Maritimes hockey

mjrbaseball

Has there ever been serious or semi-serious discussion of an NHL team in the Maritime Provinces? Not knowing much about the area's demographics, I was just curious. It seems a whole part of Canada has been left out of major league hockey. What about Halifax or Charlottetown or St. John or St. John's? (I can never keep those two straight!)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

There's really only two cities that could possibly maintain a CFL franchise, Moncton and Halifax. Moncton since it is centrally located and could draw many fans within a 2 hour radius around it from Saint John, Fredericton, PEI and Nova Scotia. Halifax has the metropolitan size combined with some smaller nearby communities. However that is only a CFL team, an NHL team is a whole step up and if there's debate over whether Hamilton can have one or not, then anywhere in the Maritimes really can't be discussed for a few years at least.

If I remmy right the CFL did have a franchise there in 1984 called the Atlantic Schoolers or so? But that franchise never did get off the ground ... would the CFL do it again if there is something to go there?? Sorry for being offtopic on that... but Halifax in the NHL?? Sounds a bit high to realize the goal but eh would be interesting...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Halifax maybe could've worked in an NHL that concentrated on being a low-payroll gate-driven regional league. In a league that thinks it can play with the big boys (it can't), there's no shot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The greater Halifax-Dartmouth area is only like 400,000 at most. How would they make money from the rest of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick? Realistically, how much of the province would be willing to drive into town for games? It's a heart says yes/head says no proposition, I fear. I'm sure a Halifax NHL team would have an awesome atmosphere, and would probably be pretty progressive and formidable in terms of scouting/development out of necessity, much like the A's and Twins in baseball, who have to find inefficiencies and untapped avenues in order to contend.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree, a team in Halifax just wouldn't work in the NHL, even if it is a really cool idea.

The CFL though, it needs to happen. The Maritime Provinces are the only region of the country not represented in the CFL. Me thinks that has to change.

I agree, a team in Halifax just wouldn't work in the NHL, even if it is a really cool idea.

The CFL though, it needs to happen. The Maritime Provinces are the only region of the country not represented in the CFL. Me thinks that has to change.

Really? When did Yellowknife and Iqaluit get teams? :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Really? When did Yellowknife and Iqaluit get teams? :D

You forgot Whitehorse....

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived