Hockey rules question

Sport

I'm a big hockey fan, I played for 12 years and all through high school, and I've always had this question that noone has ever answered for me. Why is it that when two teams are tied with like 5 seconds left in a game (or even a period) and they have a faceoff in their attacking zone, why don't they pull their goalie to get another skater? It makes perfect sense, you have an uncovered man and the other team has a very slim chance at winning the puck and putting it the empty net, it's basically a no-lose situation. So I'm asking is there a rule that prevents them from doing this, or am I just the first genius to ever think of that?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Good question.

My guess is because, though the cance is slim, its still possible for the other team to get the puck and score an ice length empty netter. As coach, by doing this, you have a slim chance at looking like a genius, while you have a chance at looking like a complete idiot - they probably dont want to take the risk. Sorta like not going for it on 4th and 1.

oBIgzrL.png

I wondered this too. I think it's a no-lose situation too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the buzzer sounds, isn't the game/period over? It's not like football where a ball in the air as the buzzer sounds is still in play until the play ends. What are the odds of a face off win and a shot down the length of the ice will go in under a few seconds? Maybe they just don't want the crowd of an extra body in case they win the draw and are able to take a shot????

KISSwall09.jpg

I don't know about you guys (well I guess I do after reading your posts), but I have seen this quite a bit. Typically you will only see this with the smartest, most alert coaches though.

Because, at least in the NHL, five seconds is long enough to clear the puck down the ice, and potentially into the net. I saw a team do it with three seconds left, I think it was St. Louis vs Dallas. Dallas won the face-off fired the puck down, missing the net, but it would have had enough time to cross the line before the buzzer.

There's no rule against it, besides common sense.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm a big hockey fan, I played for 12 years and all through high school, and I've always had this question that noone has ever answered for me. Why is it that when two teams are tied with like 5 seconds left in a game (or even a period) and they have a faceoff in their attacking zone, why don't they pull their goalie to get another skater? It makes perfect sense, you have an uncovered man and the other team has a very slim chance at winning the puck and putting it the empty net, it's basically a no-lose situation. So I'm asking is there a rule that prevents them from doing this, or am I just the first genius to ever think of that?

Archived