Cowboys/Romo jersey problem

Chazberg

I find it odd that we haven't made a side by side comparison between the '9' and '8'. I don't find them to be any more similar than any other '8' and '9' combo in the league. Its a block number font, those two numbers will almost always look similar. Its not like we're comparing a '7' to a '1'. Those two numbers should always be pretty distinct from eachother.

I personally hate when teams use number fonts with serifs on them, similar to the one above. Doesn't work for me, especially on numbers like '9' and '6'.

I like what the 'Boys have now...the thing they need to change has to do with the mismatching blues. And THAT is an argument for ANOTHER thread. :P

Uhh... check out the original post and skyy1's post above, and you'll see the comparisons. There are several fonts (Cowboys, Dolphins, Vikings, as shown in the examples) where the bottom left serif comes up so high that it almost touches the middle bar of the 9, thus making it look like an 8 (I actually first noticed this problem on my daughter's soccer uniforms). With the Saints' font, on the other hand, there is enough space between the bottom left serif and the middle bar that you can actually tell it's a 9.

You misread my post. There are no comparisons between an EIGHT and a NINE.

If someone made the comment that a certain type of apple looked like a certain type of orange, wouldn't you show a pic demonstrating said apple and said orange as opposed to showing a bunch of apples?

Thats all I'm saying.

I still contend that it is pretty common to have an '8' look similar to a '9' in most block letter fonts. It has more to do with the numbers themselves than the fonts...although some fonts do indeed make them look more distinct from one another than other fonts. In this case, I don't see the above mentioned suggestion to look any better than what they have now. To change an entire number font because of a single number, makes no sense to me unless it would look much better. I don't think it would look much better in my opinion...on the contrary it would be a huge downgrade.

You're right -- I did misread your post. Here is an 8 for comparison:

s_aikman.jpg

I understand your point that 8s and 9s look pretty similar in most fonts. The point of this thread, which I agree with, is that certain fonts, such as the Cowboys' in particular, exacerbate the problem and make it even more difficult to distinguish between the two. You say you prefer the existing font (I guess because you find it more aesthetically pleasing); I believe in the Bauhaus theory that form should follow function, so I prefer the fonts in which the numbers are more easily distinguishable from one another.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I find it odd that we haven't made a side by side comparison between the '9' and '8'. I don't find them to be any more similar than any other '8' and '9' combo in the league. Its a block number font, those two numbers will almost always look similar. Its not like we're comparing a '7' to a '1'. Those two numbers should always be pretty distinct from eachother.

I personally hate when teams use number fonts with serifs on them, similar to the one above. Doesn't work for me, especially on numbers like '9' and '6'.

I like what the 'Boys have now...the thing they need to change has to do with the mismatching blues. And THAT is an argument for ANOTHER thread. :P

Uhh... check out the original post and skyy1's post above, and you'll see the comparisons. There are several fonts (Cowboys, Dolphins, Vikings, as shown in the examples) where the bottom left serif comes up so high that it almost touches the middle bar of the 9, thus making it look like an 8 (I actually first noticed this problem on my daughter's soccer uniforms). With the Saints' font, on the other hand, there is enough space between the bottom left serif and the middle bar that you can actually tell it's a 9.

You misread my post. There are no comparisons between an EIGHT and a NINE.

If someone made the comment that a certain type of apple looked like a certain type of orange, wouldn't you show a pic demonstrating said apple and said orange as opposed to showing a bunch of apples?

Thats all I'm saying.

I still contend that it is pretty common to have an '8' look similar to a '9' in most block letter fonts. It has more to do with the numbers themselves than the fonts...although some fonts do indeed make them look more distinct from one another than other fonts. In this case, I don't see the above mentioned suggestion to look any better than what they have now. To change an entire number font because of a single number, makes no sense to me unless it would look much better. I don't think it would look much better in my opinion...on the contrary it would be a huge downgrade.

You're right -- I did misread your post. Here is an 8 for comparison:

s_aikman.jpg

I understand your point that 8s and 9s look pretty similar in most fonts. The point of this thread, which I agree with, is that certain fonts, such as the Cowboys' in particular, exacerbate the problem and make it even more difficult to distinguish between the two. You say you prefer the existing font (I guess because you find it more aesthetically pleasing); I believe in the Bauhaus theory that form should follow function, so I prefer the fonts in which the numbers are more easily distinguishable from one another.

You're right, I do prefer the font because it is aesthetically pleasing, but also because I don't think its very difficult to read. I also feel that form should follow function...BUT...I do lean more towards form. :)

If we put the '9' and '8' side by side you can tell them apart much easier than what people are making it out to be. I think the numbers could be made more ledible on all counts by reducing the font's thickness a bit. I think that is the case with so many number fonts in the league. There is way too much overuse of chunky looking fonts with unnecessary borders and drop shadows. The Dolphins are the worst when it comes to that.

You're right, I do prefer the font because it is aesthetically pleasing, but also because I don't think its very difficult to read. I also feel that form should follow function...BUT...I do lean more towards form. :)

If we put the '9' and '8' side by side you can tell them apart much easier than what people are making it out to be. I think the numbers could be made more ledible on all counts by reducing the font's thickness a bit. I think that is the case with so many number fonts in the league. There is way too much overuse of chunky looking fonts with unnecessary borders and drop shadows. The Dolphins are the worst when it comes to that.

The thickness is what makes the latest Cowboys font unattractive to me. I much prefer this:

DWhiteDal.jpg

to this:

DannyWhiteThickNumber.jpg

I'll grant you that the extreme serifs of the old font can look somewhat clunky, but I think they have a kind of western feel that seems appropriate for the Cowboys:

DDLewis.jpg

On a side note: I know the Cowboys started changing their blue jerseys years ago becasue they thought they were "unlucky", but I think this is a thing of beauty:

MelRenfro1.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Dallas Cowboys' white home jersey has royal blue (PMS 661) solid socks, numbers, lettering, and two stripes on the sleeves outlined in black. The home pants, according to the Dallas Cowboys official media guide, are a unique metallic silver-green color (PMS 8280) that help bring out the blue in the uniform. The navy (PMS 282) away jerseys (nicknamed the "Stars and Stripes" jersey) have white lettering and numbers with navy pinstripes. A white/gray/white stripe are on each sleeve as well as the collared V-neck and Cowboys star logo was placed upon the stripes. A "Cowboys" chest crest was placed directly under the NFL shield. The away pants are a pearlish metallic-silver color (PMS 8240) and like the home pants, enhance the navy in the uniforms. The team's helmets are also a unique silver with a tint of blue known as "Cowboys Blue" and has a blue/white/blue vertical stripe placed upon the center of the crown. The Cowboys are also one of the few, if not the only, team that attach blue Dymo tape with the player's name on the backside of the white portion of the blue/white/blue decal. The team also use a serifed font for the lettered player surnames on the jersey nameplates.

So the Cowboys' colors are:

White

Royal Blue

Navy Blue

Black

Metallic Green

Metallic Blue

Silver

Grey

:wacko:

The thickness is what makes the latest Cowboys font unattractive to me. I much prefer this:

DWhiteDal.jpg

to this:

DannyWhiteThickNumber.jpg

I'll grant you that the extreme serifs of the old font can look somewhat clunky, but I think they have a kind of western feel that seems appropriate for the Cowboys:

DDLewis.jpg

On a side note: I know the Cowboys started changing their blue jerseys years ago becasue they thought they were "unlucky", but I think this is a thing of beauty:

MelRenfro1.jpg

I feel that the serifs make the font look very dated. Yes, they are reminiscent of a 'Western Font' but more of a 60's look than a modern new millenium look for my taste. I forgot how thin the old fonts were. The pics you posted are a perfect example of why the should make the current font thinner. The numbers are so much more legible...and they LOOK good too!

Archived