Cougars - Nehl Redesign Project

paynomind

OK folks, most of you proabbly know what this is about, some don't so I will briefly review.

The NEHL had an expansion team that needed a logo. We all chipped in, helped Sterling craft his entry, and it was select for use. We looked at the rest of the league, and saw there was potential room for improvement.

Joe told us there was indeed a real possibility of our efforts being recognized and adopted by the league, but no promises, no pay, nothing guaranteed.

So, we have taken it upon ourselves to get together, mostly for the fun of it, to attempt to redesign their teams' logos, one-by-one.

First up...

cougars-sm.gif

Connecticut Cougars

I think for the sake of budgets, we should look at keeping team colors reletively similar. Also, keep in mind these logos must be able to be screened/sewn, so lets try to stay away from gardients and teeny-tiny lines.

I think with a name like cougars, we probably have some existing concepts that never went anywhere that we can adopt for this application. Or, maybe you have a brand new idea.. lets see them!

Go CCboard, go!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the first thing I'll do, is a series of thumbnails on my first impressions of a cougar and how it could be used in a logo.

Maybe post them and then some designers who maybe arent' comfortable drawing a cat can take them or reference them or whatever into their own work.

Maybe by Sat night.

Thanks for setting it up payno.

THose of you who TOTALLY can draw a cougar. Dont be offended, Do your thing. I'm jsut trying to brng in a wider number of folks who may be interested.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Well, here's my first crack at this. I'm going to do a wordmark, secondaries, uni concepts, all that good stuff later, but I wanted to throw this first version out to get some feedback on how to tweak this. There are a couple of things I want to adjust but I want to see what you guys think first. Here we go:

cougars.gif

Feedback is always welcome, and in this case, more desired than usual since this is being contributed to a worthy cause. Thanks in advance, guys!

whoa. That was FAST.

Love it.

Two things.

1) Whats with the teeth within the teeth? Looks like he has two sets kind of.

2)When the ears come out equidistant to the whiskers, it's awkward somehow. I think they should be longer or shorter, and the better of the two choices being shorter.

But I really dig it. 'Specially the perspective on the bottom teeth and stuff. Zang.

Nice.. and terriffic job toning down the colors to look professional. Nice job.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Everyone's opinion is valid, but I wouldn't touch the eyes.

They are so awesome. And the way they subtley carve out the broad flat top of the nose area with just those two pointed shapes.

shazam.

Okay, take two!

I shortened up the ears a bit, and I toned down the inner teeth. Cougars actually do have something similar to our "canine" teeth towards the in-side of the fangs. That's where the "second set" kind of came in, but admittedly they were overly exaggerated.

In the second version below, I also added some definition to the whiskers. I'm on the fence about which way to go with it, so I'll let you guys decide. Gray highlights under the whiskers or no?

cougar2.gif

I too prefer the hilites. Have you tried shortening the whiskers a tad? Something isn't sitting right with me with all of those same length points spreading out from the head. Have the ears as the farthest points away from the head. Wonderful rendering nonetheless. :D

Very nice... highlights definately work.

ΓΔΒ!

nitro...

Highlights on the whiskers is absolutely the way to go. Great work! I love everything about it.

Just as an aside to anyone out there who might be familiar with the NEHL: Do the Connecticut Cougars actually make use of Red in their current uniforms? It seems to be featured pretty prominently in the current logo, so I'm wondering if it is something that they're going to want to maintain in their unis, as well as any new logo treatment. If so, maybe we'd better take that into consideration as we move forward.

Brian in Boston

is the tongue considered "pretty prominent" ?

ΓΔΒ!

I also really like the extra depth on the whiskers. One thought though. Don't cougars usually have their ears reared back when they hiss or roar? Design-wise, I think it might make the pose look a lot softer (less angry), so I 'm all for the design you have here.

Dang, if I wasn't moving this weekend I might have a go at it myself. Hopefully I can scrounge a few hours here and there.

Excellent concept Nitro!

You know, I just popped back over to the NEHL website to see if I could find any pictures of the Cougars' uniforms and I saw their logo again.

For the life of me, I had remembered the Red as having been employed in more areas of the logo than simply the tongue. However, as paynomind points out, it is only used for the one facet of the logo. I guess what made the Red seem so "prominent" is that it stands out so boldly against the "cool" Blue and Silver of the logo. I retract my previous query.

Brian in Boston

Here is a wordmark treatment...

courgars_wordmark.gif

ΓΔΒ!

no sweat, BiB.. i was wondering if you had seen somehting I hadn't.

Did you find any jersey pics of any of the teams?

ΓΔΒ!

Archived