Leafs On Ice Sponsor Ads

wesdog82

I was watching the Leafs/Blue Jackets preseason game tonight and noticed that the sponsor logos on the lower side of the screen looked a bit weird. It looks as though they have been painted to look like they are standing straight up while the camera shows them face on. The logos on the top side of the ice were painted as per the traditional method.

I can't find any photos of this but have found a Youtube video that a fan posted from last nights game.

If you pause it at the 0:30 second mark you can see how thin the Home Depot logo looks from this angle and how the Ford logo is a little bit more round compared the the Ford logo on the other side of the ice.

I have seen this method in Rugby across the pond but not in the NHL.

I was watching the Leafs/Blue Jackets preseason game tonight and noticed that the sponsor logos on the lower side of the screen looked a bit weird. It looks as though they have been painted to look like they are standing straight up while the camera shows them face on. The logos on the top side of the ice were painted as per the traditional method.

I can't find any photos of this but have found a Youtube video that a fan posted from last nights game.

If you pause it at the 0:30 second mark you can see how thin the Home Depot logo looks from this angle and how the Ford logo is a little bit more round compared the the Ford logo on the other side of the ice.

Yeah, I've noticed those kinds of ads on rugby, soccer and aussie rules fields, but never on a hockey rink or basketball court. Good find. I know it looks weird at the venue. :wacko:

I saw, I came, I left.

Yeah, I've noticed those kinds of ads on rugby, soccer and aussie rules fields, but never on a hockey rink or basketball court. Good find. I know it looks weird at the venue. :wacko:

you can se the rbs logo from the other side of the pitch here.

Rugby_pitch_at_Croke_Park.jpg

this isnt quite from where the tv camera would view it from, so its a little squashed vertically, but you get the idea.

hmg-paint-away.jpg

theyve been doing it for years in rugby now. 'trompe l'oeil' would be the term for this sort of thing i guess?

Pano shot I took at the Leafs game last Saturday, note the squished Home Depot and Ford ads on the bottom, and the regular ads on the top.

2926398786_5d58cae9b1_b.jpg

I like the full circle centre ice logo. Is this the first time they haven't had two on either side of the red line?

Pano shot I took at the Leafs game last Saturday, note the squished Home Depot and Ford ads on the bottom, and the regular ads on the top.

2926398786_5d58cae9b1_b.jpg

I like the full circle centre ice logo. Is this the first time they haven't had two on either side of the red line?

The Leafs used to have a smaller leaf in a red circle right in the middle...I think it used to face sideways if you were looking at the camera.

The Leafs used to have a smaller leaf in a red circle right in the middle...I think it used to face sideways if you were looking at the camera.

Ah yes, I remember that.

Back on topic, unless The Joe, the Pepsi Center, and GM Place had these ads in place for tonight's games, I think this treatment is pointless. I could see the ads perfectly from the broadcast angle and all others.

Archived