MLS Redesign Series

patsox

Here's the deal. I'm sick of seeing disgusting looking templates throughout soccer. I'm sick of zippers, I'm sick of random squiggly designs, I'm sick of random piping, and I'm sick of templated designs taking center stage over the actual design of the jersey. We've seen these problems in soccer overseas and we've seen it in the MLS. This project may see a Europe sequel, but for now I'm starting in North America with MLS.

In this project I am aiming to keep designs relatively conservative and classy for the most part. I'm sure a lot of people think the MLS is a joke to begin with. Looking like a joke isn't going to help them. My inspiration is going to be somewhat based on some of the classy designs Nike has put out and kits Adidas has put out that are comparable to the Rapids' kits. Some however will be more modern than the rest. Hopefully you guys will be satisfied with most of these. If not I will respond to your constructive criticism to the best of my ability.

BTW if anyone has the MLS font, I'd appreciate you lending it to me. In the meantime the shirts and shorts are unfortunately going to remain numberless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the first team in the series, Chivas USA. I took the basic idea of what they have worn and "De-templaticized" it if you will.

ChivasHomeFinal-1.png

ChivasChangeFinal.png

UPDATE

ChivasHomeFinal2.png

ChivasSocks.png

ChivasChange2Final.png

ChivasSocksChange-1.png

Downgrades on both counts. The main problem with MLS is that Adidas is the only supplier so there is only so much variation to be had. So long as one league relies on one vendor to produce the uniform, you can count only a handful of designs being repeated. Piping, bibs, etc are ways to modify a base template to make it look different, but that only goes so far.

One thing that pops out is that the club crest are far to high. it should be lower, between the collar and the, er, nipples. nitpicking, id say the mls badge should be on the other sleeve. good start, soccer kits are a toughie. the desire to go simple often leaves you with a bland kit. seams, templates, collars and variation of fabrics can go a long way to make the bland look classic. keep it up.

im not a troll.. im just saying.. wtf is a glidden and clomex? and the stripes and stuff are lame. not saying anything against patsox, just soccer in general.

So, because youre unfamiliar with two very large paint producers, you don't like soccer. way to connect point a to point b, troll. :D

im not a troll.. im just saying.. wtf is a glidden and clomex? and the stripes and stuff are lame. not saying anything against patsox, just soccer in general.

And the Adidas stripes that I can more than guarantee you have worn on some form of clothing in your short lifetime are lame. But yeah, seriously dude, you make a great case against soccer. Keep up the good work, sport.

So, because youre unfamiliar with two very large paint producers, you don't like soccer. way to connect point a to point b, troll. :D

count me as someone unfamiliar with Glidden and Clomex. I've never been a big fan of soccer uniforms due to the fact that corporate logos take front and center on the shirt while the team logo takes a back seat un a part of the uniform unseen. It makes the uniforms look like its Team Glidden and Team Clomex instead of the two teams we are talking about.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

It upsets me to see uniforms with sponsers more prominant than the team name. You don't buy a teams gear for a sponser, you get it for the logo and the look. It's been that way in soccer for a long time and unfortunately it's making it's way into other sports, look at NFL Europe and baseball in Japan and the Carribbean. With the way the economy in this country going the way it is, I can see this coming to the States in the near future much to the fans dismay. Before long uniforms will look like NASCAR cars.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

It upsets me to see uniforms with sponsers more prominant than the team name. You don't buy a teams gear for a sponser, you get it for the logo and the look. It's been that way in soccer for a long time and unfortunately it's making it's way into other sports, look at NFL Europe and baseball in Japan and the Carribbean. With the way the economy in this country going the way it is, I can see this coming to the States in the near future much to the fans dismay. Before long uniforms will look like NASCAR cars.

i'm sure the fear that ads would run wild on kits was voiced nearly 30 years ago when liverpool put a sponsor on their shirt, but it has stayed where it was put. i think it looks fine.

Not the biggest fan of the blue being different shades for Chivas. Also not a fan of so many teams being monochrome in appearance, whether it be blue/blue/blue, red/red/red, or white/white/white.

Could you add what color socks each uniform would be with?

Here's the deal. I'm sick of seeing disgusting looking templates throughout soccer. I'm sick of zippers, I'm sick of random squiggly designs, I'm sick of random piping, and I'm sick of templated designs taking center stage over the actual design of the jersey. We've seen these problems in soccer overseas and we've seen it in the MLS. This project may see a Europe sequel, but for now I'm starting in North America with MLS.

In this project I am aiming to keep designs relatively conservative and classy for the most part. I'm sure a lot of people think the MLS is a joke to begin with. Looking like a joke isn't going to help them. My inspiration is going to be somewhat based on some of the classy designs Nike has put out and kits Adidas has put out that are comparable to the Rapids' kits. Some however will be more modern than the rest. Hopefully you guys will be satisfied with most of these. If not I will respond to your constructive criticism to the best of my ability.

Yet, all of your designs use the 3 adidas stripes and the same exact numbers. I don't like MLS uniforms either but your designs don't help at all. You took away the squiggly lines. Well, now you have extremely boring templated designs. If you really want to redesign the MLS, I would suggest coming up with completely new templates and use different number fonts, for god's sake.

Yet, all of your designs use the 3 adidas stripes and the same exact numbers. I don't like MLS uniforms either but your designs don't help at all. You took away the squiggly lines. Well, now you have extremely boring templated designs. If you really want to redesign the MLS, I would suggest coming up with completely new templates and use different number fonts, for god's sake.

I do agree with you on that point elliot, but in patsox's defense, he did say that he was sick of the squiggly designs and random piping. But I do wholeheartedly agree with you when you say that patsox should start using different number fonts, etc.

Archived