St. Louis Rams SOLD (pending NFL approval)

STL FANATIC

Actually, I may have misrepresented when I said permanent (mostly because I wasn't aware of what that meant yet, either).

After some further reading, the situation will be that the same FieldTurf will be used each year, stored, and re-used the next year. The previous situation was that a new edition of FieldTurf was used each year, thus never being really "broken in" and not a great surface to play on.

Don't ask me why that was the case. I know why they can't keep it rolled out all year long (outlets for conventions and such), but I have no idea why storing the same turf was previously not an option.

Sounds very similar to the situation with the fieldturf in the Superdome. With the small pellet "infill" in between the fake grass "blades", you can't just roll up sections the way you did with the ol' Astroturf (The Superdome version was dubbed "Mardi Grass"). Once it goes in for the season, it's there for the season and the Dome is only used for football (for both Tulane and Saints football games, high school tourneys and such, and the 2 college bowl games). Then it's removed. The week after the NFC championship game, I noticed trucks taking huge rolls of the field turf out of the Dome.

From around February to August, the dome is used for (usually in order): the Krewe of Endymion extravaganza (Mardi Gras party), Final Four (when we host it), monster truck rallies, car shows, motocross races, boat shows, indoor carnival ride "fun fairs" convention stuff, and concerts (especially Essence Fest on 4th of July week/ weekend). Not long after the essence fest, the field turf gets re-installed in time for pre-season football.

Although the Superdome was designed to accomodate baseball, there are no longer MLB exhibition games, Tulane-LSU baseball games, or any other baseball games for that matter. It was a terrible venue for baseball, and the end of Astroturf as the dome's field surface put the final nail in that coffin.

It is what it is.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stan Kroenke to exercise matching rights to Rams sale.

Well...um....that's a surprise. What, with Goodell saying the NFL will not waive its cross-ownership rules for him a couple weeks ago and all.

Denver fans, have there been any rumblings that the Nuggets and Avalanche are on the market? Arsenal fans, what's the latest on any possible takeover attempt by Kroenke?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Stan Kroenke to exercise matching rights to Rams sale.

Well...um....that's a surprise. What, with Goodell saying the NFL will not waive its cross-ownership rules for him a couple weeks ago and all.

Denver fans, have there been any rumblings that the Nuggets and Avalanche are on the market? Arsenal fans, what's the latest on any possible takeover attempt by Kroenke?

15.9% of Arsenal shares are apparently up for sale.

Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith Hires Blackstone Group over Arsenal Shares

Nobody really knows what to do with this it seems. I'm confident Stan's not up to some evil scheme to just maximize money (although I wouldn't doubt that he'll be maximizing money however he does this), so to me it's just another owner committed to St. Louis (he hasn't completely said that, so there may still be some doubt), and that's a good thing.

That said, I have no idea how he intends to actually pull this off, and I was very excited about the potential of Shad Khan purchasing the Rams.

I THINK the situation continues to point towards the Rams remaining in St. Louis, but a day ago, it seemed straight forward, now it's gotten a little more uneasy.

Nobody really knows what to do with this it seems. I'm confident Stan's not up to some evil scheme to just maximize money (although I wouldn't doubt that he'll be maximizing money however he does this), so to me it's just another owner committed to St. Louis (he hasn't completely said that, so there may still be some doubt), and that's a good thing.

That said, I have no idea how he intends to actually pull this off, and I was very excited about the potential of Shad Khan purchasing the Rams.

I THINK the situation continues to point towards the Rams remaining in St. Louis, but a day ago, it seemed straight forward, now it's gotten a little more uneasy.

Stan may try to buy, but it will not be his own money.

Rich folks do not use their own money to buy teams. They try to get others to assist so they use less cash and then have debt to pay off. Looking at Arsenal, US owners should see what not to do, but with Randy Lerner and Aston Villa, it is cool (yet Browns fans hate with a cap). Liverpool is in debt since Hicks/Gillette borrowed off of their worth to think that the team's sale would be more than their actual value. They did not get a stadium built and then the economy fell more.

Gillett sold the Habs/Bell Centre and his NASCAR team as he could never assume all the debt of owning. Hicks has faced the same issue. It is not the price, it the the debt they assume since they don't use their own cash.

That's fine, but I'm pretty sure Kroenke could afford it. With his own money. The thing stopping him is the NFL's rule. And that's where the confusion comes in.

Billionaires do not buy teams with their own money. They get investors to assist with the debt and buy a team to possibly keep or flip. The debt on the team keeps them from holding the team as mush as they really want it to. It is the short term debt which people do not realize is a burden.

That's fine, but I'm pretty sure Kroenke could afford it. With his own money. The thing stopping him is the NFL's rule. And that's where the confusion comes in.

Billionaires do not buy teams with their own money. They get investors to assist with the debt and buy a team to possibly keep or flip. The debt on the team keeps them from holding the team as mush as they really want it to. It is the short term debt which people do not realize is a burden.

So is it through debt that Kroenke has assembled a Colorado sports empire that includes facilities and franchises?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, this is interesting...maybe things aren't quite going as planned? Or is this a last-ditch attempt at getting the Rams for Rich Mustache Man #2? What will happen to the Rich-n-Creamies and Avs if Kroenke ends up selling them?

Dare I say, Utah Avalanche? C'mon Checketts, stick it to Kroenke!! Trade the Blues for the Avs!! :P

That said, I have no idea how he intends to actually pull this off...

It could be as simple as Stan Kroenke transferring control of Kroenke Sports Enterprises (parent organization of the Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth, Colorado Rapids and Denver Nuggets) to his son, Josh, who is already an executive with the Nuggets. Truth be told, Stan's probably already lobbying Roger Goodell and the NFL owners - including his fellow Denver sports magnate, Pat Bowlen - to see whether or not such a move would pass muster with them.

It could be as simple as Stan Kroenke transferring control of Kroenke Sports Enterprises (parent organization of the Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth, Colorado Rapids and Denver Nuggets) to his son, Josh, who is already an executive with the Nuggets. Truth be told, Stan's probably already lobbying Roger Goodell and the NFL owners - including his fellow Denver sports magnate, Pat Bowlen - to see whether or not such a move would pass muster with them.

It's likely that there would be a gift tax issue that Kroenke might also have to overcome for the transfer, but he could still probably eat it.

Oh, and to add to everyone's possible consternation, Kroenke is on the NFL's Los Angeles Stadium committee. You have to think that whatever was paid in for the Rosenbloom's stake plus gift taxes would still be a bargain for a Los Angeles-based NFL franchise, right?

Today, we are all otaku.

Oh, I'm certain Stan has something up his sleeve whether it's a transfer like you mentioned or a belief that he has enough allies in the NFL to exempt him.

Nonetheless, just a couple of weeks ago Roger Goodell specifically addressed this by essentially saying "never say never, but probably never". And, reportedly, he surprised most of his associates with this decision, so whatever lobbying he's been doing behind the scenes has been VERY MUCH behind the scenes.

He's rarely unsuccessful though, so I suspect one way or another he's got something solid planned.

In St. Louis, some panic has started to set it. Mostly in an effort to push Kroenke to make further, more clear, comments, local writers (led by the ever prominent Bernie Miklasz) have been noting the lack of any commitment to St. Louis by Kroenke (in his statement and recent activity) and his apparent ties to LA. I think the hope is that he'll come out and make a commitment (of some kind) to St. Louis, but Kroenke rarely says anything, so instead it's just more uneasiness here in St. Louis.

I like Kroenke, and I THINK he'll be committed to working out the situation in St. Louis, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable in the NFL just flat told him no and approved Shad Khan's bid.

So is it through debt that Kroenke has assembled a Colorado sports empire that includes facilities and franchises?

One really cannot tell as his holdings cannot tell you how indebted his may be. Kroenke Sports Enterprises, is based in Delaware where there is no regulatory requirement to file annual accounts (also why many people incorporate in Delaware). THF Realty, his St. Louis-based company, but there is now way to validate claims of having grown into a $2bn concern since he set it up in 1991 as no paperwork is available for public scrutiny.

Generally, guys do not pay cash for teams. Mark Cuban has publicly stated that he was not going to pay cash for the Cubs and that the incurred debt would not be good for the payroll which the fans expect the team to have in terms of competition.

Remember Paul Allen, #37 on Forbes' 2010 list opposed to Kroenke's #347, allowed the Rose Garden to go bankrupt as opposed to pay the debt on it even when the suites were 100% sold and arena capacity was at 95%. He could have easily written a check, but did not. Ultra-wealthy do not roll like that in sports since they cannot always make a profit as they do in other businesses.

It's likely that there would be a gift tax issue that Kroenke might also have to overcome for the transfer, but he could still probably eat it.

Oh, and to add to everyone's possible consternation, Kroenke is on the NFL's Los Angeles Stadium committee. You have to think that whatever was paid in for the Rosenbloom's stake plus gift taxes would still be a bargain for a Los Angeles-based NFL franchise, right?

Well it seems that AEG is looking to complete its downtown project with a new stadium.

AEG talks of a new downtowm LA stadium

Wow - that adds an interesting dimension.

Generally, guys do not pay cash for teams. Mark Cuban has publicly stated that he was not going to pay cash for the Cubs and that the incurred debt would not be good for the payroll which the fans expect the team to have in terms of competition.

Remember Paul Allen, #37 on Forbes' 2010 list opposed to Kroenke's #347, allowed the Rose Garden to go bankrupt as opposed to pay the debt on it even when the suites were 100% sold and arena capacity was at 95%. He could have easily written a check, but did not. Ultra-wealthy do not roll like that in sports since they cannot always make a profit as they do in other businesses.

True enough. And not just sports - Steven Spielberg has been trying to raise money for his pet film Lincoln for years. Tell me he can't write a check for $50M out of his own account. But no, why spend your own money when you can spend somebody else's?

The latest on this story has Kroenke potentially "greenmailing" Shad Khan.

Basically, Kroenke doesn't really want to own 100% of the Rams, he just wants to get paid to back off. He either wants a larger amount for his 40% or he wants a large one time payment to keep his 40% but back-off and let the sale to Khan go through. Reportedly he's asking for as much as 100 million to just back off.

By exercising his rights in the meantime, he buys time for Khan or somebody else to pony up. And if that doesn't happen, maybe he manages to work something out with the NFL.

None of that is confirmed, though. Because Kroenke keeps everything tight, it may be some time before anybody knows what is really going on. And that really sucks for fans trying to find positives.

Read more: http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-extra-points/bernies-extra-points/bernies-5-minutes/2010/04/does-kroenke-want-to-get-paid-other-monday-bernie-bytes/

Stan needs the cash to buy a better hairpiece. Between the rug and the moustache, he seriously looks like a child molester.

5kroenke_248434t.jpg

This guy tried to give Matt Duchene a ride home from practice in a windowless van.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The latest on this story has Kroenke potentially "greenmailing" Shad Khan.

Basically, Kroenke doesn't really want to own 100% of the Rams, he just wants to get paid to back off. He either wants a larger amount for his 40% or he wants a large one time payment to keep his 40% but back-off and let the sale to Khan go through. Reportedly he's asking for as much as 100 million to just back off.

By exercising his rights in the meantime, he buys time for Khan or somebody else to pony up. And if that doesn't happen, maybe he manages to work something out with the NFL.

None of that is confirmed, though. Because Kroenke keeps everything tight, it may be some time before anybody knows what is really going on. And that really sucks for fans trying to find positives.

Read more: http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-extra-points/bernies-extra-points/bernies-5-minutes/2010/04/does-kroenke-want-to-get-paid-other-monday-bernie-bytes/

Of course Bernie doesn't bother linking to said article.

Of course the article is behind a bloody paywall. Shame we have no information about who these anonymous sources are, and whether or not they are as fictional as Bernie's post-John Shaw.

Today, we are all otaku.

Can't really feel comfortable until things shake out a little clearer (and in the case of Stan, that may not be until crunch time in 2014), but Kroenke came out pretty adamantly that he is devoted to St. Louis and his intentions are to keep them there.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/730C75DCD32D2FBF8625770C001E63A1?OpenDocument

Well, of course he's saying that now. He needs to win the PR battle if has any hopes of getting either the team or his greenmail.

And "I'll do my damnedest (to keep the Rams in St. Louis)" isn't exactly a guarantee. Wait until it's time for St. Louis to build him a brand new stadium in a couple years.

Talk about over a barrel - Missouri will have to pony up the better part of a billion dollars to keep the Rams.

Archived