Ncaa Jersey Royalties

Waffles

College players ARE paid for bringing in sales money to the University they attend. It's called an athletic scholarship, and if these kids can't appreciate the fact that a $40,000-a-year school is willing to give them a full scholarship just for playing basketball, then they're not real student-athletes and they don't deserve what they're already getting.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The ammount of whinning qand greed is sad here, none of these kids appriciate how lucky they are that somebody is paying their entire way trhough college, thats worth 4 years playing a sport that you are supposed to love playing, sigh what a shame.

Most of these players will never smell teh NBA and the edication tehy get will only help them down the road and they dont get it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The ammount of whinning qand greed is sad here, none of these kids appriciate how lucky they are that somebody is paying their entire way trhough college, thats worth 4 years playing a sport that you are supposed to love playing, sigh what a shame.

Most of these players will never smell teh NBA and the edication tehy get will only help them down the road and they dont get it.

So if I start selling thousands of authentic NJTank jerseys for $60 a pop, you won't ask for a slice of the action? Scholarships go a long way, but they don't pay the bills.

If these kids want to get paid jersey royalties so badly, then they should skip straight to the pros like BronBron and Kobe did. Oh wait...they're not good enough for that yet? Then they should shut their mouths and go to college. And scholarships don't cover enough of their expenses? Try being a REGULAR college kid that has to pay full tuition and doesn't get to miss class to take trips to Southern California every week to play a game.

sticksstones4.png

The only reason the money exists to give these kids a scholarship is because of the athletes themselves! The kids make the schools the money. They deserve a cut of it. These kids, between practicing, travel, lifting weights, and doing these things outside of the team are working more than a full time job -- so they don't have the time to get another job and afford some nicer things in their college stay. Athletes deserve a cut of the money. There is a way for the star high school basketball players.

Players that are good scholars, like Emeka Okafor and countless others would've gotten scholarships either way. Even without spots, Okafor's path through college would've been pain for and he doesn't get anything for his contribution to the school, which has results in millions of dollars over his 3 year basketball career through basketball. If he wanted to pay for nicer things that aren't given through basketball, that would require him to get a new job and leave little room for education. Pay the athletes. They do more than their part.

people don't buy #15 Syracuse jerseys because they're pretty

IUe6Hvh.png

people don't buy #15 Syracuse jerseys because they're pretty

I do. :P

If my school made as much money off me as they did off 'Melo, I'd want a piece of the action too. Many student-athletes don't come from the best financial situations and a $30,000 scholarship is really nice, but you can't send it home to help your folks or save it for a rainy day.

Exactly. That's why alot of players, (Kelley Washington of Tennessee) leave early, even if they're not ready (Washington played like, 3 games all season due to a neck injury). Alot of them just go pro for the money just so they can give it to their families.

IUe6Hvh.png

Quick...name the top five water polo players in the world.

The NCAA sends it's message loud and clear right there. The NCAA exists to provide a means for amateur athletes to compete against one another and represent their schools. Just because a person excels at basketball rather than volleyball does not mean the NCAA should allow special treatment. If these kids want to make money for playing sports so badly, I fully support their decision to go pro. Until then, they should pay their dues in college.

Not enough pocket money? Do what regular kids do...take out a student loan(*gasp* --- they can't do that! that's not pimpin!)...when they sign their Nike deals after they declare themselves draft eligible following sophomore year, those kids will have more than enough money to pay back the loans they took out.

sticksstones4.png

Because everyone who leaves early for the NBA gets a shoe contract or a big contract! *Note the sarcasm. When they start selling volleyball jerseys... then the volleyball players can worry about getting their cut of the money. How would you like it if someone used YOUR name to make money and you didn't get a cut of it? And not only that... you didn't have the time to to get another job so you couldn't make money for yourself -- and the REASON you don't have time, is, in many cases... because you're busy making you're school freakin money that YOU don't see a penny of? I sure as hell wouldn't like that and I don't think you would either.

IUe6Hvh.png

Amateur- n. 1, one who pursues an activity for pleasure instead of for material gain

(That's from the New American Webster Handy College Dictionary 1981 Edition, in case you thought I made it up)

In the 2003-04 season, the MINIMUM salary for a rookie is $366,931. In 2004-05, it will be $385,277. This is the MINIMUM salary for a player who has never played one game in the NBA. If any college basketball player is good enough to be demanding money from jersey sales, then he'll be good enough to get drafted in the NBA, and then be making $400,000 without having to do anything but sign his name. As luck would have it, he can leave college whenever he wants and declare himself draft eligible so that he won't have to worry about his school making money from him.

As for using the player's name, they're not using any names on jerseys. The NCAA prohibits that.

sticksstones4.png

I didn't say they use the names on the jerseys. I said they make money off of the jerseys because of a particular players name. Do you think people bought Syracuse jerseys with the #15 on them because they like Syracuse's font for the 1 and 5?! No. They made money off of Carmelo Anthony!

Amateur- n. 1, one who pursues an activity for pleasure instead of for material gain

1. Websters actually defines amateur as "one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession"

I don't believe that says anything about material gain.

2. The athletes wouldn't object to getting paid. So I guess by your definition... they shouldn't be known as amateurs. Because there's a good number that if they got the chance to go pro... they would. So it's not exactly their pursuit of pleasure that always gets athletes involved in sports. It's often, even in unlikely circumstances... the hope of going pro.

IUe6Hvh.png

If I had a scanner (I don't cause my folks are cheap like woah) then I'd scan the title page of the dictionary and page 26 for you, but I don't so that issue's gonna die right about now. Honestly I'm sorry to anyone if I've come off like a major a-hole on this issue, but I've always felt strongly for the preservation of amateur athleticism. It bothers me that professional athletes go to the Olympics, and it upsets me that college players are suddenly demanding to be paid for their activities.

Maybe this is one of the reasons that David Stern wants to set up a minor league system for the NBA. If it meant that an 18 year old kid could get paid for playing professional basketball instead of hiding under the guise of amateur sport, then I hafta say I'd support it. Leave the college athletics for those who are greatful enough for the education they're getting, and let the ones who demand payment go play for money in a minor league until they're ready for the NBA.

This is my last post on this issue cause otherwise I'm just gonna keep getting angry over it and that's not cool. Thanks to everyone who debated the issue with me. I value your opinions and hearing them, and I love a good debate. The defense rests now. :D

sticksstones4.png

No problem. It was fun arguing with ya. lol. I don't get too terribly touchy on the subject. I just think it's stupid to use someone's name to make money and not give them royalties... As does practically every athlete that has ever sold a jersey in college. It can't be argued that fans buy the jerseys for any reason other than to represent their favorite players. So I think money should be given to the athlete. I looked at the online version of Websters Dictionary which would explain the differences in definition. lol. Wierd how they changed it up for whatever reason.

Also... I never liked how pro athletes get to compete in the olympics either (even though the USA has dominated basketball). I always figured if you're gonna let them compete... reward Jim Thorpe (despite his deadness) his medals that he deserved that got taken away from him (unless i missed something and they already did).

IUe6Hvh.png

No problem. It was fun arguing with ya. lol. I don't get too terribly touchy on the subject. I just think it's stupid to use someone's name to make money and not give them royalties... As does practically every athlete that has ever sold a jersey in college. It can't be argued that fans buy the jerseys for any reason other than to represent their favorite players. So I think money should be given to the athlete. I looked at the online version of Websters Dictionary which would explain the differences in definition. lol. Wierd how they changed it up for whatever reason.

Also... I never liked how pro athletes get to compete in the olympics either (even though the USA has dominated basketball). I always figured if you're gonna let them compete... reward Jim Thorpe (despite his deadness) his medals that he deserved that got taken away from him (unless i missed something and they already did).

Jim Thorpe's estate did have the medals returned sometime in the 1980s.

I didn't say they use the names on the jerseys. I said they make money off of the jerseys because of a particular players name. Do you think people bought Syracuse jerseys with the #15 on them because they like Syracuse's font for the 1 and 5?! No. They made money off of Carmelo Anthony!

Wouldn't the profit then have to be shared equally by every dribblenut that ever wore #15 for Syracuse?

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived