New WGN Scoreboards

scarsofthumper

Regardless, WGN's scoreboard was positioned too low. It cut off the top quarter of the screen, and and many points, it was clear that the cameramen were not adjusting to accommodate the graphics. Bump that thing up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ugh that game was painful last evening...anyways, I think that the score bug is just too big. It seems like its foot print takes too much out of the screen. I don't get why it needs that yellow bar at the top and why it is placed so low.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

Ugh that game was painful last evening...anyways, I think that the score bug is just too big. It seems like its foot print takes too much out of the screen. I don't get why it needs that yellow bar at the top and why it is placed so low.

Yeah that's the only thing I didn't get. I like these better than the CSN scoreboards they're using now though.

It seems since the preseason our theme is 4, since we seem to either win or lose games with 4 goals scored/given up

2IA3b.png

Yeah that's the only thing I didn't get. I like these better than the CSN scoreboards they're using now though.

It seems since the preseason our theme is 4, since we seem to either win or lose games with 4 goals scored/given up

True that and even with the scoring talent this team has, I don't see them winning too many high scoring games.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

Too much wasted space. You don't need the logos, you don't need all that space in the abbrevation slots. The orange line at the top serves no functional purpose. All the necessary information can be signifcantly condensed here.

Even though channel 9's graphics are primarily blue with some black, orange, and yellow, it would be cool if they made the scorebugs reflect each team's colors a little better. Blue and red for the Cubs, red and black for the Bulls and Hawks, and since black and silver isn't a viable combo for this, maybe forest green for the White Sox?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

condensedsoup.jpg

Quick and very very dirty mock-up. This is all they really need, isn't it?

Come to think of it, this breaks the WGN tradition of putting the local team's nickname in the abbrev.: CUBS, SOX, BULLS, rather than CHI. Not that it matters TOO much, but it helps reaffirm the local broadcast aspect. Another gripe, which could just be working the kinks out: while the running game clock is nice and easy to read, the time of goal/time of penalty is presented in an LED style (or is it vane display? I have to check that Display Field Guide webpage), like your clock radio without the slight 15-degree skew. Not only does it not match, it's also very very small, almost an afterthought, which doesn't make sense to me.

admiral i really like your mockup. and you're right about them having CHI instead of having like HAWKS or something like that, especially considering that games aren't even aired on WGN America.

I noticed too with Comcast SportsNet's new graphics, they're also using CHI for the abbreviation. Then again, does any team use their home team name in the abbreviation in the NHL?

2IA3b.png

• 2 weeks later...
admiral i really like your mockup. and you're right about them having CHI instead of having like HAWKS or something like that, especially considering that games aren't even aired on WGN America.

I noticed too with Comcast SportsNet's new graphics, they're also using CHI for the abbreviation. Then again, does any team use their home team name in the abbreviation in the NHL?

2nd game is tonight, and they do have "HAWKS" on the scoreboard.

2nd game is tonight, and they do have "HAWKS" on the scoreboard.

It looks better with the text saying Hawks but the logos still look terrible cuz of graphical quality and I still think Detroit sucks. What a crappy start to this game.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

WGN really slacks when it comes to putting team logos up. Like when the Cubs are playing the Dodgers, they'll use a crappy artifacted white "LA" logo on a light grey background. Are they stupid? It shouldn't be that hard to have a nice presentation.

I guess you posted before Steeger scored?

condensedsoup.jpg

Quick and very very dirty mock-up. This is all they really need, isn't it?

Come to think of it, this breaks the WGN tradition of putting the local team's nickname in the abbrev.: CUBS, SOX, BULLS, rather than CHI. Not that it matters TOO much, but it helps reaffirm the local broadcast aspect. Another gripe, which could just be working the kinks out: while the running game clock is nice and easy to read, the time of goal/time of penalty is presented in an LED style (or is it vane display? I have to check that Display Field Guide webpage), like your clock radio without the slight 15-degree skew. Not only does it not match, it's also very very small, almost an afterthought, which doesn't make sense to me.

And oddly enough, that's what the Wolves have been doing on their penaity and scoring summary displays ever since they landed the Comcast contract. This is the rare example of the greater borrowing from the lesser.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived