Pittsburgh Steelers

rentz

tnsnfl.png

Part III was supposed to be the Denver Broncos... but then inspiration struck and it is now the Pittsburgh Steelers!

The Steelers are arguably the most successful franchise of NFL history, and definitely the most of the Super Bowl era. However, their uniforms, while classic, don't really come together as a cohesive unit. Their sleeve stripes in particular receive scrutiny, as they are an outdated design that simply doesn't work with today's sleeves. So, the goal of this redesign was to bring some consistency to the uniforms, as well as establish an identity for the Steelers.

I don't know how many will be fans of the new wordmark... the Steelers' stencil mark is very recognizable. However, this is what prompted this redesign--while working on the Broncos, I was using a font that I thought would be absolutely perfect for the Steelers. So that is what is used for the wordmarks and number font. The Steelers have a great symbol that instantly says "Steelers" when one sees it--terrific brand recognition! However, their current primary is lacking in that it uses colors nowhere else to be found on the uniforms, and includes the wordmark which is barely legible when shrunk to that point. I also find the white circle unnecessary. So, given how instantly recognizable the three hypocycloids are, they are the new primary, and now are one color, rather than 3. While it's very abstract, I think the Steelers can get away with it.

steelersls.png

You may notice the gray that has been added... as an amendment to their current scheme, I am introducing gray as a tertiary color... I figure that a team named the Steelers needs a metallic color. (I would call it "steel" rather than gray, however Nike has forever associated that name with the atrocious new Oregon jerseys). The gray is used on the jersey and helmet stripes, which are now consistent. Sleeve stripes are an obvious change... the new look, I hope, conveys a classic look while being more applicable to todays jersey cuts. In regards to stripes, I have not changed the pants striping as I love the way the thick black stripe looks on the gold pants. However, I have added the hypocycloids to the stripe. The home unis contain absolutely no white, as I feel black and gold are strong enough colors to stand alone. The number font is an obvious change... I never felt like the current font says "Steelers", but I didn't want to simply revert to the block... and like I said, I felt like this new font really says Steelers--I'm not sure if you guys will agree, but I really dig it :P In terms of the helmets, it's just the three hypocycloids, which I think look really strong on the black. You may notice I only show one side... that is because I have not yet decided to let the Steelers keep their trademark one-sided helmets, or finally modernize them and put 'em on both. I'll let you guys help me in that regard.

steelers.png

So there you have it. This was pretty easy compared to the other two, as the logo I made was three shapes, haha.

All C+C is appreciated.

Other Redesigns in this series:

Miami Dolphins: Logos Uniforms

Buffalo Bills: Logos Uniforms

I can see what you did...I can appreciate what you did. But honestly...I wouldn't consider this an overall upgrade.

First of all, the Plumber's Gothic font used here really doesn't work as is...now, if you doctored it somewhat, it might.

A couple other points to consider:

The USS Steel Building in downtown Pittsburgh was built with unpainted steel. Know what happens to unpainted steel when it sits long enough? It rusts. Shiny steel (the color you have now) probably wouldn't fly in a city in which, well, ain't nothing shiny, for the most part. All that said, I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers use that color in a limited capacity, seeing as to how it's already the color of the border of their hypocycloid circle.

Which brings me to my next point...said hypocycloids. I myself wouldn't mind the Steelboyz adopting a one-color hypocycloid mark. I mean, we all know what they are. Just one problem...what the hypocycloids represent. Converting them to one color would kinda defeat the purpose of the different meanings. There's historical precedent for that...and trust me, if there's one thing the fine denizens of Pittsburgh have issues with, it's letting go of history. Of any sort...let alone that of their almighty idols, the Steelers...or any symbolism which represents them.

The only other real issue I have is what you said about the sleeve stripes. You mentioned in your write-up that the design of the sleeve stripes is "an outdated design that simply doesn't work with today's sleeves"--then you turn around and craft sleeve stripes that are virutally identical, if in no other way than sheer width. Those would have the same issues in modern-day applications as their current stripes do, which is why methinks you might want to either shrink them down somewhat or--hard a pill as it's gon be for Steeler nation to swallow--eradicate them entirely.

Overall, it isn't a bad design by any means. I like some of what you've done. But the wordmark and numbers, at least in current guise, just don't work for the Steelers, in my opinion. If the fine fans of Steeler nation can separate themselves from the symbolism of their tri-colored hypocycloid logo, then the one-color application could work. But, since I don't see that happening, I don't think it ever will. I myself like the way it looks here (though it also ain't the first concept I've seen where someone did this here). But putting the hypocycloids in the pants stripe is a bit overkill, as well.

But keep at it, though...this has potential, I will say that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Hmm. Good points all around. I had read about the historical precedent about their logo. I figured that at this point it has become the Steelers' brand, moreso than what it originally was, so in that regard it could be changed because it refers as much, if not more to the Football team than the Steelmark. But, I will consider what you said, and the historial significance... though honestly this is a redesign, and while I'm certain these changes wouldn't take place in real life for the reasons you said, I'm honestly going for purely aesthetic value here.

In regards to sleeve striping- it's my fault because I rendered them too wide, but I had intended the stripes to be similar to the Florida Gators', which work pretty well without the cut-off. http://dgfo.net/tebow_bcs1.jpg I think if I make them thinner and move them up, it shouldn't be a problem.

Props to you for recognizing Plumber's Gothic :P Honestly, I have a bit of a problem... I only have access to free fonts, so when I see one I think is cool, I want to put it on a concept, which may have been the case here. I'll consider the block numbers again.

And yeah, looking back at the hypocycloids on the pants- a bit excessive. I guess I was looking for some way to change the pants, but there's nothing really wrong with them now.

I get the point about the gray, but honestly I wasn't going for a metallic silver, just sort of a flat gray.

Thanks for the comment.

Which brings me to my next point...said hypocycloids. I myself wouldn't mind the Steelboyz adopting a one-color hypocycloid mark. I mean, we all know what they are. Just one problem...what the hypocycloids represent. Converting them to one color would kinda defeat the purpose of the different meanings. There's historical precedent for that...and trust me, if there's one thing the fine denizens of Pittsburgh have issues with, it's letting go of history. Of any sort...let alone that of their almighty idols, the Steelers...or any symbolism which represents them.

Yeah, that we do. I agree, this isn't really an upgrade in my probably over-biased opinion. I understand the Steelers are tough to design for because they have SO much history and design elements that scream "Steelers" now, but I'm not really feeling it for this one. I give it two "Steely McBeams" out of five.

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Here's a quick update. Logos and wordmarks are the same, because I'm waiting for a bit more feedback, but I switched Plumber's Gothic for a standard block font and made the stripes thinner.

steelers.png

I'm partial to Plumber's Gothic, but I'll see if you guys prefer this one.

in a city in which, well, ain't nothing shiny

Incorrect, sir!

I like the simplicity of just the three diamonds, though im not sure it would be strong enough to be a main logo. I dont mind the loss of the current logo, iconic as it is and even with the history behind it, it doesn't match the team at all. I don't like the addition of silver. The Steelers are Black and Gold, and nothing but. I would make the silver stripes white, (black on the road one). I like the move back to the block numbering. I'm not sure whether or not I like white or gold numbers better on the home jersey. Either could work, really. I don't like the sleeve stripes because they're too...generic IMO. I don't like the change in wordmark either, as you lose the uniqueness of the current one. Though yours does look really good.

Its hard to top what the Steelers already have, but you come real close, despite changing everything we've come to recognize the team by except the colors. :P

And I guess im an example of one of those people who cant let go to the history and uniqueness of the current stuff, especially the sleeve stripes, because I really like the current ones, and really dont understand the dislike of them. So the sleeves aren't as long as they were and they don't go all the way around, so what? Its a unique pattern that's been there for near 40 years, and has become almost iconic around here.

Oh, and there better be no logo on the other side of the helmet! :P

oBIgzrL.png

Which brings me to my next point...said hypocycloids. I myself wouldn't mind the Steelboyz adopting a one-color hypocycloid mark. I mean, we all know what they are. Just one problem...what the hypocycloids represent. Converting them to one color would kinda defeat the purpose of the different meanings. There's historical precedent for that...and trust me, if there's one thing the fine denizens of Pittsburgh have issues with, it's personal hygiene. Of any sort...let alone that of their almighty idols, the Steelers...or any symbolism which represents them.

FYF'nP

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

redneck_mentor.jpg

I can has toofpaste?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That would be funny if it were the least bit true. I remember you saying you've spent time here, but I keep finding that harder to believe with each stereotypical and mostly untrue rip on the people of Pittsburgh you make.

I could continue the argument and derail the thread further, but that'd be the dumb thing to do.

Then again, I am just an unwashed illiterate hick, like everyone else who lives here, so I guess it'd be perfectly appropriate.

At least I can feel safe in my city.

oBIgzrL.png

... We now return to our regularly scheduled programming :P

I have made a couple of updated steelmark logos. I figure if I keep the same layout of the steelmark, even with changed colors, it will still honor the history of the logo. After all, the Steelers changed the colors when they made it their logo back in the 60s. So the options I'm considering are yellow hypocycloids, the classic yellow-red-blue hypocycloids or yellow-gray-white, which fits the team's updated scheme. I also am considering going to a stencil font. Yes, their current logo isn't stenciled, but I figured it's a change that probably should have been there all along.

steelmarks.png

While I didn't want to do this from the beginning, because I've seen a lot of Steelers concepts using just an updated steelmark, it may be the best move considering the history.

Also, I've found that updating the Steelers is a lot harder than, say, the Dolphins or Bills... I basically rebranded both of them, but I'm afraid of blaspheming when I make any small change here... I'm glad I didn't go with what I was initially considering... diamondplated shoulders :P The Packers should be fun!

All suggestions are appreciated!

But you're not a hater or curmudgeon, right BBTV? Can y'all leave the partisan bashing out of a concept thread, please?

Interesting ideas. I'm not going to reiterate what others have said, but I will point out that the black jersey just doesn't look right without some white in it. The gray blends into the black too much, for sure.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think it looks perfectly fine without the white. The "steel" may need to be a tad lighter, but it would probably just fine on the actually jersey itself.

I'm confused about something. Is there a rule somewhere that mandates all dark jerseys have white elements somewhere? White isn't one of their colors. It doesn't need to be on the jersey anywhere. If a team doesn't have black in its official colors, no one is asking for black to be thrown in there just because...and it's it's widely panned when included anywhere it isn't an official color. Even if just an outline.

Still not feeling the Plumber's, Nole...but the stencil wordmark is antiquated and just doesn't fit. If it wasn't already part of their set, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I wouldn't say it's mandatory for all teams. But that jersey just doesn't look right without it, or at least without a much lighter gray. There's just not enough contrast between the elements as is.

POTD 2013-08-22

That bottom left steelmark is money, if you ask me. Well...with the exception of the wordmark font. But it still looks good even with it.

Just something to think about--or, at least, I'll give you some insight into my mind when I got about doing things like this: historically, Pittsburgh has been (and in many ways still is) an industrial, blue-collar, hard-working type of town. And if you've spent any time inside a steel mill, you know those are some HAARRRD workers up in there. And while no one can say that those are not attributes one could attribute to a plumber, the Plumbers Gothic here really just doesn't fit the "feel" of the town. I'm not sure how big your font library is, but look for something that presents more of a "bolder" presence, if you will. I wouldn't quite say ITC Machine (although if the Miami Dolphins weren't already using it for their numbers, I would suggest it), but possibly something along those lines. Hopefully I didn't just confuse you here.

(Sometimes this kind of stuff makes more sense in my own mind than it does when I try to explain it to someone.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The monitor I do my concepts on tends to be a bit inaccurate, and when viewing this one on a different monitor it became apparent the gray is too dark, so I lightened it considerably, to the gray that was the circle around the old logo... here's how it looks on the home jerseys. Personally I love how jerseys without white look (USC, Michigan), so that was what I was trying to go for here with the gray.

lgstee.png

Why does someone post in a concept thread only to bash the people in the city of the current concept? Shows a very intolerant, bigoted, and ignorant poster in my opinion.

But on to the concept. Have to be honest with you Nole, I actually liked the first incarnation the best. I say this is a concept thread, not to be taken seriously by the NFL team being redesigned. Based on that, I think a couple of tweaks to the original and you have a winner. I actually like the helmet logo but think it would be better in the gold, grey, and white hypocycloids. Secondly, I love the number font and sleeve stripes on the original post. My only change to the set would be to add a set of black alternate pants, just inverse the stripe to a thick gold.

**edit: I am also curious what a gold collar would look like on the home jersey as you have the black collar on the away one

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Which brings me to my next point...said hypocycloids. I myself wouldn't mind the Steelboyz adopting a one-color hypocycloid mark. I mean, we all know what they are. Just one problem...what the hypocycloids represent. Converting them to one color would kinda defeat the purpose of the different meanings. There's historical precedent for that...and trust me, if there's one thing the fine denizens of Pittsburgh have issues with, it's personal hygiene. Of any sort...let alone that of their almighty idols, the Steelers...or any symbolism which represents them.

FYF'nP

go away

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

I'm taking these in a bit of a new direction-- I'm trying to compromise history with what I think are positive aesthetic changes the Steelers should make.

I'm keeping the block numbers... while I quite liked the newer font, it is perhaps a bit too gaudy to be featured such on the uniforms. But I'm sorry Bucco, and I do appreciate the advice, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on the wordmarks. For one thing, I don't think it should be taken seriously as a font based on Plumbers-- the font itself was based on the old 3M logo, which was made to appear industrial. That's the look I'm going for.

The Steelmark is an alternate logo, both with and without proper colors, so in that respect I don't feel I'm losing the history because it's still in the set and would appear on merchandise and stuff. The 3 hypocycloids make a return, because I feel they are a stronger logo. However, they are now in Gold, Gray and White. Because white's in the logo, it's also returned to the uniform numbers, which I'm not sure about but couldn't find a way to work around.

steelersls-1.png

Other than white numbers, not much has changed on the uniforms... the tri-pocycloids (see what I did there??) make a return. Also, there's a new alternate... for those who have seen my Buffalo concept, one of the alternates contains the original colors, but on the new uniforms I gave them... I've sort of done the same thing here. I've applied the general design ideas of this throwback to the new design.

steelers.png

@ The Impaler-- I tried the gold collar, but it just doesn't work. While the black on the away uniform doesn't draw too much attention away from the jersey itself, I feel yellow upsets the balance of the stately black jerseys.

I know that the Steelers are one of those untouchable teams, but I'm not about to send this to Dan Rooney anyway, so I feel the changes are justified. If I were to make a realistic change to the Steelers, I would simply simplify the shoulder stripes and give them block numbers, but that's barely a concept, in my opinion.

I don't think the hypocycloids by themselves make a very good helmet logo; at least they don't the way you're showing them. If it were me, I'd use that top secondary logo as the helmet logo (with a white background in the circle), though the wordmark portion of it is a bit close to the border on the left.

The color balance on the black looks much better now.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived