole" the Sox' jerseys, they merely chose to wear the exact same thing, despite the fact that they have a color the Sox don't, and it happens to be their primary.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The home CR vest is the same exact thing as the White Sox home vest...

Thanks for the clarification. I see where you are coming from now. I misunderstood the earlier post.

That said... I liked the way the road pinstripes looked last night, but with another loss, could it be the purple jerseys in Colorado? Four straight wins in those and all of some people's issues with the Rockies' look might be solved.

Anyone order and receive a Rockies Black Vest Jersey? For Game 1 of the World Series, the patch was on the right side of the jersey but if you order one online, the patch is on the left side of the jersey. I received mine today and the patch was on the left.

Actual game

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Detail.a...amp;id=77491081

Mine is on opposite side

Wow...that kinda sucks.

Anyone order and receive a Rockies Black Vest Jersey? For Game 1 of the World Series, the patch was on the right side of the jersey but if you order one online, the patch is on the left side of the jersey. I received mine today and the patch was on the left.

Actual game

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Detail.a...amp;id=77491081

Mine is on opposite side

Wow...that kinda sucks.

Before the series started, online sites were advertising the patch on the left side of the jersey. Then game 1 had the patch on the right side and the sites corrected their images to match. I look at it this way that I have the first runs of the World Series jersey.

They really should have tried the purple once. They should have ditched the black for Game 3 and worn the pinstripes, and if the result had been the same, tried purple for Game 4. For a team that admitted being so superstitious about uni choices, it's surprising they went back to the black so fast. Not that it would have ultimately made a difference...

Didn't their original road uniform have purple lettering, that was changed after the first year or two to match the home silver lettering?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Didn't their original road uniform have purple lettering, that was changed after the first year or two to match the home silver lettering?

Yes you are correct, their original home uniforms in '93 had ROCKIES in purple and they weren't pinstripes.

bichette.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

They really should have tried the purple once. They should have ditched the black for Game 3 and worn the pinstripes, and if the result had been the same, tried purple for Game 4. For a team that admitted being so superstitious about uni choices, it's surprising they went back to the black so fast. Not that it would have ultimately made a difference...

Much as I really, really wanted the Rockies to win, I hope at least one silver lining can come out of this for Colorado, and that is backing away from the black and allowing the purple back in. They lost the World Series wearing black, gray, black again, and white. They got pretty much blown away both times wearing black, and played competitive ball both times not wearing black. I think the message from the baseball gods is pretty clear here: Wear your best, play your best. The purple cap is now the only Rockies hat that is undefeated in the World Series. Therefore it should become the team's full-time home and away cap next year. And the black vests should never be seen again. QED.

20082614447.png

Archived