Nhl outdoors

RobRoberts

Here's the excerpt from Bettman's statement between periods of last night's Oiler's game:

Bettman touched on several issues, including:

- An outdoor game at Commonwealth Stadium.

"We're working on it. We're intrigued by the concept. If we can pull it off it'll be exciting, but there are a number of things that have to be worked out, including us working with the Players Association."

Discuss amongst yourselves...

Rob

As I mentioned before, another big issue with playing it in a football stadium is the extra amount of empty space between the rink and the seats.  It's make the players look really tiny. and look quite weird.  I think it'd be better if they built the rink going across the endzone.  Put up some temporary bleachers along the open side.  Isn't this what the Spurs did for basketball in the Alamodome, which was built for football?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Last night during the Calgary-NJ game, Bettman, who was on hand, made the comment that he/they wanted todo the game, but really wasn't sure of anything for sure.

I don't know why he made the comment, but he did say he didn't understand why everyone thought it would be Oilers/Flames, but that he was exploring the possability of Oilers/Rangers.

I immediately thought of Little Richard singing both anthems before the game, a-la-"Mystery Alaska."

Why though, would he slight the Flames like that while he was sitting in Calgary?  Is he really as dumb as I think he is?

Rob

I have sat in the top sections of the MCI Center in DC, the Staples Center in LA, the 300 level of the Bell Centre in Montreal and Giants Stadium.  Honestly, with the luxury boxes and levels they "need" to put in to these newer NHL arenas, the top section of Giants Stadium really isn't too high.

I actually feel closer at Giants Stadium than I did in Montreal, LA, or DC.  Only then did I find out there was a section ABOVE mine at the Bell Centre!!!!

My point is, a football stadium would be fine, and really fun.  Also, it would should be Edmonton (in dark blue) vs. Calgary (in red again).  Each team could split the profit, count it as a road game for both teams, and make tons of cash.

I'd LOVE to see Islanders - Rangers at Giants, Yankee, or Shea Stadium! (Why not the Devils?  See: Devils can't draw 16,000 until the last two rounds of the playoffs)

Rob

I can see how it works, but the thing is that I wouldn't want to sit in the sections perpendicular to the endzone because you'd have a painful time looking at the rink.

Maybe if the made the rink supersized.  :D

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived