Denver Broncos: Combining Old and New

JamieRose

I've seen a few concepts lately combining the Broncos of old and new. If you like these, it's probably only for nostalgia's sake. I like them, but if the Broncos ever wore them, I'd probably take a nice rocket ship ride into the Sun. Yay!!

Helmet

DenverBroncosUglyHelmet.png

Home

DenverBroncosUglyHome.png

Road

DenverBroncosUglyRoad.png

Alternate

DenverBroncosUglySAlt.png

Padres Throwback Crossover?

TDZiMMB.png

I was never a fan of the Padres brown and gold combo. IMO they did'nt look good on a baseball uniform and I don't think they would look very nice on a football one. But then again I might be jaded, my knothole baseball team had the same color uni's and I grew to dislike the color combo after wearing them for a year.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

First things first: the helmet is fantastic. The grey facemask makes the whole thing. It's along the same lines as what the Cardinals did for their redesign: modernized the helmet, but kept the grey facemask. While the helmet uses a modern design with a modern logo, it still retains a "throwbackiness," which I think is what you're aiming for with this whole package.

We have a middle school here in Parkersburg that (used to at least) has the same color combination. I remember watching games involving that team (back when I went to a cross-town middle school 32,319,563 years ago) and thinking that while it may not be the absolute prettiest combination, I quite like gold and brown together. It would certainly be a unique combination for the NFL. (Then again, so is orange and blue!)

I won't be one of those people and say "OMG You've got to keep those socks if you're going to do this kind of homage to the Broncos' past!!1!" nor do I think they are ugly. I personally like them, but if you're going with a more modern design (with piping and patches and swooshy stripes and the like) perhaps it'd be best to not include them and just go with a solid color?

Right now, I feel like the uniforms you've presented are somewhere in the middle between throwback and modern design. In some cases, this is the absolute best place to be. However, with these particular jerseys and this particular jersey cut, it just feels wishy-washy. With the exception of the socks, it's basically a recolor of the Bronco's tired template. Think outside the box? There's no need to use a tired, late-90's Nike template mimicked by RBK anymore.

Suggestions:

1) Keep the number typeface. That's important. It's very readable, it doesn't look dated, and most importantly, it's unique to the Broncos. It's their font and it's recognizable as such. 2) WVU had Denver-style Nike stripes for a couple of seasons, then updated to Nike's new template last year. The stripes that came up the sides of the shirts didn't go all the way out to the front of the jersey anymore, and some shoulder "slashes" were added. While I realize that RBK can't completely rip off a current Nike template, the Broncos could use a tone down/modernization of their 1998-style swooshy stripes. Make them present and continuous from armpit to the end of the pants, but don't make them gaudy. 3) With that said, put something on the shoulders as well. The "second-generation" orange jerseys the Broncos wore in the mid-60s had blue shoulder patches marked by white stripes containing the TV numbers. Perhaps do something like that with the other colors? (I.e. do something with white and yellow on the shoulders of the brown jersey and vice versa.) 4) One last thing: make the primary home jersey gold. It's what the original home jersey was in 1960. It's a very subtle way to "throw back" to that time (as opposed to blatant things like the socks :D )

You're certainly on the right track. I hope to see an update ^_^

Archived