Another "university threatens high school" case

DelayedPenalty

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=927276

Jim Aronowitz, a lawyer with the licensing agent, says trademark issues with high school logos are fairly common. It's left up to each college how protective it wants to be, he said.

Aronowitz said Collegiate Licensing Co. often creates a phase-out plan to ease the financial burden of changing logos.

"Our goal here is not to insist the logo be removed the next day or the next week. We want to limit the financial impact on the school," he said.

It's so common, and high schools don't really gain from it, that I don't totally blame them for thinking it's okay. You wish they were more creative, though.

However, it's also hard to blame the colleges. In fact, you just plain can't. They have to protect their identity. And the way this is being handled seems perfect on all ends.

What' sad is that I can name 3 or 4 high schools here in the St. Louis area that rip off Mizzou's logo and yet they decide to go after a school in South Dakota? Or maybe it was North Dakota....either way you get the idea.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I'm torn between this issue. As a designer, I fully back the school for protecting their image as they paid for it. Yet, on the other hand, you grow up with schools using pro or college logos to represent themselves and who they want to be like. It's kind of like imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It would be nice if these high schools would do their research and if they like a logo or whatever from a pro or college team, do the right thing and contact the school or pro team to find out the likelihood of using the logo.

What' sad is that I can name 3 or 4 high schools here in the St. Louis area that rip off Mizzou's logo and yet they decide to go after a school in South Dakota? Or maybe it was North Dakota....either way you get the idea.

The idea is that they probably haven't been made aware of those other schools yet - I guarantee they're not turning a blind eye - in fact, that's exactly how they lose their rights to their own logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The idea is that they probably haven't been made aware of those other schools yet - I guarantee they're not turning a blind eye - in fact, that's exactly how they lose their rights to their own logo.

I think his point was just that it's weird that they wouldn't be aware. They probably scout those high schools frequently, but perhaps it's people who's attention isn't on that sort of thing.

Wisconsin hasn't gone after in state schools either. The state going after another instate school is akin to a parent charging rent, only to turn around and give it back in room, board, medical, etc.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived