dcs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say no. It certainly looks like it was inspired by the one on the right, but there are plenty of logos that use a similar profile.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I'd say it was inspired, but not a straight rip-off.

Besides, high schools usually don't rip off logos from other high schools (they go to pros and/or college for that)

bYhYmxh.png

I say no. It certainly looks like it was inspired by the one on the right, but there are plenty of logos that use a similar profile.

Even considering the anchor points for the eyes are identical? (one example)

FWIW, the designer of the "ripped" logo told me any similarities were just coincedence.

The eyes are not the same. With that said, it's not to say this person couldn't have started with the original logo. It is just that there are only so many ways a bird of prey can be depicted in a similar fashion and there are bound to be similarities in details. Let's just say I'll give the designer the benefit of the doubt in this case.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I think the law states that if there's >30% similarity, it's a case of infringement. How they go about determining that number, though, I have no idea.

Put me in the camp that says they're way too similar for it to be a coincidence.

I pretty sure there is no law that says it has to be a certain amount. How could you tell?

Anyways, that logo is a complete ripoff. It's the same exact logo with some minor tweaks. Only adjusted to not get the lawsuit that they're begging for.

I heard the 30% figure when it surfaced that the Rochester Rhinos had used clip art for their logo.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

The one on the right is an original Williams Field HS, while the one on the left is the supposed design rip, belonging to Volcano Vista HS.

15s520m.png

Have a look for yourself. IllustrationClass.com

Here are the images from the tutorial and how Von explains his process. You can download it and see for yourself.

I think it is a total RIP!

001vonster.jpg

002vonster.jpg

003vonster.jpg

How many times does this need to be said...there is no 30% rule. Or a 20% or an any% rule. A rip is a rip.

This was inspired clearly by the Black Hawks logo, however I don't know if it'd get anywhere in a court of law. They are different enough but the designer of the second one should be ashamed...

Archived