Jay's 2009 Templates

JayJaxon

I have done 2 hat templates to date, but I think this one is the best one. I'm just posting it here to see if there is any interest in the actual template after I am done. When I have completed it, I will post it on my DeviantART page for download.

There are only a couple of things I need to add, including a side panel for BP style caps, and the little air holes at the top. But after those are done, you guys can have at it! It will be in PSD. format, so perhaps someone with Photoshop or Illustrator will be able to improve it in their own way.

I'm not taking requests since I will be releasing it in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking!

Braves_Cap3.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work JJ.... and yes, I will be an active user of your PSD template. Timing is perfect as I have been reently searching the site for a quality cap template for some league work and this answers the call.

If your up to sending it early..... nbryant58@gmail.com

WOW! :notworthy: I will be using this with the next team I do. I would love to see your take on a helmet. I think that this compliments your jersey template very well too.

How did you make the logo on the hat look so realistic?

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

Thanks. To answer your question crkraider22, the first thing I did was separate the white A from the red outline. I apply a light shadow to that layer. Then I use 'Bevel and Emboss' on the red area to raise it a little then do a texture effect.

For the actual 'A', I apply a light texture and use 'Bevel and Emboss' again, along with a slight drop shadow. Then I make duplicates of that layer and nudge it just one time each until I get kind of a 3D effect. With hat logos you only need to do 3-4 duplicate layers to get the results you want.

When I do my next hat, I'll include pictures of the exact settings I use.

Hope this helps :)

Wow! Those are beautiful!! Great job!!

2 Questions:

Could you post the settings that you used to make the logo look realistic on the hat (including shadows, bevels, textures, etc...)

And, how is the progress on the full-body template?

IowaOaks.png

The textures and shadows will actually come with the template itself. I'm making it where all you have to do is change colors and add a logo.

I will be including a short tutorial on how to do the logo fo those that may have a little trouble.

As far as the full body template, I have sent it to a friend to improve some things. When I get it back, I will complete it and make it available.

The textures and shadows will actually come with the template itself. I'm making it where all you have to do is change colors and add a logo.

I will be including a short tutorial on how to do the logo fo those that may have a little trouble.

As far as the full body template, I have sent it to a friend to improve some things. When I get it back, I will complete it and make it available.

Sounds good. Just checking up on the progress. That's all.

IowaOaks.png

The template is officially available for download! You can get it here.

Hopefully, this is just the beginning. I would like to include updates as I add more. Not only that, but hopefully some Photoshop-savvy designers out there will get their hands on it and help to improve it as well.

For those of you that will need guidance placing the logo in the right spot and making it look realistic, Here is a short tutorial on how to make that happen:

This is the logo we are working with in this tutorial:

2576.gif

First things first. You have to put the logo on the cap. To do this, you will use Free Transform. To do this you can just press Ctrl+T. I included the Atlanta Braves 'A' for reference in the template. As far as I know, there is really no set way to do this. You just mess with the perspective until you get it right. Sometimes it takes me more than one time to get the logo on there the way I want it. One important note though: You need to use Perspecitve to make the logo seem as if it's laying down on the cap. To use the Perspective feature, just right-click in the box while you are using Free Transform.

Now that the logo is on the cap, we can separate the parts we are going to bevel from the parts we are not. In this case, all of the white around the 'A' in the Angels logo will have to be lying on the cap while the rest sticks out. To do this, I use the Magic Wand. Here are the settings I use:

wand.png

Now you will notice that Contiguous is not checked. The default setting is for it to be checked, and you will need to un-check it for some logos. With it un-checked, when you click an area, it will select all of the areas with the same color. If you need to check several colors at once, just hold down the Shift Key while you click.

After you have selected the whole area that will be beveled, you will Copy the selection Ctrl+C and paste it in a new layer Ctrl+V. Now you can go back to the first layer (The one that will stay flat) and apply a small drop shadow to it. I put my distance either 1 or 2 for the drop shadow.

Go back to your new layer and apply Bevel and Emboss

It will start out looking like this:

Step1.png

But you don't want the logo to look like it has a lot of shine to it, so I make the Highlight Mode a dark Gray or sometimes black depending on the logo, as seen here:

Step2.png

I'm going to continue this in a new post...

Now that you have applied Bevel and Emboss, you need to apply a texture to it. I have been using Dark Coarse Weave for my texture. It comes default in Photoshop. This is another one of those things that you can play around with the settings, but this is what I use for most Logos:

Step3.png

Now is where you really start seeing it come together. Make a duplicate of that layer by pressing Ctrl+J. The new layer will appear above the old one and it will be selected already. Select your move tool, and use the arrow key to move it 1 time to the left. Now duplicate that layer and move it once to the left as well. Continue doing this until it looks raised. I did it 3 times with this one, and so far I haven't done it more than 4 times for a single logo. Now it will look like this:

Step4.png

At this point, you can merge all layers having to do with your cap logo. Now it's just one layer. For this particular cap, all I have to do now is change the color of the bill and I'm done:

Step5.png

I hope this helps someone. If anyone comes up with a better method to do this, I would love to hear form you!

Thanks to everyone that has checked this out and I can't wait to see people using it.

Looks great, Jay! I might give this a shot.

BTW, any chance of the sigs from 2.0 being finalized?

Yea, I'll make sure to get those done. Sorry about that. After I started this book project, I spent a lot of time looking for the right pose to use for a template.

Now that the hat is pretty much done, I can concentrate on the other stuff I was working on before.

This is a great template, the follow is what I came up with after following the tutorial as well. This seems to be really easy to use and the tut is really easy to understand, major props for all of this, I'm sure it will help alot of fellow photoshop users on these boards and over at DA as well. I don't see much that could be improved on this.

PiratesHat.png

crkraider22, that's a sweet looking hat! By the way, I meant for you guys to delete the message after you read it :)

RoughRiders9, I got your PM and I sent it...you didn't get it yet?

crkraider22, that's a sweet looking hat! By the way, I meant for you guys to delete the message after you read it :)

RoughRiders9, I got your PM and I sent it...you didn't get it yet?

I knew that, I didn't remember seeing it being posted like that and I thought it would get some more attention of other PS users to try the template.

Archived