Elite Ice Hockey Leage (UK)

Hathaway Browne

Not known to many on here I guess, but I've been working on a set of concepts and re-designs for the UK's top hockey league the EIHL.

Now I've ended up using a lot of the current logos as some of them do work fine as they are. And as some will point out some of the league logos do take strong inspiration (or outright copy) some US team logos.Anyway I'll point out which are my own logos as we go along, so there's no confusion.

Now onto the league. I've split the league into two conferences; Northern and Southern. I've also promoted some teams from the lower league to the EIHL - again I'll point out which each time I post.

I've tried to keep things as simple as possible (as I improve my skills) so each team has a Home, Away and Vintage/Third jersey.

So here we go!

I'll start with the nation's capital. The London Racers were founded in 2003, and claimed to be the heir to the Haringay Racers (1936-1958) but sadly folded in 2006, but I think its high time they made a comeback.

The '03 Racers used red and white as their colours, I'm not a fan I'll be honest (easily associated with the Detroit Red Wings). So I thought British Racing Green (or a variant thereof) would work better. Of course there's still a whiff of Red Wings in the style, just not in colour.

I also decided to use the '03 teams secondary logo and put the old primary "double winged wheel" as a secondary.

4166687881_cfde95713f_o.png

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Thanks. I'm quite proud of this - which was actually the first concept I completed. <br><br>The shoulder logo is the Racers Double Winged Wheel

4166906333_8d621132f8_m.jpg

I was going to make that part of the vintage third but it clashed with the stripes and I wanted to keep them as it is based on one of the original Racers jerseys from the Thirties (I believe).

Thanks for the comments. ^_^ I just hope I haven't peaked too soon.. :lol:

Onwards then to the next team. We now head north to the Scottish capital, Edinburgh. These are the existing logos from the team.

I haven't done much change to the colour scheme. It works fine as it is so I went along with it. I was unsure whether or not to use the wordmark on the home and road, but I think it works.

4167445954_efffcc0171_o.png
All comments welcome.

^Thanks. I'm quite proud of this - which was actually the first concept I completed. <br><br>The shoulder logo is the Racers Double Winged Wheel

4166906333_8d621132f8_m.jpg

I was going to make that part of the vintage third but it clashed with the stripes and I wanted to keep them as it is based on one of the original Racers jerseys from the Thirties (I believe).

I like this it's got a lot of character about it and the top half is great, but when you get to the bottom all the curves are all off and it loses something. If you can fix up the bottom part of the wheel so that all the tread grooves and the outer edges of the wheel work together you're on to a winner.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

They really need to bring the London Racers back. Or the Knights, even.

As for the concept, I can see why you went with green instead of red, but I'm just not feeling it. I think they went with white and red in the first place because, not only are they the colours of England's flag, but also of the city's Coat of Arms. If you think it feels too Detroit-ish (which, let's face it, it is), you could go with a Minnesota Wild-esque red and green colour scheme instead.

As for the Edinburgh Capitals set, that actually works very well! And as it happens, someone on this very forum designed that logo for them.

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I like this it's got a lot of character about it and the top half is great, but when you get to the bottom all the curves are all off and it loses something. If you can fix up the bottom part of the wheel so that all the tread grooves and the outer edges of the wheel work together you're on to a winner.

9erssteve

I'll admit I vectorised the existing logo which has all those "nuances", I'll probably go back and clean it up, like I did with the Winged R main logo.

They really need to bring the London Racers back. Or the Knights, even.

I have done the Knights logo but I went with the Racers due to the history. Having said that the Knights logo is quite good in its own right.

I think I might very well do a set for the Knights even though I doubt the city could support two teams. (With the Racers back at Ally Pally and the Knights in the O2).

As for the concept, I can see why you went with green instead of red, but I'm just not feeling it. I think they went with white and red in the first place because, not only are they the colours of England's flag, but also of the city's Coat of Arms. If you think it feels too Detroit-ish (which, let's face it, it is), you could go with a Minnesota Wild-esque red and green colour scheme instead.

Green and red would be an interesting combo for the Racers. I'll certainly give that some thought, although I had planned on using the Wild palette for the Ayr Eagles.

As for the Edinburgh Capitals set, that actually works very well! And as it happens, someone on this very forum designed that logo for them.

Really? Wow never knew that! I have to commend whoever it was as it is a fantastic logo - one of the best in the league.

The team name on the Edinburgh jerseys ruins what is otherwise a decent set. That logo's strong enough to be a crest on its own.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The team name on the Edinburgh jerseys ruins what is otherwise a decent set. That logo's strong enough to be a crest on its own.

Try telling that to every other UK based Hockey team. They all seem to insist on having unneccesary wordmarks along with or as part of their logos. <_<

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Try telling that to every other UK based Hockey team. They all seem to insist on having unneccesary wordmarks along with or as part of their logos. <_<

It's the same with almost every minor-league team here. So lame.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

^Too true.

And Mockba, I was 50-50 on it myself, its a good wordmark in its own right but it does clutter up the jersey. So..

4169270713_031df23e19_o.png

I also corrected the H on the vintage - didn't realise but it was floating away from the rest of the lettering.

Just asking, why not on the third have angled lines to mimic the flag?

Well they do have a Saltire type jersey, and I was going to do it, but being brutally honest I couldn't make it work. It kept turning out wonky. Might have another bash at it though. Espeically after looking back at this next set below - its virtually the same thing...

Anyway, onwards to another Home Country capital. Off to the Principality of Wales and Cardiff.

4166685993_6be721c645_o.png

Well they do have a Saltire type jersey, and I was going to do it, but being brutally honest I couldn't make it work. It kept turning out wonky. Might have another bash at it though. Espeically after looking back at this next set below - its virtually the same thing...

Hey, thanks for the answer. :)

Hey, thanks for the answer. :)

'twas no bother. :)

I've had a quick dabble using the Cardiff diagonals and it works.. sort of. I might do it as a 4th jersey for St. Andrew's Day games.

To go with the masses, yes, London needs to get back in the league. The concepts are great, can't wait to see what happens with Nottingham, Hull & Sheffield.

Thanks. Don't get your hopes up too much... especially for Hull I think its my weakest one.

I REALLY like the Capitals logo and home jersey!

Is that a bear head on the shoulders? Would like to see a larger version of that as well.

Nice work.

Thanks, of course I can't take credit for the logos, they do make an average jersey something else.

Sorry to disappoint, its not a bear - I can see where you're coming from though it does look like one! Its an interlocked E and C (again, not mine, already in use by the Caps).

Archived