What's the best way to change the color of the contrasting stitching on the jersey?

spyboy1

Today's question is;

How do I change the color of the contrasting stitching on this jersey?

0ce4_1.JPG

I just bought it because I liked it and got a reasonable price on it. Only then, after having paid for it, did I discover that the Cubs actually wore this jersey in a throwback game against the White Sox at Comiskey back on June 16, 1997, but without any contrasting stitching, which now bugs the crap out of me! :mad:

CubsSoxtbtc6-16-97.jpg

So, I'm now looking for two things...

First, does anyone have ANY photos showing the font for the numbers used on the back of the Cubs jersey that day?

Second, what's the best way to change the color of the contrasting stitching on the jersey?

Would coloring it with a sharpie work if I bought a navy blue one? I'm not sure I can remove the patch and have the jersey dyed without messing up the patch or fabric of the jersey.

Suggestions anyone?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I agree, it would be really tough to dye that, and with a marker, you can go over it as many times as you want to darken or blend the color. I've used fabric marker on cotton twill for some "fashion T's" for a school I worked on and it's held up really well. Just make sure to iron or use a heat press to set the ink.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Yea, but you would also have to make the cubs logo on the jersey white,a s it looks light blue in that pic, and the other pic from the game is white.

It's white in person.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

It looks like the buttons on the gamer might actually be white or some other light color, not blue. I don't think that's just a reflection.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My Advice:

-When you wear it, tuck it in and wear a belt.

:wacko::blink:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Today's question is;

How do I change the color of the contrasting stitching on this jersey?

0ce4_1.JPG

I just bought it because I liked it and got a reasonable price on it. Only then, after having paid for it, did I discover that the Cubs actually wore this jersey in a throwback game against the White Sox at Comiskey back on June 16, 1997, but without any contrasting stitching, which now bugs the crap out of me! :mad:

CubsSoxtbtc6-16-97.jpg

So, I'm now looking for two things...

First, does anyone have ANY photos showing the font for the numbers used on the back of the Cubs jersey that day?

Second, what's the best way to change the color of the contrasting stitching on the jersey?

Would coloring it with a sharpie work if I bought a navy blue one? I'm not sure I can remove the patch and have the jersey dyed without messing up the patch or fabric of the jersey.

Suggestions anyone?

By "contrasting stitching" do you mean the trim around the facing of the neck, down the sides of the button placket and on the sleeve ends and arm seams? If you do how is that trim applied? Without seeing it close up I would say it's some type of fabric trim. Depending on how it's applied the best way is just have it removed. Unfortunately a seamstress or tailor will have to do it by hand and such a job is labor-intensive and probably not cheap. Whatever you end up doing, DON'T screw around with fabric markers or dye jobs. Guarantee you won't be happy with how either one of those options turn out.

I don't know what you paid for the shirt, but you've got to figure that into the equation. Is paying someone big bucks to reconfigure the shirt worth it for a relatively inexpensive garment? Good Luck!

One option -- depending on your original reasonable price -- is to resell it and pick up the version they sell at Wrigley for $75. It's not authentic either (that jersey is almost cotton, right?), but the material is more jerseylike and there is no white piping.

I was looking for the kind you bought a while back -- they were everywhere at the 2005 Cubs Convention (even customized) -- because I knew they were fairly cheap, and the first game I went to this year, they had the new version I described above made by "Teamwork" (EDIT: fixed company name). I can check that Monday as well as see if I have any pics of that game with numbers showing.

Might be less complicated and/or expensive.

One option -- depending on your original reasonable price -- is to resell it and pick up the version they sell at Wrigley for $75. It's not authentic either (that jersey is almost cotton, right?), but the material is more jerseylike and there is no white piping.

I was looking for the kind you bought a while back -- they were everywhere at the 2005 Cubs Convention (even customized) -- because I knew they were fairly cheap, and the first game I went to this year, they had the new version I described above made by "TeamSports" I believe. I can check that Monday as well as see if I have any pics of that game with numbers showing.

Here's what I've got. It's a Majestic Cooperstown Collection 70% Poly, 30% Cotton. The crest is a felt type and has matching dark blue buttons. While not an authentic, it's not a bad jersey at all. They just tried to fancy it up with the wrong thread color. If not for that I'd be perfectly satisfied with it.

I checked the Cubs, and Wrigelyville Sports, web sites and didn't see anything like the one I have. If you could take a look on Monday and perhaps take a shot of it, that would be great. Perhaps that might be the one to go with.

Also, any photos you might have of that game would really be appreciated.

HansonsSig.jpg

I was looking for the kind you bought a while back -- they were everywhere at the 2005 Cubs Convention (even customized) -- because I knew they were fairly cheap, and the first game I went to this year, they had the new version I described above made by "TeamSports" I believe. I can check that Monday as well as see if I have any pics of that game with numbers showing.

Here's what I've got. It's a Majestic Cooperstown Collection 70% Poly, 30% Cotton. The crest is a felt type and has matching dark blue buttons. While not an authentic, it's not a bad jersey at all. They just tried to fancy it up with the wrong thread color. If not for that I'd be perfectly satisfied with it.

I checked the Cubs, and Wrigelyville Sports, web sites and didn't see anything like the one I have. If you could take a look on Monday and perhaps take a shot of it, that would be great. Perhaps that might be the one to go with.

Also, any photos you might have of that game would really be appreciated.

Here is the photo of the jersey I bought:

2604283040_35a39af8a5.jpg

And I was wrong, the company name is "Teamwork." I have never seen a jersey produced by them in or outside of Wrigley before. As I said above, I was in search of the jersey you have (the only one I knew existed) when I stumbled upon this version at an April game and liked it even better, mostly because, like you, I was looking for as close to the real thing as possible without a M&N price. I have not seen it offered online. The buttons are navy, and despite the photo from the 1997 game above, I'd guess the originals/throwbacks were, too -- or clear, but not white.

As far as any other pics from the 1997 game, no luck yet. I think if I had any (I usually grab 'em as I see them online) I probably stashed them on a computer that died long ago. I'll keep looking.

Teamwork is one of my (and I think Bulldog's to a lesser extent) suppliers. What you see there must be that the store has a license to make those (or was it the

Cubs organization themselves?). Thats a 65% poly/35% cotton jersey. I supplied those for a softball team this season, and yes, they are really comfortable, and for the price they're quite good. Was the logo screened, vinyl or flocked?

And I take back what I said about the fabric marker. Bulldog is right. The stitching would probably not take the dye from the marker well and the area around it would be a mess.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Interesting. The jersey is sold in at least one of three lower-level clubhouse stores at Wrigley Field, all run by the Cubs, I believe. (Of course, they "scalp" tickets, so why not make counterfeit merchandise? I can't recall if it had all of the usual MLB tags, hologram, etc.) The fact they aren't available online, etc. and were made by a company I hadn't heard of made me think there was something shady about it, but it had the look and price I wanted, so I looked past it.

I will have to check on the logo. The only unusual thing seemed to be that the C and the bear were of two different materials -- the C had a rougher texture and the cub was softer, but I'll have to take a closer look. To be honest, I was so shocked it was there I scooped it up quickly and have only worn it once so far -- to the 1948 throwback game.

Teamwork is one of my (and I think Bulldog's to a lesser extent) suppliers. What you see there must be that the store has a license to make those (or was it the

Cubs organization themselves?). Thats a 65% poly/35% cotton jersey. I supplied those for a softball team this season, and yes, they are really comfortable, and for the price they're quite good. Was the logo screened, vinyl or flocked?

And I take back what I said about the fabric marker. Bulldog is right. The stitching would probably not take the dye from the marker well and the area around it would be a mess.

We've used Teamwork for practice gear, basic shooting shirts for basketball and for summer league baseball and softball for over ten years. They're a basic cut-and-sew operation covering all types of men's, women's and children's sizing and selection for all sports. They're based in San Diego. They now have gone into a full line of sublimated uniforms for all sports. They give you really good service and good quality garments at a fair price. I'm sure Teamwork has no way of knowing what the end user of their products do with a garment once said item leaves the Teamwork warehouse. Any "counterfeiting" would have to have been done by the Cubs or their selected printer.

As far as being licensed by any of the major sports leagues they (Teamwork) are not. I assume therefore that the Cubs own the rights to that logo or it probably doesn't fall under the current MLB copywrite laws and is thus considered "Public Domain," to be used by anyone, including the Cubs themselves.

Almost forgot about this... the C part of the logo is applied just like normal lettering and is of the same material.

The cub part is different -- there is a layer of cloth on the inside and the logo has a softer feel on the outside, more like a typical shoulder patch. I can take another pic... not sure if you're still interested in this version.

Almost forgot about this... the C part of the logo is applied just like normal lettering and is of the same material.

The cub part is different -- there is a layer of cloth on the inside and the logo has a softer feel on the outside, more like a typical shoulder patch. I can take another pic... not sure if you're still interested in this version.

Thanks for taking the time to take those shots and post them. I'm going to see how my efforts to tone down the contrasting stitching goes on the one I already paid for first, but I like the looks of that one quite bit.

HansonsSig.jpg

Archived