CREATING LOGOS

ldswoosh33

Uh oh. *braces self for upcoming onslaught of demonstrative answers*

Anyway, I'd say Illustrator and Photoshop are popular, but GIMP and Inkscape are capable and free alternatives.

But like 5 people are going to say, no program makes logos for you. you have to practice and discover different techniques that help you make logos.

I have numerous programs but I favor AI. It was frustrating for me to use at first because the program makes you design what it is that you want created and there is soo many way's to fine tune it. It sat on my computer for almost a year before I got the nerve to not let it ''beat me'' anymore. I've grown so accustom to using it that I don't use any of my other programs cause' it's that versatile.

Anyway, I'd say Illustrator and Photoshop are popular, but GIMP and Inkscape are capable and free alternatives.

But like 5 people are going to say, no program makes logos for you. you have to practice and discover different techniques that help you make logos.

Gingy, I am sure you have heard the phrase "quit while you're ahead" at some point. It would be in good taste to apply it periodically.

Anyhow, ldswoosh33, Adobe Illustrator is the industry standard, but it is cost prohibitive as all hell and, as bigdub81 alluded to, has a quite steep learning curve. I typically use Macromedia Flash. While not the intended use of the program, it certainly has worked well for me (just an amateur/hack designer). Plus, I already owned it, so no additional cost.

You can download demos and stuff, but you only get 30 days, so you'd better clear your calendar (and buy one of those manuals or something)! :)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Gingy, I am sure you have heard the phrase "quit while you're ahead" at some point. It would be in good taste to apply it periodically.

What do you mean? I was just making a satirical reference to other topics I've seen like this where people say things like "there is no logo creation program, you actually have to do work" etc. It wasn't intended at anyone, and I hope it didn't offend anyone.

It was "demonstrative," wasn't it? :P

First off, it should be a vector based program, like Illustrator (or a cost-effective vector program if you can't pony up the cash). Using a raster-based program (like Photoshop or Paint) is only going to give you headaches if you plan to resize your work or print it. Second, Illustrator is the best, but there are others out there that might be cheaper, like CorelDraw.

I prefer Illustrator. Yes, it is expensive and it has the learning curve from hell, but as a person who graduated with a BS degree in Graphic Design, Illustrator is well worth it. Bohob hit the nail on the head - using raster-based stuff is a real pain for this kind of work. If you can't get Illustrator, go with CorelDraw like bohob suggests - it's the best vector program not named illustrator.

You could always go my route as well, InkScape. Free, and very good. The only gripe I think I have is there is limited Text options, like you can't warp it, arc it, etc., and gradients can be a bit hard to use. Other than that, it has worked fine for me. Only thing holding me back from Illustrator though is that I can't use the Pen tool to save my life.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived