Colorado Rockies' black vests

GeorgesL

I can't help it wondering what is up with the Rockies' fascination with wearing the black vests every post-season game?

I'm sorry, but I can't cheer for a team that wears black jerseys every game during post-season, especially those God-awful black vests. If the Rockies wore the purple jerseys, it'd be a different story.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't help it wondering what is up with the Rockies' fascination with wearing the black vests every post-season game?

I'm sorry, but I can't cheer for a team that wears black jerseys every game during post-season, especially those God-awful black vests. If the Rockies wore the purple jerseys, it'd be a different story.

Tracking the Rockies' uniform luck

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_7147687

By The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 10/11/2007 09:16:03 AM MDT

The Colorado Rockies keep track of the performance of the team in each of their five uniforms. And although it is the starting pitcher who selects the uniform of the day, he does so with the help of his many colleagues in the clubhouse.

Jay Alves, spokesman for the Rockies, said that if the starting pitcher has a lapse of memory that a certain uniform has been successful and should be worn, his teammates and others in the clubhouse will remind him.

"If we are winning with a uniform, we stay with it," Alves said.

Here is a breakdown of the uniforms worn during the 17-of-18 winning streak that took them into the National League Championship series.

The first 12 games, between Sept. 16 and Sept. 28,, they wore pinstripes.

After losing on Sept. 28, they switched to the solid black sleeveless jerseys. They haven't lost any of the six games since ? all wearing the black sleeveless jerseys.

1. Sunday, Sept. 16. (Home)

Score: Rockies 13; Marlins, 0.

Winning pitcher: Morales

Uniform: Home white jersey (pin-striped)

Highlight: Helton hits 300th career homer.

2. Tuesday, Sept. 18. (Home)

Score: Rockies 3; Dodgers 1.

Winning pitcher: Francis.

Uniform: Home white sleeveless (pin-striped)

3. Tuesday, Sept. 18. (Home)

Score: Rockies 9; Dodgers 8.

Winning pitcher: Speier.

Uniform: Home white sleeveless. (pin-striped)

Highlight: Helton smashes a walk-off home.

4. Wednesday, Sept. 19. (Home)

Score: Rockies 6; Dodgers 5.

Winning pitcher: Fuentes.

Uniform: Home white sleeveless. (pin-striped)

Highlight: Hawpe hits a game winning two-run homer.

5. Thursday, Sept. 20. (Home)

Score: Rockies 9; Dodgers 4.

Winning pitcher: Jimenez.

Uniform: White sleeveless. (pin-striped)

Highlight: Holliday three-run homer.

6. Friday, Sept. 21. (Away)

Score: Rockies 2; Padres 1.

Winning pitcher: Herges.

Uniform: Regular road grays (pin-striped)

Highlight: Hawpe hits game-winning home run.

7. Saturday, Sept. 22. (Away)

Score: Rockies 6; Padres 3.

Winning pitcher: Speier.

8. Sunday, Sept. 23. (Away)

Score: Rockies 7; Padres 3.

9. Tuesday, Sept. 25. (Away)

Score: Rockies 9; Dodgers 7.

Winning pitcher: Speier

Uniform: regular road grays (pin-striped)

Highlight: Troy Tulowitzki hammers a two-run homer.

10. Wednesday, Sept. 26. (away)

Score: Rockies 2; Dodgers 0.

Winning pitcher: Fogg

Uniform: regular road grays (pin-striped)

11. Thursday, Sept. 27.

Score: Rockies 10; Dodgers 4.

Winning pitcher: Morales.

Highlight: Helton hits a two-run homer

12. Friday, Sept. 28. (Home)

Score: Rockies 2; Diamondbacks 4.

Losing pitcher: Francis.

Uniform: Home white sleeveless (pin-striped)

THE BIG SWITCH

13. Saturday, Sept. 29. (Home)

Score: Rockies 11; Diamondbacks 1.

Winning pitcher: Redman

Uniform: Black sleeveless (solid black)

14. Sunday, Sept. 30. (Home)

Score: Rockies 4; Diamondbacks 3.

Uniform: Black sleeveless. (solid black)

15. Monday, Oct. 1. (Home)

Score: Rockies 9; Padres 8.

Winning pitcher: Ortiz.

16. Wednesday, Oct. 3. (Away)

Score: Rockies 4, Phillies 2.

17. Thursday, Oct. 4. (Away)

Score: Rockies 10; Phillies 5.

Winning pitcher: Fogg.

18. Saturday, Oct. 6. (Home)

Score: Rockies 2; Phillies 1.

QUESTION: If the D-Backs decide to wear their red uniform tops in game 2 - are the Rockies permitted to wear their black vests?

Personally I think the Rockies standard and primary road uniform - with the COLORADO in purple - in addition to the purple pinstripes on the grey suit - is one of the sharper looking sets in the league.

QUESTION: If the D-Backs decide to wear their red uniform tops in game 2 - are the Rockies permitted to wear their black vests?

Personally I think the Rockies standard and primary road uniform - with the COLORADO in purple - in addition to the purple pinstripes on the grey suit - is one of the sharper looking sets in the league.

Yep.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

They could both wear black, not an issue. I remember an American League games between the Mariners and Brewers and Indians and Brewers where both teams wore navy jerseys. Also happened in the 2001 season (don't think it happened in the ALDS though) when the Mariners wore their "SEATTLE" road alts at Cleveland, who wore their "INDIANS" home alts.

98Falcons.png

It's so interesting the day I find an answer to the question that I asked last week (go back a few pages), that someone asks the question. So to answer the question of what their record is in the black jersey and how long they've been wearing them is... 7-0. Their record during the streak in each uniform during this streak is as follows:

Home white: 1-0

White vest: 4-1

Road grey: 6-0

Blacks: 7-0

Now everyone at home can keep track of the Rockies in their black jerseys! Now that we've all found this information, watch them lose. *lol*

They could both wear black, not an issue. I remember an American League games between the Mariners and Brewers and Indians and Brewers where both teams wore navy jerseys. Also happened in the 2001 season (don't think it happened in the ALDS though) when the Mariners wore their "SEATTLE" road alts at Cleveland, who wore their "INDIANS" home alts.

I think teams are strongly encouraged not to wear jersey colors that are similar (or the same, in this case).

If the D-Backs wore black jersey's in game two, the Rocks would not wear black.

I don't think the D-Backs will though. Webb has been the pitcher who usually wore black at home this year. Webb very likely won't pitch at home in this series. Livan also has a few times too, but he will start on the road.

I don't think the D-Backs will though. Webb has been the pitcher who usually wore black at home this year. Webb very likely won't pitch at home in this series. Livan also has a few times too, but he will start on the road.

D-backs where red on Tuesday and Sunday, black on Saturday. I read an article about that somewhere. They wore their standard grays on last Sat vs. the Cubs though.

I think Arizona only wears the black jersey for Saturday home games, though.

I don't mind the scheduling of unis for specific days, but I like this strategy better -- the White Sox use it as well. Wear it until you lose in it. Hard to complain about a look when all you do is win in it. (If one or more jersey option is bad, well... that's not the players' faults in most cases.)

Had the Cubs done that I wouldn't have minded the blue alts as much, but instead certain pitchers just wore them all the time, so it got old fast.

I don't mind a black jersey.

However, the vests look stupid. They really do.

Amen, especially when the undershirt is the same color as the vest. That's as pointless as it gets.

But I understand why they keep wearing them, and if I were the Rockies, I'd probably do the same thing.

It's so interesting the day I find an answer to the question that I asked last week (go back a few pages), that someone asks the question. So to answer the question of what their record is in the black jersey and how long they've been wearing them is... 7-0. Their record during the streak in each uniform during this streak is as follows:

Home white: 1-0

White vest: 4-1

Road grey: 6-0

Blacks: 7-0

Now everyone at home can keep track of the Rockies in their black jerseys! Now that we've all found this information, watch them lose. *lol*

Looking at those numbers I'd have to say that the jerseys have nothing to do with it. Still, I wouldn't wear the white vest...just to be safe.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't mind a black jersey.

However, the vests look stupid. They really do.

Am I in the minority here when I say I'd welcome some more purple to the Rockies set?

I would also welcome more purple in the Rockies set. Actually this could had been an all-purple NLCS if the D-Backs wouldn't had switched to that non-red color.

Last night was the first time the TBS broadcasts crossed over into Morgan/McCarver territory for me. Before the game, TBS ran a little summary of the Rockies late-season winning streak, with highlights from each of the key victories in the streak. Then around the fourth, Chip Caray talked at some length about how the Rockies have been wearing the black vests for the whole streak, so they're not going to change. Then TBS again showed a selection of the video highlights from the winning streak.

The catch? Most of the highlights of the winning streak showed the Rockies wearing their normal pinstriped home and away jerseys as they won the games that put them in contention. So thanks, Chip, for telling us something we could see with our own eyes wasn't true. Someone notify Fox and ESPN: Chip Caray is ready to join you now.

Anyway, for a team that has four different alternate jerseys -- pinstriped vest, purple shirt, black vest, and black CoolBase vest -- why don't the Rockies have a single solid-color alt with the home "Rockies" script? The white vest has the CR logo; the other three alts all say "Colorado."

I suppose I almost have to root against Colorado now: Though I really like Colorado's regular home and road uniforms, I think their alternates make them one of the two or three ugliest teams in baseball. If they win the NL pennant wearing what may be the second worst uniform top in the big leagues, they'll never change. Team needs more purple, less black, but this playoff run risks cementing super-ugly black space-cadet vests as the signature look of the team. Ugh! Or maybe if the D-Backs can just win tonight, Colorado will go back to wearing their beautiful regular uniforms. (With the purple alternate caps, please!)

20082614447.png

I think teams are strongly encouraged not to wear jersey colors that are similar (or the same, in this case).

If the D-Backs wore black jersey's in game two, the Rocks would not wear black.

Then if im Arizona, ill wear black game 2, to get Colorodo out their blacks since they think theirs are so lucky lately

Archived