Print Design

Clarkey

I'm the Design/Graphics editor the NC State student newspaper and was curious to see if anyone out there did print media design. I know a majority of people here work or indulge in graphics, but I imagine there are more people like me that dabble in a bit of both.

i know about the page layout programs. my work is more involved with a single page type image rather than a catalog or mag spread. i have to know how to use any digital media/images. shoot a PM if you need help w something.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I work for the Atlanta Journal Consititution, so I've laid out a page or 12

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I used to work in newspapers, but mostly in ad composition and one-page designs.

I also worked in the advertising dept. of a major supermarket chain, and worked on 4-12 page weekly layouts.

Now I primarily do yellow pages advertising, but occasionally work on multi-page projects.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Purity Supermarkets, Boston area

I was laid off when we were purchased by one of our competitors, Stop & Shop, back in 1996. Then Stop & Shop was purchased by Royal Ahold, some Dutch company.

Purity Supermarkets, Boston area

I was laid off when we were purchased by one of our competitors, Stop & Shop, back in 1996. Then Stop & Shop was purchased by Royal Ahold, some Dutch company.

royal ahold owns bi-lo in the south....which they are trying to sell...probably to either publix or kroger.

i'm pretty sure royal ahold is getting out of the supermarket game.

Ah, Stop & Shop... the Ahold golden child. I used to work for Tops, another Ahold company, before they merged operations with Giant last year.

Joel, Ahold won't get out of the supermarket game, they're going to focus on it. They've been selling off non-supermarket assets, along with underperforming grocery chains (aka Bi-Lo and most of the non-US and non-European chains).

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

YOU are a royal ahold.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I'm the Communications Coordinator (volunteer) at my church. I started a few months ago, and so far the job entails a seasonal newsletter and various small distribution items... I am looking to redesign the various areas' brochures in the next little while, and we are in the process of redesigning the church logo.

So far I'm enjoying it. I certainly enjoy the production aspect of the job more than the information gathering end of things. But it's all good...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Best of Luck to you Epper...

I'm not currently in a Graphics Design Program but was wondering if it was wise that I did. I'm not doing freelance work now, but is experience enough with some publications good enough for me to put my foot in the door??

I think that a good education can help you develop an "eye" for design. Computer skills can be learned at school, or on the job. Anyone with basic computer skills can paste things up on a page. My job trains some artists from the ground up, even those with a four-year degree.

But the crash course only gives you the very basics so you can function. Courses which cover color theory, spacial relationships, creative thinking and typography will provide better insight into understanding why some design works better than others. So while you can learn some on-the-job skills, it's really only part of the whole picture (so to speak), so if you can also get an education too, you will be better off in the long run. You don't want your future art career limited to what you take in at one job, because it can end up stifling and stunting your creative growth, which is the last thing you want to happen in a field that relies so much on creativity.

Archived