My one (and only) trip to Yankee Stadium

rainmaker17

I'm leaving tomorrow to attend the Thursday game between Boston and New York. Coincidentally it will be the last time the Yanks and Sox will face one another at Yankee Stadium (playoffs pending). Needless to say I'm excited.

What I'd like to know is what should I seek out before, during and after the game? I'm fairly familiar with New York and Manhattan specifically, so the advice I'm seeking is mainly game/stadium related. Your recommendations? Thanks in advance.

newsig.jpg

Monument Park closes when the game starts. Get to the park early enough to see it. Definitely a "must-see".

It actually closes about 45 minutes before the game starts because each team's starting pitchers need to get their warmups done and Monument Par is between the 2 bullpens.

That is the must see. As well is go around the lower bowl and each entrance way to the concourse there is a team picture of each Yankee World Championship teams.

As far as Yankee Stadium those are the 2 main things I recommend doing. Those are pretty much the only thing to do around the stadium. There are some bars across from the bleachers (Stan's is the most popular) but that is it. I would take the train to the game and before and afterward go into Manhattan where there are more things to see and do.

Like I said there isn't much around to do around the Stadium, it's in neighborhood not a downtown type setting. The stadiums location is kind of a big middle finger to old NY Giants who kicked them out of the Polo Grounds in the 20's. They built Yankee Stadium right across the Harlem River within eye sight of the Polo Grounds. If you look at old pictures you can see Yankee Stadium towers over what was then the Polo Grounds.

Yankee-Stadium-and-Polo-Grounds-New-York-City-Photograph-C12876703.jpeg

Of course the area around Yankee Stadium has been built up since then and the Polo Grounds was turned into housing buildings.

I hear you can't bring bags into the stadium. This will pose a problem for me and my friends as we're flying back home Sunday night, and we'll each have a bag as we will be going straight from the stadium to the airport. Does the stadium check bags for you? We're not gonna have anything valuable in the bags, just dirty clothes and such.

1zqy8ok.gif

I hear you can't bring bags into the stadium. This will pose a problem for me and my friends as we're flying back home Sunday night, and we'll each have a bag as we will be going straight from the stadium to the airport. Does the stadium check bags for you? We're not gonna have anything valuable in the bags, just dirty clothes and such.

From the Yankee Stadium Security Policy:

"No backpacks, briefcases, attaché cases, coolers, glass or plastic bottles, cans, large purses, bags or video cameras will be permitted into the ballpark. You must leave these items in your vehicle before entering the ballpark." "No items will be claim checked. You will be asked to return them to your vehicle."

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Some of the souvenir stores across River Ave. have bag checks.

The bars really only make sense if you're sitting in the bleachers (which don't serve alcohol) since they charge about the same as the stadium. Other than gawking at the new stadium and stopping by Monument Park, there isn't much else to do.

Archived