LA Clippers

chickenfish13

OK, hey guys. First of all, I am mad at RichNCreamy for posting an awesome clippers concept, because I was in the middle of working on one. :cursing::P

OK, so you guys were discussing how the Clippers need a new identity. I hope I accomplished that with my concept. I will have jerseys up later.

Logos: OK. I chose new colors, because red, blue, and white are like the most common colors out there. I chose blue for water, and am not sure why I chose orange, but I think it works well. The primary is a clipper with water undernreath, and their former wordmark, with a wave like figure through it. The secondary is a sun, with a basketball, and LA at the top. I chose the sun/compass, because I have seen people do it before, and thought it worked well. I might design a anchor, or captain for a tertiary. Hope you enjoy.

LAClip-1.png

And I'm sorry RichNCreamy, I dont mean to draw attention away from yours, I personally think yours is better.

Agree with DP on each of his comments. I like the change in colors. For the wordmark, I would make the 'wave' a light gray with a thin white inline instead of the navy (even though you aren't using gray anywhere else, it wouldn't bother me to have it there only). Then you won't have the white/navy edge (which is too sharp and is breaking up the letters), and the gray would make the wave look like a nice reflection effect.

But, as DP said, the work here needs to be done on the ship. Both the body and the sails are off.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I would use one of these as reference:

http://www.destination360.com/cruises/imag...cruise-line.jpg

http://icknike.com/glaciertravelgroup-com/...yalClipper5.jpg

Mostly, look at how many sails there are and how they are dense and continually overlapping. It's gonna take a lot of line work (and you probably don't need to put THAT many sails), but you need that ton o' sails look to make it right. Also, make the sails white.

Also look at the hull of the ship. It's longer, not as far out of the water, and has somewhat smoother curves that your current logo.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

This last update looks really nice. I could actually see the Clips using something like this. The one with the navy wordmark is way better than gray. Also, the alternate logo is a huge improvement from your first one.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I did a Clippers redesign for my senior thesis project 2 years ago, so I have been down this road before. It is a hard team to create an identity for. I won't tell you to do exactly what I did, even though I think I came up with a nice solution, but I'll try to help improve what you have. First off, that anchor logo has too many small parts in it. When viewed at a small size where the anchor seems small just imagine how small the ball and "LA" are going to look. I think you can create a nice anchor logo, but it has to double as an "LA" logo too. That is to say that the LA has to be a focal point of the design. You do not need a basketball in every logo, either. As for the primary, the wordmark shouldn't have any White in it. If you want it two-toned then shade the letters that are Orange or Navy. As for the ship part of the logo...I would go back to the drawing board. What I did when creating mine was sit down surrounded by different clipper ships at different angles so you aren't drawing your logo from one singular source which may have weird lighting on it or a structural problem. This will let you get a general idea of the look of the ships, and allow you to draw one from a more dynamic angle. To be honest this looks exactly like my first draft of my Clippers redesign, only I went with Navy, Light Blue, and Orange. It later turned into Navy, Red-Orange, and Silver. I'd try what I suggested and see what you come up with. I look forward to seeing it. Also, try to avoid pointy shapes that seem to go on forever when outlined, like on the bow of your ship.

Plug....my Clippers redesigned logos can be seen in my portfolio on www.eddieraydesign.com.

Archived