Personal logo

chestnutz

So I've been doing this whole design thing on my own for about a year now, and figured the time has come to finally self-brand myself. I'm not doing this for a job or anything, but I guess I just needed something for myself and to use as a watermark, etc.

My nickname is chestnutz, so for a name I went with nuts! creative. The exclamation point really gives off a vibe of my personality, as I'm a crazy, fun-loving teen.

I created a basis of this logo in my graphics design class at school last year, but it was more detailed and the colors were yellow, silver, and pink (colors of a pencil).

It's an acorn nut that can also be seen as a pencil.

So uh, yeah, any critiques are welcome, and I'm not really sure what to do at all for text. These are just color variations and direction variations.

nuts-design-1.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An exclamation point isn't needed as size, capitalization, and weight can easily convey the same meaning. And it comes off as a little desperate for attention.

Like that poster on Flight of the Conchords that has a picture of some rocky New Zealand landscpae and says, "New Zealand... Rocks!!!"

Here's what I came up with in 25 minutes. It was easier for me to show you what I was thinking, then to try and explain it to you. :lol: Basically what I was thinking is the use of negative space to create the acorn. You could also use it in the wordmark. I just did this to show you how you take a good design idea and make it more interesting using negative space and shape.

acorndesign.jpg

What about taking the top right logo (maroon background) and continue rotating the acorn so that it is laying on its side. Then move it so it hangs over the circle, thus keeping the acorn as well as creating a C with the circle. Just a thought.

Quick Sketch:

nut.jpg

UPDATE: Just read that you called it NUTS!, which means the C idea doesn't work as well. I was thinking Chestnutz.

this just feels "cute" to me. i'm not a fan of "cute". seems like you're trying too hard to be clever. I've been down that road, and ultimately you end up changing your design a million times. Stick to your name ? it really is the most unique you could be. That doesn't mean you have to abandon the chestnut idea as a symbol, but i would simplify it down. Keep layout, rhythm, balance, and color in mind. Make sure your typography is top notch - it can make or break your design.

OD_Signature.jpg

thanks for the comments. Personally I really like the mark, but I alsolike the c variation. Gordoe is right, I'm better off keeping the chestnutz moniker. Type is something I really don't know what to do with here, so yeah, please help in that aspect

spacer.png

spend some time at myfonts.com, at hoefler & frere-jones, linotype, house industries, veer, emigre, and process type foundry's websites. They can be invaluable resources. I would suggest you learn the anatomy of type to better understand the qualities of a character - it'll help you identify fonts because you'll know what features to look for and which features to recognize. Then you'll be better informed to make an educated type decision.

OD_Signature.jpg

spend some time at myfonts.com, at hoefler & frere-jones, linotype, house industries, veer, emigre, and process type foundry's websites. They can be invaluable resources. I would suggest you learn the anatomy of type to better understand the qualities of a character - it'll help you identify fonts because you'll know what features to look for and which features to recognize. Then you'll be better informed to make an educated type decision.

So true, it was one of the things I was told while in school. The difference between designers and those who know photoshop, is the knowledge of how to use type as a design element.

Oh definitely I'm not doubting that at all. Still, I'm a junior in HS, and I figured college is where you learn a lot about fonts. If it's that important I don't think I could teach myself it (the basics, that is), but if you have any advice of websites that are great that would be awesome.

Until then though, font suggestions are still welcome since I'm not at the stage now, and this personal logo is temporary at best.

spacer.png

Turn the chestnut icon into the nib of a pen, add a piece of paper under it and take the whole thing out of the circle container. Just an idea, but I think it would work.

You don't learn about fonts in college, you learn about type. Type and fonts are not one and the same. In my opinion, fonts are what you get from :censored: sites like 1001 free fonts and crap like that. Typefaces are what you want. Real, clean, well designed typefaces.

Turn the chestnut icon into the nib of a pen, add a piece of paper under it and take the whole thing out of the circle container. Just an idea, but I think it would work.

You don't learn about fonts in college, you learn about type. Type and fonts are not one and the same. In my opinion, fonts are what you get from :censored: sites like 1001 free fonts and crap like that. Typefaces are what you want. Real, clean, well designed typefaces.

And to follow up Joel. You just don't want a font, you want the whole family of fonts.

Archived