Fantasy Football Rx

robnshell18

Just figuring since the season was coming and the drafts are coming up, some folks might like some advice about who to keep, who to cut loose, who's a sleeper worth picking, and who's a dud. It's gonna be a long season and I figure this thing'll be about 20+ pages long by the end. As far as I go, I'll start things off by saying I'm in a keeper league and I'm keeping Tom Brady. The problem is, I've also got Wes Welker and Marion Barber. Alright, folks, who should I keep?

Thanks to all, in advance!

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Keep Brady. His numbers are going to continue to be astronomical(at the very least he'll still be around 4000 yards and 35 touchdowns) as long as he's chucking it downfield to Moss.

What's your draft position? Serpentine or cyclical?

Sigs are for sissies.

Assuming you're in a 10-12 team league, I'd say that even if you have to forfeit your first-round pick to keep Brady(as is customary in some leagues) you'd still be getting decent value. The only other quarterback who's a lock to get those kind of numbers is Peyton Manning, and there's no guarantee that he'd be available by the time you get your second-round pick.

Brady and Manning were taken fifth and sixth overall in my league. I picked fourth, but Tomlinson, Addai and Peterson were already gone, so I picked up Randy Moss, who scored more touchdowns than any back still on the board.. I, however, lucked out and got Marshawn Lynch in the second round and Michael Turner in the third.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there are only going to be second-tier runningbacks available to you by the time you pick(such as Jamal Lewis, Earnest Graham or Ronnie Brown), so why not take the best quarterback or wide receiver who could potentially(and probably will) outscore whatever running back you take. I know I'd rather have Randy Moss and Marshawn Lynch than Brian Westbrook and Andre Johnson. But, that's just me.

If you don't have to forfeit your first round pick, keep him anyway. At least you've got one of the top two players at that position. That should allow you to concentrate on the other areas of your team.

Also, don't reach for wide receivers(unless it's Randy Moss in the first or second round), because there are plenty of quality, dependable wideouts to go around. Hell, I picked up Laveranues Coles in the twelvth round and Lee Evans in the thirteenth! Shore up your quarterbacks and runningbacks first, then worry about recievers.

Sigs are for sissies.

There's some good advice, but he's already stated he's keeping Brady. His league gets to keep two players and the final spot is between Wes Welker and Marion Barber. That's what he's asking.

This isn't good rationale, but when it comes down to it, Wes Welker can kick field goals. :P Keep him. (I'm a big Welker fan.)

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

There's some good advice, but he's already stated he's keeping Brady. His league gets to keep two players and the final spot is between Wes Welker and Marion Barber. That's what he's asking.

This isn't good rationale, but when it comes down to it, Wes Welker can kick field goals. :P Keep him. (I'm a big Welker fan.)

No. Keep Barber. RB's get the most consistent week-to-week points.....

Welker was great for me last year. It wouldn't be such a tough decision if a) Brady to Welker wasn't such a goldmine for me and B) if this wasn't a possession league, which this one is. With every catch being one point, WRs seemed to be more of a commodity in this league.

One team in this league managed to draft Randy Moss, T.O., Brian Westbrook, and Clinton Portis. Dude ripped through our league; didn't matter that his QBs were Eli Manning and Jeff Garcia. But the best part is, since you can only keep one keeper from each position, that means he has to drop two of them.

If I understand right, everybody goes in with two keepers and our draft starts in the hypothetical third round. So, depending on who's keeping who, we may be picking from mostly second-tier players to begin with. It's a format I've never worked with before, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Just finished my draft and would like some opinions on my roster.

Ben Roethlisberger

Ryan Grant

Brandon Jacobs

Roy Williams

Wes Welker

TE Kellen Winslow

D/ST Vikings

K Josh Brown

Kevin Smith

Santonio Holmes

Tony Scheffler

Jake Delhomme

Ricky Williams

Reggie Williams

Stephen Gostkowski

For this thread to work, you have to give a little background on your league. Your roster looks Ok if its a 12 team league, but if there are only 8 of you, I wouldn't be too thrilled. Before dropping a roster to evaluate, let us know the number of teams, starters, scoring method etc.

I am in a 10 team league and get to keep 2 keepers. 1st and 2nd rounders from last year are un-keepable. Also, we give up the round we drafted a player if we keep them. I am torn on who to keep. Normal scoring, points for yards and touchdowns, not completions. Starting 2 Rb, 1 Qb, 3 Wr, 1 Te, 1 Team Def, 1 K.

Best Options:

16th Rd - Ryan Grant

15th Rd - Maurice Jones-Drew

9th Rd- Greg Jennings

6th Rd- Andre Johnson

12th Rd - Kellen Winslow

I also have the No. 1 overall, so LT will be available (Adrian Peterson will be kept by another owner, so he's not available)

I'm leaning towards Ryan Grant and Andre Johnson, but didn't know if I am off base.

For this thread to work, you have to give a little background on your league. Your roster looks Ok if its a 12 team league, but if there are only 8 of you, I wouldn't be too thrilled. Before dropping a roster to evaluate, let us know the number of teams, starters, scoring method etc.

12 team league. Its a 7 keeper league to. So with the exception of the Vikings D, the first 7 players listed were keepers. I had the 12 pick in the draft as well.

I am in a 10 team league and get to keep 2 keepers. 1st and 2nd rounders from last year are un-keepable. Also, we give up the round we drafted a player if we keep them. I am torn on who to keep. Normal scoring, points for yards and touchdowns, not completions. Starting 2 Rb, 1 Qb, 3 Wr, 1 Te, 1 Team Def, 1 K.

Best Options:

16th Rd - Ryan Grant

9th Rd- Greg Jennings

6th Rd- Andre Johnson

12th Rd - Kellen Winslow

I also have the No. 1 overall, so LT will be available (Adrian Peterson will be kept by another owner, so he's not available)

I'm leaning towards Ryan Grant and Andre Johnson, but didn't know if I am off base.

I would keep Ryan Grant and Maurice Jones-Drew, and use one of these as trade-bait to bring in a top-tier WR or QB. At worst, you have 3 stout RB's on the team, and that's a good problem to have....

Ben Roethlisberger Yuck. I'm a Bengals fan, and I want him dead.

Ryan Grant A little overrated, in my opinion. Teams are going to be focusing on him this year.

Brandon Jacobs He's a solid back, but nothing spectacular in NYG's committee running scheme.

Roy Williams A solid pick, but Mike Martz is out, so they're not going to be throwing as much.

Wes Welker Love the guy as a player, but I seriously doubt he equals last year's numbers.

TE Kellen Winslow I call 'fluke' on the Browns. He's good, but I'm not sold on Anderson.

D/ST Vikings Great pick. Some great pick-ups and they play in a weak division.

K Josh Brown He's a solid kicker who should get you decent points.

Kevin Smith I really like this pick. His only competition for playing time is himself.

Santonio Holmes Once again: Yuck. Steelers aren't allowed on my teams.

Tony Scheffler Another solid pick. An overachiever who produces.

Jake Delhomme Steve Smith aside, his receiving corps is a definite concern.

Ricky Williams Which one? Colts or Dolphins? Dolphins = good, Colts = bad.

Reggie Williams Don't believe everything you read. I'm not sold on him.

Stephen Gostkowski Excellent choice. I like taking kickers on teams that score big.

Sigs are for sissies.

Oooh, okay. I get it now.

Keep Barber. Welker's not going to produce nearly as much now that they haven't got Donte Stallworth as a downfield decoy.

Sigs are for sissies.

I'd like a little feedback on my roster, if'n you don't mind. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FX(flex position, i.e. back or receiver), 1 K and 1 D. I'm fully aware that I have no backup K, TE or D.

QB Carson Palmer

QB Jeff Garcia

RB Michael Turner

RB Thomas Jones

RB Marshawn Lynch

RB Edgerrin James

WR Randy Moss

WR Leveranues Coles

WR Santana Moss

WR Derrick Mason

WR Lee Evans

WR Joey Galloway

TE Alge Crumpler

K Mason Crosby

D Jacksonville Jaguars

It's a 10-team league with scoring that goes like this:

OFFENSE

6 points for any touchdown

1 point for every 20 passing yards

5 point bonus for every 300-yard game passing

1 point for every 10 rushing and/or receiving yards

5 point bonus for every 100-yard game rushing and/or receiving

1 point per PAT

3 points per field goal

2 point bonus for every field goal 50-yards or longer

0 points per reception

-2 points per interception thrown

-2 points per fumble

-1 point per field goal missed

DEFENSE

10 point bonus for a shutout

10 points per safety

6 points for defensive or return touchdown

5 point bonus for holding opponents to less than 10 points

3 point bonus for holding opponents to less than 17 points

2 points per sack

3 points per interception

3 points per blocked kick or punt

-1 point for every 100 yards allowed

-10 points for allowing 30 points or more

Sigs are for sissies.

Best Options:

16th Rd - Ryan Grant

9th Rd- Greg Jennings

6th Rd- Andre Johnson

12th Rd - Kellen Winslow

I like Andre Johnson, but instead of Ryan Grant, I'd take MJD. I'm not a fan of taking any Packers this season, due to how much of a wild card that offense is without Favre.

I'd like a little feedback on my roster, if'n you don't mind. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FX(flex position, i.e. back or receiver), 1 K and 1 D. I'm fully aware that I have no backup K, TE or D.

QB Carson Palmer

QB Jeff Garcia

RB Michael Turner

RB Thomas Jones

RB Marshawn Lynch

RB Edgerrin James

WR Randy Moss

WR Leveranues Coles

WR Santana Moss

WR Derrick Mason

WR Lee Evans

WR Joey Galloway

TE Alge Crumpler

K Mason Crosby

D Jacksonville Jaguars

I like your backfield; those RBs aren't sexy, but they're fairly consistent. Good looking reciever corps, but I'm not a fan of Lee Evans; the guy screwed me pretty good last year. Crumpler did too, but he might work out pretty good in a new offense. I like your D, but work the waiver wire hard if it doesn't work out.

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

QB Carson Palmer

QB Jeff Garcia

RB Michael Turner

RB Thomas Jones

RB Marshawn Lynch

RB Edgerrin James

WR Randy Moss

WR Leveranues Coles

WR Santana Moss

WR Derrick Mason

WR Lee Evans

WR Joey Galloway

TE Alge Crumpler

K Mason Crosby

D Jacksonville Jaguars

It's a 10-team league with scoring that goes like this:

OFFENSE

6 points for any touchdown

1 point for every 20 passing yards

5 point bonus for every 300-yard game passing

1 point for every 10 rushing and/or receiving yards

5 point bonus for every 100-yard game rushing and/or receiving

1 point per PAT

3 points per field goal

2 point bonus for every field goal 50-yards or longer

0 points per reception

-2 points per interception thrown

-2 points per fumble

-1 point per field goal missed

DEFENSE

10 point bonus for a shutout

10 points per safety

6 points for defensive or return touchdown

5 point bonus for holding opponents to less than 10 points

3 point bonus for holding opponents to less than 17 points

2 points per sack

3 points per interception

3 points per blocked kick or punt

-1 point for every 100 yards allowed

-10 points for allowing 30 points or more

I do not like Lee Evans, because of his small size, and most of the touchdowns will go Hardy's way. I like Coles because he could have a better year now that Favre is in New York.

I got a fantasy college football team on cbssports.com. It autodrafted, but I think I got a great team.

QB-Pat White-WVU

QB-Matt Stafford-Georgia

RB-Jonathan Dwyer-Georgia Tech

RB-Mike Ford-USF

RB-Ryan McCants-Oregon State

WR-Micheal Crabtree-TTech

WR-Dominick Goodman-Cincy

WR-Tiquan Underwood-Rutgers

WR-Jaison Williams-Oregon

TE-Chase Coffman-Missouri

TE-DJ Williams-Arkansas

DST-LSU

DST-Florida State

I easily got the best WR, TE, and DST in the NCAA. Plus two top 5 QB's.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

QB Carson Palmer

QB Jeff Garcia

RB Michael Turner

RB Thomas Jones

RB Marshawn Lynch

RB Edgerrin James

WR Randy Moss

WR Leveranues Coles

WR Santana Moss

WR Derrick Mason

WR Lee Evans

WR Joey Galloway

TE Alge Crumpler

K Mason Crosby

D Jacksonville Jaguars

I like your backfield; those RBs aren't sexy, but they're fairly consistent. Good looking reciever corps, but I'm not a fan of Lee Evans; the guy screwed me pretty good last year. Crumpler did too, but he might work out pretty good in a new offense. I like your D, but work the waiver wire hard if it doesn't work out.

I love that backfield...they are generally going to be workhorses (except for Turner having to split with Norwood) getting the bulk of the carries, and most importantly, those goal line carries. Your WR corps looks to be feast or famine because of age and injury concerns, but if they all stay healthy, they are all their teams #1 option (or 1a) so you're going to get some huge numbers. I worry about Crumpler, both with his injury risk and the fact that Vince Young doesn't throw touchdowns (only 9 last season in 14.5 games) too, but there are getting to be more and more top level tight ends so you might be able to find another one should Crumpler go down or VY play like he did last year. The Jags D should still be stout, but I was able to pick up a top 10 defense pretty much every week down the stretch, depending upon the match ups. Good luck!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I got a fantasy college football team on cbssports.com. It autodrafted, but I think I got a great team.

QB-Pat White-WVU

QB-Matt Stafford-Georgia

RB-Jonathan Dwyer-Georgia Tech

RB-Mike Ford-USF

RB-Ryan McCants-Oregon State

WR-Micheal Crabtree-TTech

WR-Dominick Goodman-Cincy

WR-Tiquan Underwood-Rutgers

WR-Jaison Williams-Oregon

TE-Chase Coffman-Missouri

TE-DJ Williams-Arkansas

DST-LSU

DST-Florida State

I easily got the best WR, TE, and DST in the NCAA. Plus two top 5 QB's.

Stafford's a solid QB, but stat-wise, he's not top-5 in fantasy QB's.

Be a little leery about Dwyer. I'm expecting a lot of fumbles in Tech's first season with the triple-option....

Archived