Old School Whalers

BigDemonNyc

I was at a barbecue last week and saw this pennant hanging on the wall in the computer room of the guy hosting us. He's an old school Whalers fan from when they played in the WHA. I liked the logo-- Pucky, right? Anyhow, figured I'd share it here since some of you would appreciate it.

whale.jpg

Here's a closer look:

whale2.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pics; it was my phone.

I love Pucky. Wasn't he a shoulder logo for many seasons?

He was for the most part of the 1980's. Just without the "ERS" part at the end.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

whalers :blink: ,never heard of em..............now carolina,thats one fine hockey team :rolleyes: ,you know its snows so much here in NC,the canes don't even need an arena,pond hockey all day ^_^

Well, we seem to have some hardware in the cabinet here in Raleigh, that they don't have in the HCC.

One could argue that there was more money available to bolster the team due to the new arena with luxury boxes, sold naming rights, etc.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Hurricanes were operated pretty terribly, though, and it's not like they fell ass-backwards into a mountain of cash by moving to North Carolina. Remember the 2,000-a-night Greensboro era?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

...which was while the new arena was under construction, no?

I'm not saying I'm certain there's a causal effect; but you're not really disproving that, either.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. I think they've been a pretty inept franchise under Karmanos, even going back to the beloved Hartford days, and they lucked into two Cup runs with white-hot goaltending. They were bad in Hartford, they were bad in Greensboro, they were bad in Raleigh. They were also kind of good in Raleigh, but it's not like the Nordiques moving to Denver, where a variety of business moves and player transactions combined with the relocation to make them a league powerhouse. The move didn't make them a perennial contender, and it didn't stop them from being one, either. The same can be said for the Jets-Coyotes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh man... that one is very very cool... and I love the green Whale Pucky... I wonder if that one can be vectored for a logo? that could provide some nice posting...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

My roommate in college was from Hartford and was a HUGE Whalers fan. We had Whalers stuff all over the room. I remember that when the team relocated I went out and bought all these Hurricanes items and re-decorated the room for him (actually relocated - because he wouldn't admit it was going to happen until the team actually played game 1 in Greensboro).

I mean, I was just giving him a hard time and it was pretty funny for all of us, but now, 11 years later, I still feel bad and he still feels like "the joke's over, give us our team back."

Edit - I did want to add that thankfully I still have his old season ticket holders jersey from 1997.

Archived