Quaterbacks Wearing Numbers Over 19

RebelKnight29

I recall the last year the AFL's Houston Thunderbears actually played in Houston (or the year before) they used a receiver as their QB for a good chunk of the season...Robert Hall IIRC, #89

You are correct, sir! I have no photographic evidence though.

Flutie also wore 22 with the B.C. Lions and 20 in Calgary, but the CFL has different rules about numbers. 40's were linemen until two years ago and 70's are eligible numbers.

I've seen some older CFL photos and, in a couple of them, quarterbacks were wearing outrageously high numbers in the 90's. It may have been the system back then, though.

Not aware of a 'system' in the CFL whatsover. *shrug*

Brian Mitchell (#30) had to take some snaps as an emergency quarterback for the Redskins one year.

I remember that game well! :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I seem to remember Sterling Sharpe taking a couple snaps at QB for the Packers during one game (he played QB in high school).

Am I the only one that just doesn't care for the number system at all? I think it should (at the very least) be simplified. Linemen get 50-79, non-linemen get 1-49 and 80-89. 90-99 is fair game for anyone. It's not like the lack of a number system has hurt any other sport.

Flutie also wore 22 with the B.C. Lions and 20 in Calgary, but the CFL has different rules about numbers. 40's were linemen until two years ago and 70's are eligible numbers.

I've seen some older CFL photos and, in a couple of them, quarterbacks were wearing outrageously high numbers in the 90's. It may have been the system back then, though.

Not aware of a 'system' in the CFL whatsover. *shrug*

Thus the use of the phrase may have been. I didn't say it was. Damn...It may have been a league system. It may have just been one coach. I was just saying what I remembered. I saw some pics.

And if there wasn't a "system," then offensive linemen would be wearing 30's and quarterbacks would be wearing 60's...so there must be something.

Archived