Chad Ochocinco changing his name AGAIN

Cujo

So this silly debate got me to thinking, what would the NFL do if a player legally changed their name to say "Brady :censored:" or "Peyton Ass-hole? etc? Better yet, how great would it be to hear the announcers and the talking heads when they had to talk about those players? I don't even know if such a thing is legal but I sure wish it would happen.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this silly debate got me to thinking, what would the NFL do if a player legally changed their name to say "Brady :censored:" or "Peyton Ass-hole? etc? Better yet, how great would it be to hear the announcers and the talking heads when they had to talk about those players? I don't even know if such a thing is legal but I sure wish it would happen.

What if this was your name?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's my question to everyone who is "bothered" by this, or feels the need to kvetch about it...

Is he changing YOUR name? No, then why give a :censored:?

If someone's being an attention whore and taking away from or disrespecting the game, fans have the right to voice their complaints.

I don't really feel that way, and don't care either way, but I'm just saying. Just because something doesn't 100% directly effect you, doesn't mean you can't hold a valid opinion on it.

Now my only opinion is that I think it's silly to be doing this again, but oh well.

Chad 8-5's name changes are pretty far down the list of things going on in the NFL that are taking away from or disrespecting the game.

As far as him being an attention whore... I just don't see it. To me, a media whore is someone who makes changes in his behavior for the sole purpose of attracting media attention. Hatchi-Cinco just seems like a guy that enjoys having fun and recognizes that no matter how sterile and corporate pro football gets, it's still (supposed to be) a game. I could see him doing all the things he does now even if the media made it a point to completely ignore him.

I could see him doing all the things he does now even if the media made it a point to completely ignore him.

That's where you and I disagree. I only see him doing this because he gets press attention. But we'll never know with any degree of certainty - you and I will have to agree to disagree.

There are rules for legally changing your name.

There are some restrictions on what you may choose as your new name. Generally, the limits are as follows:

* You cannot choose a name with fraudulent intent -- meaning you intend to do something illegal. For example, you cannot legally change your name to avoid paying debts, keep from getting sued or get away with a crime.

* Your new name cannot interfere with the rights of others, which generally is defined as choosing the name of a famous person with the intent to mislead. For example, most judges will not approve your renaming yourself George Bush or William (Bill) Clinton unless you have a convincing reason not related to the famous politicians.

* You cannot use a name that would be intentionally confusing. This might be a number or punctuation -- for example, "10," "III," or "?."

* You cannot choose a name that is a racial slur.

* You cannot choose a name that could be considered a "fighting word," which includes threatening or obscene words, or words likely to incite violence.

Here's my question to everyone who is "bothered" by this, or feels the need to kvetch about it...

Agreed. I'm always entertained by Chad Johnson, Ochocinco, whatever. He's a hell of a receiver on top of that. So let him do whatever he wants to do. I'll still root for him.

Agreed. I'm always entertained by Chad Johnson, Ochocinco, whatever. He's a hell of a receiver on top of that. So let him do whatever he wants to do. I'll still root for him.

Exactly. The most entertaining thing about it to me is watching everyone get all bent out of shape over it. The actual name change itself just bores me. He wouldn't even bother if it weren't for all the outrage and debate it brings.

BB52Big.jpg

If we take for granted that he really is that desperate for attention, then it's the media's fault for falling for it. Do you really think he'd go through all the trouble of changing his name (again) if the media actually had some discresion (a lost art in journalism nowadays) and paid no mind to a guy who is obviously trying to use them?

Exactly. He's like a toddler screaming for attention. Positive attention, negative attention, doesn't matter, he's desperate for anything.

His whole act bores me.

Really? I think it's great to see someone actually show a little individuality in the NFL. The likes of TO before being humbled this season bore me. Chad Ochocinco entertains me, and is a tremendous talent to boot.

I really don't see the problem.

Exactly. He's like a toddler screaming for attention. Positive attention, negative attention, doesn't matter, he's desperate for anything.

His whole act bores me.

Really? I think it's great to see someone actually show a little individuality in the NFL. The likes of TO before being humbled this season bore me. Chad Ochocinco entertains me, and is a tremendous talent to boot.

I really don't see the problem.

But Chad doesn't need to change his name from year-to-year to keep us entertained. His play on-the-field speaks for itself, and his sideline routines always have people talking. He's good enough that he doesn't need to resort to "Hachi Go".

6uXNWAo.png

Exactly. It's not a big deal at all. So what if he wants to change his name? It's his name, let him do what he wants do.

It's the people getting bent out of shape over it that's hard to understand.

Hate to quote myself (well, not really) but this is something I posted in one of the other threads from when he first changed his name to Ochocinco. I think it still applies.

In this era of free agency and large endorsement deals, the individual players (well the stars at least) have to create their own distinct brands, which in some cases are in competition with the teams. It's not much different than any other product that we discuss in the General Design board (Pepsi, Tropicana, Right Guard, etc.)

In this era, even things like jersey numbers really belong to the players moreso than the teams - that's why barring some crazy situation, you aren't going to see TO wearing anything other than 81. In his case, the Bills were buying a product - a product that TO (or Drew R.) packaged, branded, and marketed.

I don't see the difference here. Chad Johnson Ocho Cinco is just doing what he feels that he has to to get in people's minds and further build the Ocho Cinco brand. Later on down the line, don't be surprised if you see an Ocho Cinco line of clothing, sports-nutrition products, fat-reducing grilling machines, etc. It all comes down to money - and if any of us were in that same situation (and really, it's stupid to try and judge because none of us have any idea what it's like to be in his spot, and have that kind of earning potential) we'd likely consider some wacky ideas too.

And to DG's point - to pretend that at least some of the "outrage" over this situation doesn't have racial undertones is naive at least - and insane at worst.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's the new world we live in. Anything negative said about a person of color MUST have a tinge of racism.

I think Chad's fine. His insanity entertains me. I'm cool with most anything he does.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I doubt anyone is trying to argue that everyone who has a problem with Ochocinco does so in part because of his melanin. And if they are, I would certainly disagree.

That said, "flamboyant" Black athletes are a favorite target of racists looking for an excuse to side-vent their prejudices. Its been that way (at least) since Muhammad Ali.

I would buy a "Hachi Go" jersey in a heartbeat.

Ding! That has to have something to do with it.

Wasn't Chad offered some money by a Japanese company to change his name to Hachi Go?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I doubt anyone is trying to argue that everyone who has a problem with Ochocinco does so in part because of his melanin. And if they are, I would certainly disagree.

That said, "flamboyant" Black athletes are a favorite target of racists looking for an excuse to side-vent their prejudices. Its been that way (at least) since Muhammad Ali.

That nonsense goes back the days of the color line in baseball and probably well before that.

BB52Big.jpg

That, or some people just think he is a horses a$$.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived