An Important but Often Overlooked Part of Football

officeglenn

Great article from the New York Times on the small Ohio factory where NFL game balls are manufactured ? still by hand after all these years.

Employees comment on the pride they feel seeing a ball that they may have stitched being used in the Super Bowl, or watching one fly 47 yards in sub-zero temperatures. Pretty neat.

Great article from the New York Times on the small Ohio factory where NFL game balls are manufactured ? still by hand after all these years.

Employees comment on the pride they feel seeing a ball that they may have stitched being used in the Super Bowl, or watching one fly 47 yards in sub-zero temperatures. Pretty neat.

I think I've seen a similar article in the past, but it's still fascinating. I think the USA Today did a story last year, or maybe a couple of years ago about how the Vince Lombardi Trophy is made. That was even better.

I saw, I came, I left.

It is among my goals to have Wilson manufacture a custom-stamped ball for my flag football league. Sadly they require a gross minimum order (144), which would blow our budget all to hell. But I can still dream!

Once you become an elected official, you can attach some superfluous riders to a completely unrelated spending bill that is guaranteed to breeze through your particular lawmaking body. :)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

It is among my goals to have Wilson manufacture a custom-stamped ball for my flag football league. Sadly they require a gross minimum order (144), which would blow our budget all to hell. But I can still dream!

Once you become an elected official, you can attach some superfluous riders to a completely unrelated spending bill that is guaranteed to breeze through your particular lawmaking body. :)

But that'd be an easy way to drum up opposition for re-election...

nav-logo.png

But that'd be an easy way to drum up opposition for re-election...

Not when you remind your constituents that football is AMERICAN, and by criticizing your spending, by coming down hard on those poor children who play the game, who love the game, and who needed those balls because they were poor, underprivileged inner-city youth whose only dream was to be able to play flag FOOTBALL with WILSON MADE BALLS, you'll win in a landslide.

What WILL be used as opposition against your re-election is your love of black hookers. I hear Carolinians don't care for that kinda thing.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

What WILL be used as opposition against your re-election is your love of black hookers. I hear Carolinians don't care for that kinda thing.

Perhaps, but that's part of my social reform program, "Once you go white, everything starts going right." Besides, the money goes toward poor underprivileged African-American women, women who've been left behind by the rest of society. If I do not take the social responsibility for reforming them through an intensely coordinated thrust of economic assistance and health improvement by means of cardiovascular workouts, who will?

nav-logo.png

Perhaps, but that's part of my social reform program, "Once you go white, everything starts going right." Besides, the money goes toward poor underprivileged African-American women, women who've been left behind by the rest of society. If I do not take the social responsibility for reforming them through an intensely coordinated thrust of economic assistance and health improvement by means of cardiovascular workouts, who will?

Their husbands?

we still manufacture stuff here? holy hell. :blink:

I thought they were outsourced years ago. I am absolutely shocked we still make footballs here. Whats the over/under before they jump on the outsourcing bandwagon and have them made in china for lincolns on the washington.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Great article from the New York Times on the small Ohio factory where NFL game balls are manufactured β€” still by hand after all these years.

I thought they were outsourced years ago. I am absolutely shocked we still make footballs here. Whats the over/under before they jump on the outsourcing bandwagon and have them made in china for lincolns on the washington.

My Nike Gridiron ball is made in Thailand. But then, that's nike....

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

That would depend on the quality of their cows.

I saw, I came, I left.

That would depend on the quality of their cows.

of course, if the quality of their cows include Q, Hutch, Henson, the hambricks and larrimore. then yeah there staying put here for a while.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

As the article states, most of the synthetic replica balls are produced overseas, but the leather game balls are still done in the good ol' US of A.

Archived