Chad Ochocinco changing his name AGAIN

Cujo

I would buy a "Hachi Go" jersey in a heartbeat.

I would too, but I just can't buy a Bengals jersey on principal (that and they're currently up against the Bolts for the number two seed in the AFC). If they clean the design up, sure.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt anyone is trying to argue that everyone who has a problem with Ochocinco does so in part because of his melanin. And if they are, I would certainly disagree.

That said, "flamboyant" Black athletes are a favorite target of racists looking for an excuse to side-vent their prejudices. Its been that way (at least) since Muhammad Ali.

That nonsense goes back the days of the color line in baseball and probably well before that.

I know prejudice against black athletes goes back much further than Ali, but Ali is the earliest example I could think of for a guy that was such an easy target for racists. They could say all the terrible things they wanted to about Ali and claim it was because of his antics. They couldn't do the same to a guy like Jackie Robinson or Hank Aaron (who both dealt with their share of racism nonetheless).

Archived