NHL patches, kinda random

Chazberg

I just realized that this year marks the 40th anniversary of the class of '67, and none of the teams (Flyers, Blues, Penguins, Kings; Seals and Stars have since moved) are wearing patches to denote this-the only team wearing a patch, the Penguins, is for the city of Pittsburgh. I just think that's kinda lame, since I like seeing patches when it's an anniversary that deserves one.

"and none of the teams (Flyers, Blues, Penguins, Kings; Seals and Stars have since moved)"

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Seals became extinct and the North Stars moved from Bloomington to Dallas...so saying none of the class of 67 has moved is incorerect

OUT

"and none of the teams (Flyers, Blues, Penguins, Kings; Seals and Stars have since moved)"

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Seals became extinct and the North Stars moved from Bloomington to Dallas...so saying none of the class of 67 has moved is incorerect

It looks to me like he said the "Seals and Stars have since moved" so I don't know what you're getting at. And the Seals did not become "extinct (sic)", they moved to Cleveland before becoming defunct.

It could've been formatted much better, but that wasn't what he was saying. He was saying none of them wear 40th Anniversary patches. Inside the parentheses just named the six teams, and the semicolon separated the Seals and Stars because they have moved on.

What is weird is that THIS year should be the Flyers 40th anniversary and not last year. Yes they came into existance in 1967, but played in the 67/68 season, which should have been this year. Oh well.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Point taken. I apologize. However (sic) after extinct is not necessary since that is the correct way to spell it. I just used the word because I couldn't come up with where the California Seals/Golden Seals/Oakland Seals moved to quickly.

Actually, the Seals still exist, kinda. After leaving Oakland, they became the Cleveland Barons, and existed there for two years. Then things get interesting. After the 77-78 season, the Barons were merged with the North Stars. Cleveland's owners took over the North Stars, and Minnesota took Cleveland's place in the Adams Division. In 1991, with the advent of a new round of expansion, the now-Minnesota owners wanted to move the North Stars to San Jose, where a new arena was being built. Rather than letting this occur, the NHL blocked the move, but awarded the expansion franchise to the owners of the North Stars. The merger was "undone", and both the North Stars and the new San Jose franchise (lets call them the 'Sharks', for argument's sake) were included in the expansion draft. While Cleveland does remain the last of the big four leagues to actually cease operations and disappear, it can be argued that the Seals still exist in a rather convoluted way. It would be much easier to say that the Sharks are an extension of the Seals, but this idea didn't strike anyone until the NFL did it with the Browns.

Hmm, I kind of hope that when the 40th for the Sabres and Canucks rolls around in a couple of years, they are able to use jersey patches.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I'm really surprised that those teams eligible didn't use a 40th Anniversary patch. It's certainly a more significant milestone that some of the teams that have recently had 5th anniversary patches.

I'm even more surprised that not a single one did. You would think that at least one of them would have gone that route, especially since we've seen the logos they had made.

Hmm, I kind of hope that when the 40th for the Sabres and Canucks rolls around in a couple of years, they are able to use jersey patches.

The Sabres had a 30th patch made up, which can be found on ebay from time to time, and never wore it on their jerseys. Too bad too, since it was pretty sharp looking. (Was that a sabre related pun? <_< ) This might have been a case of not asking the league for approval until it was too late.

I also recall a Canucks 25th patch, but not a 30th.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived