NHL Extravaganza

IceCap

Sorry to be a critic again in this thread, but Nashville leaves a lot to be desired. You didn't really do anything on the home and roads, yes you updated the logo, but you didn't fix the t-shirt striping or the random triangle. The alt is ok but it's just the blackhawks alt template. I think you can do better.

Don't be sorry. When I say C&C Welcome I mean it, and I appreciate it.

Anyway, the logo was my primary focus here. When I first thought of a Nashville Preds concept I racked my brain thinking of a design for the home and roads. The problem being that besides silver sleeve long yokes and the blue/silver/yellow colours there's not much of a unifying factor design wise between the two uni sets the Preds have had.

Then I got thinking about ways to improve the primary logo, and I thought "what the heck, the current template is fine."

I admit I'm not happy with it, but this gets the general point across until I think of something better.

I kept the blue triangle behind the logo on the white sweater because my logo tweak meant making it primarily white. The triangle, I think, helps it stand out against the white jersey. Besides, the two "slightly different but not really" logos is one of the little uniform quirks that I think have sort of become one of the young club's traditions.

As for the alt, well yeah, I agree with you. But it was meant as a homage to a sweater of that style, so there's only so much that can be done. While I agree the home and road templates could use some serious work, I'm not sure what else could be done with the alt considering what I wanted to achieve.

After a long hiatus, the project continues with the Nashville Predators...

Bravo, Mr. Cap.

My only real gripe is that I feel there is still too much white on the home shirt and too much blue on the away, but you did reduce that problem slightly. Also, the Bettman stripes are still an eyesore, but such is Reebok.

About your third, 'tis essentially what I want to see, especially the "NASHVILLE." :P

Great job!

:P

My thinking was "the logo on the white has extra blue, so I should carry that on with the rest of the sweater."

And yes, I bow to the awareness of the current NHL. My theory after our back and forth is that the market gets 15 years, give or take a year or two, to really make an impact before I pick up the sword again.

Bettman stripes?

I think he's referring to the fact that Gary Bettman, the NHL Comish, is synonymous with the switch over to the RBK Edge sweaters, and the generic template used by Nashville, Florida, and Colorado in particular.

Bettman stripes?

I think he's referring to the fact that Gary Bettman, the NHL Comish, is synonymous with the switch over to the RBK Edge sweaters, and the generic template used by Nashville, Florida, and Colorado in particular.

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was referring to a specific set of stripes, or Bettman's folly in general.

To be fair, though, the stripe set doesn't look too bad with Nashville or Florida. I hate Colorado's new jerseys in that style, though, because their old ones were so much better.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Bettman stripes?

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was referring to a specific set of stripes, or Bettman's folly in general.

To be fair, though, the stripe set doesn't look too bad with Nashville or Florida. I hate Colorado's new jerseys in that style, though, because their old ones were so much better.

I was specifically referring to the gold "apron strings," which have been commonly called Bettman stripes in the past.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

VancouverCanucks-2.png

I modelled the alt after the Canucks' pre-NHL sweaters.

canucks_prenhl_jersey.jpg

That's not actually a Canucks sweater. The Canucks pre NHL colours were red and blue and that jersey is quite obviously from a later era. It's probably from a beer league team.

As for your concepts: the home and road are nice but that VC logo has got to go. If anything is on the shoulders it has to be the rink logo. That's their history and with the number of uniforms this team has had they need some continuity.

The template looks much better with thicker stripes. That works a lot better than the current uniform template.

I still don't like the new Canucks' number font. It looks very ugly to me. The fact that team USA uses the same font also bugs me. There's no continuity with the team's history and they just look out of place. The Canucks had used something similar to the oxford font on their uniforms since the team was formed in the 40's so they should stick to something similar. A blocky number font would look so much better.

A green third with blue stripes does not work at all for the Canucks. Not with that shade of green and not with that much of it. It's way too overpowering. Who would wear that thing?

Frankly I find the rule that third jerseys MUST be a different colour very predictable and annoying. I understand that people want something different but secondary colours don't always work for every team and the Canucks are a prime example. That's too much green! If they have to do a different colour make it a different shade of blue or a monochrome green and white concoction.

DEATH TO REEBOK

New Vancouver Canucks.

VancouverCanucks-3.png

That's not actually a Canucks sweater. The Canucks pre NHL colours were red and blue and that jersey is quite obviously from a later era. It's probably from a beer league team.

I just googled "Pre NHL Canucks sweater" and that's the only thing that came up that wasn't black and white. The colours weren't that important because I was looking for the template, not the colour scheme. Thanks for the heads-up though. I've erased the pre-NHL inspired sweater from the bunch.

As for your concepts: the home and road are nice but that VC logo has got to go. If anything is on the shoulders it has to be the rink logo. That's their history and with the number of uniforms this team has had they need some continuity.

While I admit the new rink logo is much better then the old rink logo, I still don't like it. Yes, I think it's the best choice if we're limiting ourselves to the three primaries the Canucks have used (it's better then the skate and much better then the orca), but I just felt I had that many more superior logos to work with, and felt forcing the rink in would only add clutter.

I understand the need for continuity given the number of times the Canucks have changed identities, but IMO I accomplished that with Johny Canuck. Even more so now that I've made the full body JC the primary on all three sweaters.

I still don't like the new Canucks' number font. It looks very ugly to me. The fact that team USA uses the same font also bugs me. There's no continuity with the team's history and they just look out of place. The Canucks had used something similar to the oxford font on their uniforms since the team was formed in the 40's so they should stick to something similar. A blocky number font would look so much better.

I'll just agree to disagree there. I love the new font the Canucks are using. It's got a weird "retro yet modern" feel to it, which I think perfectly embodies what the team's trying to do with their identity anyway. Which is why I kept the VC logo. I love the font.

A green third with blue stripes does not work at all for the Canucks. Not with that shade of green and not with that much of it. It's way too overpowering. Who would wear that thing?

Frankly I find the rule that third jerseys MUST be a different colour very predictable and annoying. I understand that people want something different but secondary colours don't always work for every team and the Canucks are a prime example. That's too much green! If they have to do a different colour make it a different shade of blue or a monochrome green and white concoction.

I'm not sure I share your dislike of green jerseys, but point taken. The Canucks have no history with green being a primary. Which worked out well since the new JC logo has a darker shade of blue. So I went ahead and used that as the primary for the alt, which now uses the same template as the home and roads.

With the Canucks I think a different/third colour for the alt is unavoidable, mostly because of what the Canucks have done in actuality. Not only is their alt the same colour as their home, but the striping is so similar one has to ask "what's the point?"

See the Dallas Stars for a similar phenomenon.

Anyway thanks for the C&C. Though I didn't agree with some of it I appreciate it because what you did have that I liked ended up making the concept better.

Updated Nashville Predators.

NashvillePredators-1.png

So I completely reworked the home and road templates. I've tried to simulate the tiger stripes from the logo in the shoulder yoke, and the waist stripes are based off of the sock striping.

The logo is my simplified version of the primary. The shading, light blue, orange, and details around the eyes and nose have all been eliminated to give the logo, I think, a crisper, cleaner look. The skull logo, which looks like a dead version of the primary, has been ditched in favour of the old Tower/N logo.

The alternate is based off the old Dixie Flyers sweater that Bradburry brought to my attention.

Ottawa Senators.

See below

Pretty basic stuff for the home and roads. The home and road templates are based on the ones the team had when they first entered the league. For the logos I completley ditched the Roman theme. I know, you can tie the Roman theme into the name "Senators," but the team's name references the Canadian Senate, and plays in the Canadian capitol, so I wanted to go for a strictly Canadian theme. Along with the loss of the Roman theme is the lose of the gold.

The Peace Tower/Maple Leaf alternate from their pre-Edge alts serves as the primary, as I think it's a nice subtle homage to the original bid logo the Senators used back in the early 1990's. The updated =O= logo serves as the alternate mark.

The third is a mixture of a few concepts. The current Sens' alt template serves as the base, but there's also some Birmingham Senators and Montréal Canadians influences as well. With the alt the =O= serves as the primary crest and basis for chest striping, while the Peace Tower/Maple Leaf logo serves as the alternate mark.

Ok I like that you mixed things up a little bit.

-The Predators update: the home and road sweaters are interesting but very busy. I would delete all the shoulder striping and keep the yellow curved patch, then work from there with curved striping. I kind of have an idea, if you want I could mock something up for you (not colored in, just an idea of where I would put the striping). But I don't doubt your skills and I'm sure you could come up with something.

-Senators-this is some of your better work, the home and away are really, really nice, I'm not completely sold on the peace tower but it might work. The alternate...Simplify is the word I would use here. There is too much going on on the shoulders, pick like one of the element and build around that. Also I don't think the classic chest striping matches anything. The home and road, though, and solid.

Things I like about the Senators jerseys:

- you went back to black for their home jersey

- you used simple striping on the home and away, but it still looks good

- the Peace Tower logo looks nice

- the 'wings' on the sleeves would look cool in action, I think

Things I don't like:

- the recolouring of the shoulder patch on the home jersey. The O looks weird in white.

- the shoulders on the alternate need to be simplified. I recommend eliminating the red stripe, and possibly the shoulder logo as well. Think of the 'wings' as being the sleeve logo instead.

- the chest stripes and shoulders on the alt are both great separately, but together they make for a strange jersey.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I agree with elliott. Simplify is the word, but not just for the Sens. You're having a rough start when it comes to drawing stripes yourself from skratch. For Nashville, there are too many lines inserted in the arms, make them similar to what you have at the waist. The alt is a good idea though, although you said it yourself that the idea was from another jersey. The Sens alt has the same problem as Nashville's home and road. Too much going on in there and something has to go. If you want to keep the arm stripes, erase the black/white chest stripes. If you want to keep those, then the arms will need to be consistent. Those simple changes along with a bit more of your own imput will make everything look alot better. Not much too say about the Sens home and road since you just brought back their pattern from the 90s and I don't like the tower very much, but it's not ugly.

I hope you keep trying new things though. It's nice too see some much needed creativity. Your thread is named NHL Extravaganza, so it's only fair for us to see more than a few very simple tweaks. :P

Updated Ottawa Senators.

OttawaSenators-1.png

I've ditched the "negative colour" version of the =O= alternate mark. It's now identical on both primary jerseys, save a white outline on the home blacks.

I've also simplified the alternate per the suggestions, cutting down on some of the shoulder clutter. I've also removed the chest striping, and I've simplified the template a little as well.

As for Nashville I'm open to suggestions. What's your idea elliott?

I DEFINITELY like the home and away Senators uniforms, but I'm not feeling the last one at all. The design is nice but I feel like it doesn't go with the logo. I think it would work better with the 2d senators logo or something.

Archived