Brown as a team color

illwauk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why?

Uh...because I don't think those colors look good together.

I'll bet I'm in the majority too.

I liked them with respect to the Texas flag on the helmet and the logo itself. I think had you taken that element away, it would've been awful.

I have a program from a Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks game from the team's first ever home game that included an interview with the guy in charge of designing the identities of all ten teams from that first season. It's a very interesting read, actually... I'll have to scan it for you guys one day.

By the way, PANTONE, I was thinking earlier about the Hershey Bears -- would that be considered brown or dark red?

if they were trying to use the same color of a Hershey BAR then its a dark shade of red. Most people think that the wrapper of the popular chocolate is brown when in actuality its a really really dark shade of red.

Why?

I liked them with respect to the Texas flag on the helmet and the logo itself. I think had you taken that element away, it would've been awful.

I have a program from a Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks game from the team's first ever home game that included an interview with the guy in charge of designing the identities of all ten teams from that first season. It's a very interesting read, actually... I'll have to scan it for you guys one day.

By the way, PANTONE, I was thinking earlier about the Hershey Bears -- would that be considered brown or dark red?

if they were trying to use the same color of a Hershey BAR then its a dark shade of red. Most people think that the wrapper of the popular chocolate is brown when in actuality its a really really dark shade of red.

I had always thought it was more purple or maroon than very dark red.

No, it's brown. Any sufficiently dark shade of red is brown. But the larger philosophical point here is that color is not absolute or objectively true; there is no such thing as "blue" or "red" or "brown" except as humans perceive and define the terms. If everyone in a given culture looks at an object and says it's brown, then it's brown. And I really don't think you have to run an actual experiment to know that if you showed a Hershey bar to 10,000 Americans and asked what color the wrapper is, the number who don't say "brown" will not exceed the double digits. Though here would be an interesting question: Can people with red-green color blindness differentiate a Hershey bar wrapper from an Eagles helmet?

Another interesting philosophical problem I've often had here: From time to time, I'll comment on the actual colors of team uniform elements. Certain other individuals will respond noting that the team's official colors are actually different. But if a team's official shade of blue is, for example, lighter than that worn by the Yankees, but the team's actual uniform fabric is exactly the same color as that worn by the Yankees, then what is the team's "real" color? The one they wear in real life, or the one they pretend to wear in marketing documents? It's almost a tree in a forest kind of thing.

20082614447.png

No, it's brown. Any sufficiently dark shade of red is brown. But the larger philosophical point here is that color is not absolute or objectively true; there is no such thing as "blue" or "red" or "brown" except as humans perceive and define the terms. If everyone in a given culture looks at an object and says it's brown, then it's brown. And I really don't think you have to run an actual experiment to know that if you showed a Hershey bar to 10,000 Americans and asked what color the wrapper is, the number who don't say "brown" will not exceed the double digits. Though here would be an interesting question: Can people with red-green color blindness differentiate a Hershey bar wrapper from an Eagles helmet?

Another interesting philosophical problem I've often had here: From time to time, I'll comment on the actual colors of team uniform elements. Certain other individuals will respond noting that the team's official colors are actually different. But if a team's official shade of blue is, for example, lighter than that worn by the Yankees, but the team's actual uniform fabric is exactly the same color as that worn by the Yankees, then what is the team's "real" color? The one they wear in real life, or the one they pretend to wear in marketing documents? It's almost a tree in a forest kind of thing.

Had some caffeine this morning huh B-wonk? :D

Actually, its NOT brown. It maybe purple, red, reddish-purple, purplish-red, but not brown. Regardless if people can visually identify it....its not brown. Kind of like the visual equivalent to the tree falling in the woods. I have to admit that I always thought it was brown, but after reading that it wasn't I can't look at a Hershey bar without noticing the reddish hue.

Why?

I had always thought it was more purple or maroon than very dark red.

I kind of was implying the maroon color, but should have been more clear. It probably isn't purple but maybe more or a dark violet considering that purple tends to be bluish, while violet tends to be reddish or in this case brownish. If anyone can dig up an official article stating the real color I'd appreciate it so I can officially source my statement. I'm digging as I write this.

Had some caffeine this morning huh B-wonk? :D

Actually, its NOT brown. It maybe purple, red, reddish-purple, purplish-red, but not brown. Regardless if people can visually identify it....its not brown. Kind of like the visual equivalent to the tree falling in the woods. I have to admit that I always thought it was brown, but after reading that it wasn't I can't look at a Hershey bar without noticing the reddish hue.

No, it was lack of caffeine at work. :P And a really slow data processing issue at work preventing me from doing anything more constructive.

But my point is that something that "looks" brown is brown. Which is not to say that the same thing stops being dark red when you call it brown. It can be both. Plenty of shades of darker red, or red with higher contents of other colors, are part of both the red and the brown families. So it's not false to call it red or to call it brown, but it simply is a false statement to call something that any naive observer would call brown "not brown."

Which I only really say to raise a further question related to the opening of this thread. Since "brown" covers such a wide swatch of colors compared to most other color terms, what shades of brown do people think work best for sports uniforms? Rich, reddish browns, deep blackish browns, cooler yellowish browns, dusky bluish browns, or the more common orangish browns?

20082614447.png

Had some caffeine this morning huh B-wonk?

No, it was lack of caffeine at work. :P And a really slow data processing issue at work preventing me from doing anything more constructive.

But my point is that something that "looks" brown is brown. Which is not to say that the same thing stops being dark red when you call it brown. It can be both. Plenty of shades of darker red, or red with higher contents of other colors, are part of both the red and the brown families. So it's not false to call it red or to call it brown, but it simply is a false statement to call something that any naive observer would call brown "not brown."

Which I only really say to raise a further question related to the opening of this thread. Since "brown" covers such a wide swatch of colors compared to most other color terms, what shades of brown do people think work best for sports uniforms? Rich, reddish browns, deep blackish browns, cooler yellowish browns, dusky bluish browns, or the more common orangish browns?

Its kind of like all Cognacs are Brandies but not all Brandies are Cognacs. Anyone up for a glass? ^_^

I think that as far as we on this board are concerned, especially the likes of Pantone who regularly makes it a habit of breaking out the official color charts, I don't find that statement false because we are not naive observers of color.....unless you are. ;)

So to say that something isn't brown on THIS board, when the color is indeed NOT brown would constitute a valid statement would it not?

Y'know this discussion would be a lot more fun with a balloon glass filled with Cognac. Too bad alcohol and work don't mix.

Too bad alcohol and work don't mix.

Who says?

:mojoto:

:puke:

:sleeping:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think that as far as we on this board are concerned, especially the likes of Pantone who regularly makes it a habit of breaking out the official color charts, I don't find that statement false because we are not naive observers of color.....unless you are. ;)

Oh you know me...I look at everything color-wise in RGB, CMYK or formula mix terms. ^_^

This discussion reminds me of the Yellow vs. Athletic Gold battle though...

:blink:

This discussion reminds me of the Yellow vs. Athletic Gold battle though...

Hey, I'm up for it if you are.... :P

If you go there, then I'll have to break out the dreaded "Chargers powder blue jersey" debate....

...or better yet the "B in G" logo debate.

Careful now, I'll do it!!!! B)

I can't find a pic of the Cleveland Brown's 2003(?) Orange alternates... can anybody help?

With that little discression, the Browns really make it work. I like the orange helmets with the brown jerseys, too. White pants is the way to go, but that's the classy look for a team unflinching in their choice of color... and still in need of a consistent logo.

You mean this one...

CLE_3528.gif

That's as far as I've got, but thanks anyway. I was looking for an actual photo or something, but it was 2003 (I think) and a while ago.

Archived