MLS Expansion Concepts

raysox

So as you may or may not know, the MLS will expand by 2 teams in 2011. One team will go to Portland, one will go to Vancouver. Each team has used the same team name since the days of the NASL. Portland uses the Timbers, Vancouver goes by the Whitecaps. So I decided to do concepts for each team.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

I wanted to revamp the logo, and use a new colour scheme, like what the Sounders did this year. TalktoChuck posted a concept logo he found in another thread. I really like the design of the waves, so I based my waves off of that. I used Agency for the font, since the Canucks do. On the jerseys, I mixed some aspects of different MLS jerseys, and put EA as the sponsor, since their HQ is located in Vancouver.

Vancouver.png

Portland Timbers

I mixed 2 logos from the teams history. This old one, and the current USL logo. I added a foresty green logo into the scheme. The jerseys are somewhat modeled after the Chicago Fire's duds. I kept Toyota as the sponsor, like how the current team uses. Enjoy.

Portland.png

So C&C por favor.

For the Whitecaps, the jerseys are pretty good and it is a solid design but in the crest I think the wave is really lacking detail and is very.....one-dimensional and I think you could make it pop more. The curves on the side of that crest are really choppy too. For the Timbers, I see what you were going for, but the slanted crest looks very awkward IMO. Especially with the diagonal lines on the right side of it. On the jerseys, you should take away the yellow and green boxes that the Toyota logos are in because it is unnecessary.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I like both concepts and the watermarked wave on the whitecaps jerseys is a cool idea.

as far as I know it's likely they'll keep the name, but nothing official yet, at least in Vancouvers case.

Archived