Espn Hockey Knowledge

Notch Novelty

Few people on this board claim that ESPN has no hockey knowledge. Which is very crazy to think that. TSN and CBC probably have the best hockey coverage but knowledge that is just someone's basis opinion.

ESPN owns TSN, uses the name "SportsCentre" I dont care how much they own but they own them. ESPN has former NHL players and diehard hockey fans like Steve Buccigross who runs NHL 2 Night with a lot of knowledge on the game.

How can you say former NHL players and coaches have no knowledge? That is just crazy and basis opinion.

Yes, I'll agree ESPN/ABC has little coverage on the sport of hockey but let's face it, NHL is 4th major sport and that could go down with long lockout.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN owns 15% of TSN.... CTV is the owner of TSN.

The fact that espn owns a small part of TSN has NOTHING to do with their similarity in hockey coverage.

I timed a Sportscentre one night, and at the 19 minute mark they mentioned something other than hockey for the first time... after 3 minutes of basketball, they went back to hockey.

The opinions of the ESPN commentators are sub-standard, and 9 times out of 10 completely off, their coverage is pathetic, their play-by-play team is horrendous.

When a guy like Barry Melrose is your top man, something is wrong. Darren Pang was a good choice, goaltenders always have a lot of understanding of the game, but Pang is just drab, unentertaining... he may know a lot but I think he's afraid to say it all (might be too confusing to viewers!).

An example of commentators... with 10 seconds to go in game 7 of the stanley cup finals last year the ABC guy was going on about something the whole time, even after the game ended. On CBC Bob Cole says "15 seconds to go, I'll let the New Jersey crowd call the rest of this one"... does it get better than that? Who wants to hear some yahoo yap away when their team is about to win the cup?

ESPN and hockey don't mix... anyone who has seen CBC, TSN, or RSN then watched ESPN or ABC coverage of hockey will agree.

And no Andy, just because you play hockey, does not make your opinion any more important than mine on this subject.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

ESPN isn't exactly great. And the time they give to actually show hockey is inferior. 1-3 nights on ESPN? ESPN2 gets one or two nights. While the NBA gets 2 nights on ESPN, 2 nights on TNT, and a doubleheader on ABC?

ESPN for its defense, doesn't have the pool to pick that CBC, SportsNet, or TSN/RDS has for talent. Granted, most of the guys they originally hired in 1992-93 are still there because there is no one to come down to the US to commentate on hockey. Mike Emrick and John Davidson are limited to their local broadcasts. Of course, if you were a former player or coach, and had a choice between HNiC or ESPN, where would you go?

While we can blame ESPN for its knowledge. Look who they grabbed for the NBA? It's ovious they don;t care about it. Just happy to have all 4 major sports on the network. If they could, they'd have it on as much as MLS. Example: which gets more play? Last year's World Series of Poker (which I like) or NHL coverage. NHL2Night is only on after games on ESPN2. Twice a night? Come on! NFL has a show on once or twice a month in the offseason! MLB does as well. NBA we'll see. NHL? ESPN is like, hockey? LOL

One more thing, on ESPN's reality show, Dream Job (where fans try to win an anchor spot on SportsCenter) was one of the few guys that did a hockey highlight. The guy was doing Hull 700th goal vs. San Jose. Hull was shown beating Evgeni Nabokov which is pronounced Yev-geni Na-bok-ov. The guy pronounced it Ev-jenny New-buke-ev. How did ESPN (who made stat sheets for him for the highlight) get away with that? Another slap to the face.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

On that goaltender note, don't you wish Ken Dryden did comentary? I mean, he's probably the best hockey guy I've ever read. He was OK on Hockey Day too. I think he's the most intelligent man in hockey.

and he's a lawyer! B)

One more thing, on ESPN's reality show, Dream Job (where fans try to win an anchor spot on SportsCenter) was one of the few guys that did a hockey highlight. The guy was doing Hull 700th goal vs. San Jose. Hull was shown beating Evgeni Nabokov which is pronounced Yev-geni Na-bok-ov. The guy pronounced it Ev-jenny New-buke-ev. How did ESPN (who made stat sheets for him for the highlight) get away with that? Another slap to the face.

Actually, he was corrected in his pronounciation by Al Jaffe (I think that's his name). He did lose points for it.

On that goaltender note, don't you wish Ken Dryden did comentary? I mean, he's probably the best hockey guy I've ever read. He was OK on Hockey Day too. I think he's the most intelligent man in hockey.

and he's a lawyer! B)

Apparently, he was a very good one also.

I say I don't care about the coverage and yes I know ESPN covers hockey as the 4th maybe 5th with college football and college basketball.

My point is Barry knows hockey, Darren Pang knows it, Clement knows hockey. They all played the game. They know the game. They have their own opinions can't yell at them for that. TSN has 2 morons running their WJHC coverage which one of them does work for AHL show.

ESPN knows hockey. I even said ESPN doesn't do good coverage on the game. TSN and CBC do a great job.

But my point is ESPN knows hockey. They played the game. No my opinion isn't more important than yours. Playing and now coaching hockey for such a long time makes you have more knowledge on the game.

Dream Job - I think the same guy said it was a cross court pass. Which hockey isn't a court unless you count roller/inline.

Guest -*CC97*-

So your argument is that ESPN commentators are better, and more knowledgeable than TSN commentators?

If so that is laughable.

Have you ever even watched TSN?

On CBC Bob Cole says "15 seconds to go, I'll let the New Jersey crowd call the rest of this one"...   does it get better than that?

No it doesn't actually, I like it when Bob Cole shuts up, plus I think he do it more often too. ^_^

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

Guest -*CC97*-
Former players/coaches compared to 2 morons who work also for AHL show. Probably never touched ice in their life. Answers that.

Yeah, you've never watched TSN.

You're comparing the PBP team for the World Junior Championships on TSN to the regular NHL staff with ESPN.

This is a garbage thread.

Guest -*CC97*-
I've watched TSN....it's great. I was at a Bar in Fort Erie and they had it on.

ESPN KNOWS HOCKEY!

sure they do

how about you watch more than just a few minutes of a jr. broadcast on tsn before you make your opinion, hmmm?

i've watched espn, i''ve spent months in the u.s cringing through their awful analysis, and points, and just stupid stupid statements, many many times, just longing for my return to real hockey television.

in conclusion... you know crap.

ESPN isn't exactly great. And the time they give to actually show hockey is inferior. 1-3 nights on ESPN? ESPN2 gets one or two nights. While the NBA gets 2 nights on ESPN, 2 nights on TNT, and a doubleheader on ABC?

ESPN for its defense, doesn't have the pool to pick that CBC, SportsNet, or TSN/RDS has for talent. Granted, most of the guys they originally hired in 1992-93 are still there because there is no one to come down to the US to commentate on hockey. Mike Emrick and John Davidson are limited to their local broadcasts. Of course, if you were a former player or coach, and had a choice between HNiC or ESPN, where would you go?

While we can blame ESPN for its knowledge. Look who they grabbed for the NBA? It's ovious they don;t care about it. Just happy to have all 4 major sports on the network. If they could, they'd have it on as much as MLS. Example: which gets more play? Last year's World Series of Poker (which I like) or NHL coverage. NHL2Night is only on after games on ESPN2. Twice a night? Come on! NFL has a show on once or twice a month in the offseason! MLB does as well. NBA we'll see. NHL? ESPN is like, hockey? LOL

Sounds like something Don Cherrry would say, thought when he wants to he looks up the proper pronounciation once in awhile :blink:

Archived