Cougars - Nehl Redesign Project

paynomind

Sterling, all,

I'm gonna go ahead and post a new thread for the ice cats, so we keep this one centered on the cougars.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i may be the minority here but I prefer the one with the less defined whiskers by Nitro. I dont think the whiskers should stand out that much and having it lost in the logo may actually be a good thing. Just my 2-cent.

Doh!

i may be the minority here but I prefer the one with the less defined whiskers by Nitro. I dont think the whiskers should stand out that much and having it lost in the logo may actually be a good thing. Just my 2-cent.

I actually agree... it adds an element of busyness that I don't think the logo needs... perhaps a far more subtle highlight would work, but between the two presented, I personally like the no-highlight one.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Guys, your work is phenomenal. I like the way you incorporated the serif on the C into the Cougar's ear. I think there should be a little of the lighter blue highlighting that ear, though. Something about it being solid black bugs me...if there was a strip of the lighter blue on the right side of the serif it might tie in a little better.

You both have been using lighter colors for the Cougar. The original logo had darker blues. Shouldn't the Ice Cat logo have cooler, "icey" blues and this Cougar be darker? (I'm guessing the Ice Cat is similar from what I saw in earllier posts). Especially if this Cougars team uses darker blue jerseys, then this logo will be more consistent with it.

The Worcester IceCats have a lighter blue/teal color for the Cat's head, and it's on a modified St. Louis Blues jersey, with the lighter blue/teal substituing for gold.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

"pong"

Good volley, I dont think I can ping that. You made is crisper, somehow more "intentional" than my lines and beefed them up yet simplified. Nifty. Good jorb.

I still think there is some room for tweakage....Hobogrish may or may not have a point with the mouth. I was trying (on the version he dislikes) to show that the muzzle stripe is not the same thing as where the mouth is..whatever though. I think its super close. THe tongue still bothers me, but the addition of red does not. Its just a little unclear whether its lying to one side of his inner mouth, or you are leaving room for the teeth stroke of black. Make sense?

Regardless, it is really looking very good. I am going to divert and attack the IceKitties cause I think you've got this firmly in hand. I'll keep up to speed on it though.

While looking at this one today, I was thinking that yes, you want the C to come all the way around......but it just can't. It'll be too forced and mostly interfere with the cats chin.

THAT got me thinking, well where am I viewing this cougar from exactly? The C shape eludes to one of several possibilities but also tricks your eye because of its thickness... we are either

1) Looking at a cat facing left to right, peeking through a C

2) Looking at a cat facing away from us but looking back over his shoulder to the right...in this scenario the "C" forms the ridge of his spine. This is my preferred version to view the logo from. But the c would have to get thicker, not thinner on the way down. Could complete the C in a way you haven't previously thought of though.

3)Looking at a cat facing us looking to the right...in this scenario the C works as the seem of his underbelly, but awkwardly since it is so thick by the neck. I kind of hate to look at it like this way. Hurts my brain.

4) Looking at a cat facing left to right, swiping at something with its right paw. This is my second favorite way to view it. Would be my first, but I know you dont want to extend the C to include claws and a paw so it ranks #2.

Why does any of this matter you say? Because it's happening to the viewer whether we want it to or not. Its one of those, is it a vase or two people kissing things. Our brain is trying to figure out the spacial dynamics and probably cycling between several of these at once. This may be part of why Hobogrish describes an uncomfortable sensation about the piece. I guess I just think you owe it to yourself to decide which of those 4 possibilities you WANT it to be, and nudge it ever so slightly so that it is unmistakeably THE preferred viewpoint.

Maybe this ends up having a full body secondary that results in something unexpected? We'll see.

I still think it rocks silly. Its just the final adjustments that are hard to decide on and can be very critical.

maybe I'll get to a subtle pong by Sunday and show you what I mean.

Great work though.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Well... the first - and most sensible - tweak, if extending the lower portion of the implied C is impractical, is to eliminate any other suggestion of the C.

Hey, it was a neat idea. However, either the letter comfortably fits - in its ENTIRETY - or it doesn't. If the lower portion is going to interfere with the cat's jaw/mouth, then let's eliminate the seraph-styled ear. Otherwise, you've got this pseudo-containment shape that is a pseudo-C... or, maybe it's not.

So, how do we eliminate that question on the part of people viewing the logo? Either eliminate the suggestion of a C altogether, or adjust the size of the curve of the spine of the C... thus, enlargeing the overall circumference of the C... thus, enabling the lower portion to clear the cat's jaw while completing the letter.

Does any of that make sense?

Brian in Boston

Not sure if this helps with the whole to "C" or not to "C" question. Anyways I tweaked it ever so slightly and threw in the Edmonton Oilers color pallette for grins. Just keeping things along the assumed path that the league will be saving money by using NHL uniform patterns as JS and Sterling and others have surmised.

Cougars3.gif

[edit: Nitro, I agree that the red is a bit strong for the outline. Maybe just the white spacing will do the trick, especially on a colored background. I like the simplicity of it thus far. If you'd like to see what your idea of depth shading looks like, by all means take a swing.]

That looks excellent, ro. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the red outline. Maybe something a bit less harsh? I don't know what to suggest... I'd say silver, but the Oilers don't have it in their scheme. I'm also desiring some kind of depth shading around the major brown parts for some reason, but that might just complicate things. It looks beautiful the way it is.

After thinking about it for a little while, I don't think adding depth shading would be very beneficial... Plus, you'd have to add another shade of brown/tan to the scheme, which complicates things. I think without the red outline, it looks fantastic, ro. Great job. :)

Very nice, shiz.. i'm afriad the rosterling creation is my favorite, but your cougar is top-notch, as well.

Nitro, adopting your first cougar to an Ice Cats concept? I think it would work well as one.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I've made another update. I know it's not on par with Roz's at this point, but I felt I at least should finish it.

Connecticut-Cougars-5.jpg

it's getting a lot better than when it first started. Keep wrking on it, it will get even better. :)

Doh!

Archived