NBA Action Templates

gingerbreadmann

I love the new action template craze, and recently I said to myself that maybe it's not as hard as it seems and I can do it. Shinyhubcaps' request in that forum inspired me to do one of my own as well. Well, I plan on doing a series of them for at least basketball. Here is the first. I wanted to do a back view shot and i found that it is much easier to work with cut-out pictures. It's tough finding a cut-out one of the back side, and while I am more than capable of cutting one myself, this was 11:30 at night and I didn't feel like it. This was my first time really using layers in Inkscape, and while they can be a pain in the ass, they were useful for this purpose.

So here is a template of LeBron James sitting, presumably at the scorer's table. I have included the reference picture as well, and also some sketches for how the layout of the name and number, cut, etc. are warped, for future reference. I really want to get some feedback at this point to see what others think. Does it look alright? How is the shading? I don't know if I should continue doing this or not, but the plan is to get a variety of different shots for these, most likely including an in-action back view shot in addition. I'm not going to release anything at this point but please, tell me what you think. Thanks.

preview1.png

Just first impression, but it seems like it would be a headache putting any kind of design on to it. Sure it shows off the name and number, but other than that, I don't think the pose is means for a serviceable template.

I hear you, and it is definitely something I thought about. But my conclusion was that in a set of action templates, there would be at least one to show off things like the side and stuff in their full glory. This pose shows off the entire back side, which in a design is usually headlined by the name and number. And it's pretty easy to manipulate, I mocked up this whole thing after I saw your comment to test it out and it was easier than I thought.

preview2-1.png

That's just my take, what do others feel? If it is too limiting I will just scrap it.

Archived