Quaterbacks Wearing Numbers Over 19

RebelKnight29

The posts about Luckman, Baugh and Graham were correct. However, I'm not sure they should be included on the list because they wore those numbers in the era before the standardization of numbers by position (i.e., when RBs Red Grange and Tom Harmon wore 77 and 98, respectively). Graham switched to 14 once the standardization process began.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The posts about Luckman, Baugh and Graham were correct. However, I'm not sure they should be included on the list because they wore those numbers in the era before the standardization of numbers by position (i.e., when RBs Red Grange and Tom Harmon wore 77 and 98, respectively). Graham switched to 14 once the standardization process began.

Correct; the NFL rule has been in place since the 1950s. That is also why Bernie Kosar switched to 19 for the pros while wearing 20 in college, and why Flutie wore 2 in his first stint in the NFL with the Bears and Patriots instead of his college 22. He did wear 22 with the New Jersey Generals in the USFL as they made excpetions to let players wear what they wanted.

Does the NCAA now have a rule about numbers, or can you still wear whatever you want?

Correct; the NFL rule has been in place since the 1950s. That is also why Bernie Kosar switched to 19 for the pros while wearing 20 in college, and why Flutie wore 2 in his first stint in the NFL with the Bears and Patriots instead of his college 22. He did wear 22 with the New Jersey Generals in the USFL as they made excpetions to let players wear what they wanted.

Does the NCAA now have a rule about numbers, or can you still wear whatever you want?

As far as I know, if a college quarterback wanted to wear 99, he could (90s are eligible in high school and college).

Flutie also wore 22 with the B.C. Lions and 20 in Calgary, but the CFL has different rules about numbers. 40's were linemen until two years ago and 70's are eligible numbers.

I've seen some older CFL photos and, in a couple of them, quarterbacks were wearing outrageously high numbers in the 90's. It may have been the system back then, though. Ron Lancaster wore No. 23, did he not?

There was a QB at South Carolina (Tanneyhill??) that I remember wearing 20 one season, then switching to something more conventional, like 18.

There was a QB at South Carolina (Tanneyhill??) that I remember wearing 20 one season, then switching to something more conventional, like 18.

Unless he wore it during his freshman season in '92, then I'm not so sure. I followed Tanneyhill really closely (even wore 18 in high school my SR year) but don't remember him ever wearing a number other than 18, but would love to have that confirmed.

98Falcons.png

I recall the last year the AFL's Houston Thunderbears actually played in Houston (or the year before) they used a receiver as their QB for a good chunk of the season...Robert Hall IIRC, #89

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Tom Matte was an Ohio State QB who wore #41 and played running back for the Baltimore Colts ... until the Colts lost both of their QBs, Johnny Unitas and Gary Cuozzo, and had to press Matte into service as QB. Since QBs called the plays in those days, the Colts made a wristband with the plays on it. Matte got the Colts into the NFL Western Conference playoff, where the Colts lost to the Packers 13-10 in OT, but Matte threw two TD passes in the Colts' 35-3 win over Dallas in that year's Playoff Bowl. (As it happened, the Packers played with a sub QB as well, because Bart Starr hurt his ribs on the first play of the game, and Zeke Bratkowski went the rest of the way for the Packers.)

Mystery5-18-04.jpg

Packers-2.png

Ron Lancaster wore No. 23, did he not?

That he did, for 16 superb seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. (He wore 16 in his first two CFL seasons with Ottawa).

My contribution: Don Moorhead, #27 for the Michigan Wolverines, 1969-1970...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I can't find photographic evidence that he wore it, but I remember Madden 96 for Super Nintendo listing Buccaneers QB Casey Weldon as #22.

There is your 1 AM completely, utterly, seriously useless fact of the week.

He was #11. Same number he wore at Florida State.

72445022.jpg

weldon_casey.jpg

Archived