Soccer "Kits" question.

charger77

soccer jerseys are called shirts ;) the kit, technically speaking, is everything a soccer player wears, but generally refers to the shirt, shorts and socks. I'm not sure myself how that term came about, though...aaaaand gordie beat me to it

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

To agree with the other posts and give a translation:

Shirt = Jersey

Strip = Uniform

Kit = Uniform + boots, shinpads, goalie gloves etc

'Strip' and 'kit' could both be used to describe the shirts, shorts and socks; but only 'kit' would be used to describe everything a player wears on the pitch.

ps. Pitch = Field, since I realise that's not a term used much across the pond. Perhaps I should attempt a full dictionary... :D

i've been lead to believe by the interwebs that there was once a golden age when entire uniforms were packaged as a single unit for purchase.

liverpool_1982_home_umbro_kit_box.jpg

liverpool_1982_home_umbro_kit.jpg

not sure if this was a "kids only" thing like those wilson replica (american/gridiron) football uniform sets we had here in the states.

31-75770-F.jpg

i've been lead to believe by the interwebs that there was once a golden age when entire uniforms were packaged as a single unit for purchase.

Yeah, I was bought this for my birthday when I was a kid. It came with the shorts and socks in a lovely box, similar to the one you showed only it opened like a shoebox.

ac-milan-home-shirt-1994-to-1995-s_2037_1_500x400.jpg

You'll notice there's no crest on the shirt. It came with both the Scudetto and Champions League trophy badges (you can see them in the bag attached to the collar), which could be sewn onto the shirt. I went with the scudetto.

Yeah, I was bought this for my birthday when I was a kid. It came with the shorts and socks in a lovely box, similar to the one you showed only it opened like a shoebox.

You'll notice there's no crest on the shirt. It came with both the Scudetto and Champions League trophy badges (you can see them in the bag attached to the collar), which could be sewn onto the shirt. I went with the scudetto.

I had the same shirt in short sleeve! I went scudetto too. Back in the early 90's, Lotto included both with the Milan shirt every year they won Serie A. The first year adidas picked them up, they didn't include the scudetto, and they didn't match what they were actually wearing on the field because the team was wearing the scudetto and all the replica shirts had the team badge.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Well, according to what I've seen, AC Milan were extremely late when it came to the "Put your crest on your shirt" trend. I think that they just started doing that in 1995. Compared to England where every team had been doing it since the 70s. I wonder why Milan were late with that?

But yeah, that Top Team football kit is pretty awesome-looking.

Archived