Cowboys/Romo jersey problem

Chazberg

This has really been bugging me all season-has anyone else noticed how much the "9" on Romo's jersey looks like an "8"? The Cowboys use that extremely thick block font, and the bottom part of the 9 comes up so far it almost touches the top. I even remember seeing a caption in a SI issue earlier this year that referred to "Romo (8)". This is just further reason the 'Boys need to go back to the throwback number font full time, which is so much easier to read. At least nobody's gonna confuse him with Aikman after their last game... :D

Pics for reference:

4a6a66dd8a3bb22b773b25fc0646deba-getty-75558046bb017_philadelphia_.jpg

da0f7654e9c9609480797dcc6f40a3ce-getty-75558046bb014_philadelphia_.jpg

d394cadb894b36340ea7489be1376a3b-getty-75558046bb007_philadelphia_.jpg

This one's the worst:

capt.d472d72f2a374966bb154d0c04bf11bf.eagles_cowboys_football_irv123.jpg

That could be fixed if the Cowboys would switch back to the older style numbering:

DallasCowboys_VintageNumbers_TEX.gif

...and, I've been tweaking an old Cowboys concept of mine to include these "vintage" numbers:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_08_TEX.gif

I'm still working on this...I'll fix the TV numbers soon...

That could be fixed if the Cowboys would switch back to the older style numbering:

...and, I've been tweaking an old Cowboys concept of mine to include these "vintage" numbers:

Those look sweet. I've been working on a concept that's basically the current throwback jersey/socks with the home (metallic green) pants and helmet, I'll post when I'm done.

This has really been bugging me all season-has anyone else noticed how much the "9" on Romo's jersey looks like an "8"? The Cowboys use that extremely thick block font, and the bottom part of the 9 comes up so far it almost touches the top. I even remember seeing a caption in a SI issue earlier this year that referred to "Romo (8)". This is just further reason the 'Boys need to go back to the throwback number font full time, which is so much easier to read. At least nobody's gonna confuse him with Aikman after their last game... :D

2 words...December Collapse.

:evil:

and yes they need to go back to the staubach era numbers which are far more readable than the chunky butt numbers.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Your right, there's a 9 problem in the NFL and the Cowboys are the worst offenders. But they're not the only ones:

topper-jags.jpg

off topic but i had to look at that twice to make sure i wasn't looking at the new orleans saints.

for the fins, killing that drop shadow would go along way of improving readibility of the numbers.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I totally agree. There were times, I was editing Madden Rosters and such, when I looked on google images, and I was sure Romo wore #8, then I was like.... No he can't wear #8 (Troy Aikman), it's retired (or part of the ring of honor).

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I totally agree. There were times, I was editing Madden Rosters and such, when I looked on google images, and I was sure Romo wore #8, then I was like.... No he can't wear #8 (Troy Aikman), it's retired (or part of the ring of honor).

So you mean I'm not the only one who researches to make sure my Madden rosters feature correct fasemasks/visors/wristbands etc?? :D

Your right, there's a 9 problem in the NFL and the Cowboys are the worst offenders. But they're not the only ones:

topper-jags.jpg

beck.jpg

Then you have some that aren't as bad but need improvement:

img10325231.jpg

Then there are nice, legible 9s: :D

0816brees.jpg

I'm seeing 9 on all of them, I don't get the problem here.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Blue facemask, matching colors...I like it.

Please, no pink.

badgirlnz0.jpg

Public enemy #1 in Dallas, right now. :lol:

But yeah, as long as the 9 is legible when he's standing up, then it's all good. I can understand it not being legible when its scrunched up. That only makes sense.

I think this is perfection. One question: Is the light color supposed to be silver or the more distinctive blue-silver? I vote for the blue-silver...

As for fixing the TV numbers: if memory serves correctly, back when they used the uber-serif font the TV numbers were still a regular serif. I know you prefer consistency, though...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I find it odd that we haven't made a side by side comparison between the '9' and '8'. I don't find them to be any more similar than any other '8' and '9' combo in the league. Its a block number font, those two numbers will almost always look similar. Its not like we're comparing a '7' to a '1'. Those two numbers should always be pretty distinct from eachother.

I personally hate when teams use number fonts with serifs on them, similar to the one above. Doesn't work for me, especially on numbers like '9' and '6'.

I like what the 'Boys have now...the thing they need to change has to do with the mismatching blues. And THAT is an argument for ANOTHER thread. :P

I find it odd that we haven't made a side by side comparison between the '9' and '8'. I don't find them to be any more similar than any other '8' and '9' combo in the league. Its a block number font, those two numbers will almost always look similar. Its not like we're comparing a '7' to a '1'. Those two numbers should always be pretty distinct from eachother.

I personally hate when teams use number fonts with serifs on them, similar to the one above. Doesn't work for me, especially on numbers like '9' and '6'.

I like what the 'Boys have now...the thing they need to change has to do with the mismatching blues. And THAT is an argument for ANOTHER thread. :P

Uhh... check out the original post and skyy1's post above, and you'll see the comparisons. There are several fonts (Cowboys, Dolphins, Vikings, as shown in the examples) where the bottom left serif comes up so high that it almost touches the middle bar of the 9, thus making it look like an 8 (I actually first noticed this problem on my daughter's soccer uniforms). With the Saints' font, on the other hand, there is enough space between the bottom left serif and the middle bar that you can actually tell it's a 9.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Uhh... check out the original post and skyy1's post above, and you'll see the comparisons. There are several fonts (Cowboys, Dolphins, Vikings, as shown in the examples) where the bottom left serif comes up so high that it almost touches the middle bar of the 9, thus making it look like an 8 (I actually first noticed this problem on my daughter's soccer uniforms). With the Saints' font, on the other hand, there is enough space between the bottom left serif and the middle bar that you can actually tell it's a 9.

You misread my post. There are no comparisons between an EIGHT and a NINE.

If someone made the comment that a certain type of apple looked like a certain type of orange, wouldn't you show a pic demonstrating said apple and said orange as opposed to showing a bunch of apples?

Thats all I'm saying.

I still contend that it is pretty common to have an '8' look similar to a '9' in most block letter fonts. It has more to do with the numbers themselves than the fonts...although some fonts do indeed make them look more distinct from one another than other fonts. In this case, I don't see the above mentioned suggestion to look any better than what they have now. To change an entire number font because of a single number, makes no sense to me unless it would look much better. I don't think it would look much better in my opinion...on the contrary it would be a huge downgrade.

Archived