need some advice on a KC alt logo

HotCoffey

Well, after discovering this part of CC's Sports Logos, I knew I needed to begin my own MLB redesign. I have a few sets finished, but not enough where I want to post. (I will post when I have approx. 6 or 7 done). But I NEED some help. I was trying to come up with a new alternate logo for KC Royals, and I sketched up this lion. I took the crown off the current Royals logo and added a few minor details to it. I keep playing around with the colors of the face/mane, but nothing seems to be right. I wanted the crown to remain Royals gold, but it seems like I may have to change that. But please, any advice would be great. Please do not edit, I know I am logged in on Photobucket. Thanks!

http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv204/J...ternatelogo.jpg

P.S.: How does everyone put there redesign logos/jerseys together? i know they do not link to photobucket like I did (I think). Could someone help me out with this as well?

THANKS! C+C please!

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

also, I was thinking of resketching the mane, because I kind of think it looks like a wig. Do you think that's necessary?

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

What's the point of the blue "diamond"? Also, to avoid further "bashing" (knowing our peers of CCSLC), I would try and clean it up. The crown looks forced and too small. The mane seems for like human hair rather than an actual mane. It needs some work, but it may has potential.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

What's the point of the blue "diamond"? Also, to avoid further "bashing" (knowing our peers of CCSLC), I would try and clean it up. The crown looks forced and too small. The mane seems for like human hair rather than an actual mane. It needs some work, but it may has potential.

It's not bashing, it's constructive criticism. <_<

I would consider something a bit more streamlined. Maybe use colors closer to the Royals' actual colors?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

ok thanks for the advice! Yes, when I drew it up I thought it was perfect (it looks better on the original paper than it does on my computer! :P ). But after spending so much time looking at it to try to fix the coloring, I know that it needs some work. To answer your questions:

- the diamonds (jewels on the crown): the gold ones represent the Royals 2 AL pennants, and the red one represents their lone championship. I kinda think it is forced, but having only one diamond on there would look REALLY dumb. I'm thinking of taking the diamonds out, though.

- I never considered the size of the crown, but now it does look small and out of place

- and yes, the mane DOES look like a wig!

It's not bashing, it's constructive criticism. <_<

I would consider something a bit more streamlined. Maybe use colors closer to the Royals' actual colors?

yeah, i consider it CC, not bashing :)

thats what i was thinking. I have been playing with radicals such as a blue mane, blue face, dark gray face. no color combination so far has worked to my 100% liking. How do you feel about the illustration itself? Does it still need work or do the colors only need to be changed?

Thank you!

ok thanks for the advice! Yes, when I drew it up I thought it was perfect (it looks better on the original paper than it does on my computer! :P ). But after spending so much time looking at it to try to fix the coloring, I know that it needs some work. To answer your questions:

- the diamonds (jewels on the crown): the gold ones represent the Royals 2 AL pennants, and the red one represents their lone championship. I kinda think it is forced, but having only one diamond on there would look REALLY dumb. I'm thinking of taking the diamonds out, though.

- I never considered the size of the crown, but now it does look small and out of place

Haha, just keep on working on it and soon it'll be nice.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Haha, just keep on working on it and soon it'll be nice.

haha, yeah i will spend much of my off day tomorrow working on it. :)

Any Alt. logo should have carolina blue in it and "slugger" the mascot lion!!!

Go Royals - rooting for the boys in blue! Yankees stink!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

bump

any more suggestions?

I would have the lion facing the side or 3/4 of an angle. I think lions are always more recognizable from those angles than from the front.

Your concept is more of a drawing of a lion than a logo. You look at most logos and they're mostly shapes and text layered upon each other to make shading and highlighting to make something coherent. Instead of drawing a lion and filling it in, which it looks like you've done. So where I'd start off is looking at other lion logos and pictures of lions to reference from to get an idea of how those logos where put together.

Also, don't really worry about making the lion look like a lion when it comes to the colors. Take the Detroit Lions for example, I don't think anyone has actually ever seen a blue lion before. So use the Royals colors as much as possible.

Hope this helped you out a bit, cause I think you have a good idea. I just know how frustrating it can be translating the idea from your head into something real on the computer.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I would have the lion facing the side or 3/4 of an angle. I think lions are always more recognizable from those angles than from the front.

Your concept is more of a drawing of a lion than a logo. You look at most logos and they're mostly shapes and text layered upon each other to make shading and highlighting to make something coherent. Instead of drawing a lion and filling it in, which it looks like you've done. So where I'd start off is looking at other lion logos and pictures of lions to reference from to get an idea of how those logos where put together.

Also, don't really worry about making the lion look like a lion when it comes to the colors. Take the Detroit Lions for example, I don't think anyone has actually ever seen a blue lion before. So use the Royals colors as much as possible.

Hope this helped you out a bit, cause I think you have a good idea. I just know how frustrating it can be translating the idea from your head into something real on the computer.

changing the angle to 3/4 or half is actually what i was planning to do originally. but that sketch from the front was the best I did. I like your advice of simplifying the logo, I think you are absolutely right that it should consist of more shapes than anything else. and i never thought about the detroit lions, very good point, so the colors will now be almost all royal blue with some powder blue mixed in as well. Thank you, your advice has been the most helpful so far!

I just looked at it again, and the mane is pretty Michael Bolton-esque...

michael_bolton2.jpg

The crown is also a bit weird because of the baseballs and diamonds. There's a lot of stuff that needs re-working on the first draft, but I'm sure you can make it look nice.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

LOL! yes i am currently sketching a new logo. i am basing the look off the mighty Loyal Royals of Eastern Mennonite University (yes, that's a real school). and the crown will stay the same but i am going to take the diamonds off. they add little to nothing to the logo.

LOL! yes i am currently sketching a new logo. i am basing the look off the mighty Loyal Royals of Eastern Mennonite University (yes, that's a real school). and the crown will stay the same but i am going to take the diamonds off. they add little to nothing to the logo.

Ha. I've done that, and got caught almost immediately. Can't get much past the people around here. Just make sure that if you "base" it off something you don't just rip it off like I did :P

SAU_Identity-1.png

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Ha. I've done that, and got caught almost immediately. Can't get much past the people around here. Just make sure that if you "base" it off something you don't just rip it off like I did :P

SAU_Identity-1.png

haha, yeah i get it. i was actually drawing it with the logo pulled up on my computer screen. but i was having such a hard time drawing it, that i found another lion logo (much simpler) from U of North Alabama. I am just finishing it now, and I will then upload to my computer and post on the concepts board. hopefully within the hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived