Fox / Red Sox Bias?

LuvTheNats

It's not just Fox, and I'm not so sure it's intentional. I think there's an inherent Red Sox bias in all baseball coverage. And I'm not necessarily condemning anyone. It's only natural for a station to want to air the most compelling games, and cover the most compelling storylines. Compelling = ratings. That's why the story will always be about the Red Sox (and the Yanks, and the Cubs, too). I first noticed this in 2005, when the White Sox beat the Red Sox to advance to the ALCS. Chris Berman was falling all over himself in overstating how the Red Sox were eliminated, not that the White Sox were advancing. This year, the Yanks lost in the first round, and the Cubs were swept out of the playoffs and the Curse lives on. It's not about how Arizona dominated the Cubs on every level. It's not about the Indians resurgence. That's just the way it is. I used to get worked up about it, but it's just one of those things.

It's not just Fox, and I'm not so sure it's intentional. I think there's an inherent Red Sox bias in all baseball coverage. And I'm not necessarily condemning anyone. It's only natural for a station to want to air the most compelling games, and cover the most compelling storylines. Compelling = ratings. That's why the story will always be about the Red Sox (and the Yanks, and the Cubs, too). I first noticed this in 2005, when the White Sox beat the Red Sox to advance to the ALCS. Chris Berman was falling all over himself in overstating how the Red Sox were eliminated, not that the White Sox were advancing. This year, the Yanks lost in the first round, and the Cubs were swept out of the playoffs and the Curse lives on. It's not about how Arizona dominated the Cubs on every level. It's not about the Indians resurgence. That's just the way it is. I used to get worked up about it, but it's just one of those things.

Good points, and you could extend talk of "bias" in any medium to financial matters. Media want to attract either the largest or most lucrative audience (not always the same, i.e. demographics, etc.). They often do what's necessary to appeal to their target audience, not because of ideology, but because of money.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived